Adele asks Spotify to remove the random button (for albums)

Caporegime
I don't remember Spotify ever having shuffle on by default on albums - maybe a change for newer users than myself while it kept my original settings?

Personally don't care what the default is as long as the option is there.

StrmGys.png

Tapping on the first song would play as normal but seems weird to have a big shuffle button and not a play button in the first place. It's bad UX which is what spotify do well.

Some very weirdly strong opinions on the matter too :o

Man of Honour
Ah mine is like that on the mobile client - I don't tend to pay much attention to it and/or mostly just fire and forget playlists rather than albums.

On the desktop client mine just plays in regular order and always has as long as I can remember and doesn't have shuffle enabled on albums.

Soldato
Having shuffle be the default option is really odd, to be fair. Back in the day there'd have been a user setting to change that to your preference, but you just get what's given to you by most app designers now.

Soldato
Now that they have complied with her request what other artists will give their demands suggestions on how Spotify should improve?
Any who want to, Spotify can choose to reject the requests it is a two way relationship remember Spotify is nothing without the music and of course massive names are going to be able to exert influence Spotify don’t want Adele’s album to land up on apple and Amazon but not with them because they wouldn’t agree to a simple interface tweak!

Man of Honour
Any who want to, Spotify can choose to reject the requests it is a two way relationship remember Spotify is nothing without the music and of course massive names are going to be able to exert influence Spotify don’t want Adele’s album to land up on apple and Amazon but not with them because they wouldn’t agree to a simple interface tweak!

I can imagine the Spotify heirarchy having no idea it was defaulted to shuffle and found out it was done by a spotty 21 year old who only plays single tracks and shuffles them to save time.

Soldato
I can imagine the Spotify heirarchy having no idea it was defaulted to shuffle and found out it was done by a spotty 21 year old who only plays single tracks and shuffles them to save time.
Highly likely, I really don’t get the negative press Adele is getting for this all she is asking is that Spotify present her work in the way she would like. No functionality has been removed and all she did was ask it’s not like she had a hissy fit and threatened to pull her music from the platform unless she got her way!

Man of Honour
Highly likely, I really don’t get the negative press Adele is getting for this all she is asking is that Spotify present her work in the way she would like. No functionality has been removed and all she did was ask it’s not like she had a hissy fit and threatened to pull her music from the platform unless she got her way!

Once the ball has started rolling with incorrect information it is difficult to right the story. Personally think it a non-story as long as the option is there.

Soldato
Spotify can choose to reject the requests it is a two way relationship remember Spotify is nothing without the music

Now that Taylor swift becames famous by advertising she was re-recording songs , wonder if spotify are somehow obliged to play the new ones, otherwise that's a waste of time.

Soldato
Now that Taylor swift becames famous by advertising she was re-recording songs , wonder if spotify are somehow obliged to play the new ones, otherwise that's a waste of time.
I would suspect both versions will be available and the fans will decide, unless Taylor tells them they won’t get her new music unless they pull the old ones then things might get interesting!

Caporegime
Having shuffle be the default option is really odd, to be fair. Back in the day there'd have been a user setting to change that to your preference, but you just get what's given to you by most app designers now.
but is it really a "shuffle" or is spotify prioritising songs by the average listening time per person in an effort to determine what people actually want to listen to

The worst thing about streaming stes is how hard it becomes to find what's worth and whats not, youtubes especially terrible for it the whole algo they use is dog poop.

anything you watched before guaranteed to be suggested to you.... people hate repeats on TV so why youtube.....

Soldato
The worst thing about streaming stes is how hard it becomes to find what's worth and whats not, youtubes especially terrible for it the whole algo they use is dog poop.
I use stevehoffman site for recommendations, reading reviews.

Hearing several reviews of Adeles 30 (how many people needed to stream it to get to #1) it does seem this is just using the current zeitgeist of over-sharing/navel-gazing your life story, (kinda like meghan), I'd say derivative too when I compare song excerpts I heard to lana del ray, Morissette, Amy ...
imagery and angst in adele is bland.

Does look like removing shuffle may have helped her album to chart as #1
https://www.officialcharts.com/media/657558/official-uk-album-chart-rules-jan-2020.pdf
So how does this all work for albums?
The 2 album tracks with the most streams are neutralised to the level of the average of the next 10 most streamed tracks on the album.
The streams of the top 12 tracks (or all tracks if an album has fewer than 12 tracks) are aggregated together and converted using a ratio of 1,000 streams = 1 album sale.
so if the first tracks are better ones could help with listener attention

Man of Honour
I like a handful of her songs but wouldnt go out the way to listen. The majority of bands churn out similar stuff, look at the Foo Fighters, literally released the same song for 20 years.

Exactly, the reason I listen to all my favourite bands eg Volbeat, Ghost, Slayer, Megadeth, Ramones, Metallica, Oasis and a 1000 others is because they write the same songs over and over.

Soldato
Hearing several reviews of Adeles 30 (how many people needed to stream it to get to #1) it does seem this is just using the current zeitgeist of over-sharing/navel-gazing your life story, (kinda like meghan), I'd say derivative too when I compare song excerpts I heard to lana del ray, Morissette, Amy ...

Modern solo "artists" are all the same, slap of lots of phoney over emoting, often with a whiny mewling voice and wait for the critics to call you "brave", social media to fawn, and the money to roll in, it's the perfect recipe to sell to a generation that thinks crying and emoting is the same as talent. Adele isn't fit to be mentioned isn the same breath as Amy, or Alanis Morrisette, or Tracy Chapman.

Same as Ed Sheeran who pould have been busking if he's been around in the 90s, she's just fortunate to be around when music is so mediocre, bland and corporate.

Soldato

Modern solo "artists" are all the same, slap of lots of phoney over emoting, often with a whiny mewling voice and wait for the critics to call you "brave", social media to fawn, and the money to roll in, it's the perfect recipe to sell to a generation that thinks crying and emoting is the same as talent. Adele isn't fit to be mentioned isn the same breath as Amy, or Alanis Morrisette, or Tracy Chapman.

Same as Ed Sheeran who pould have been busking if he's been around in the 90s, she's just fortunate to be around when music is so mediocre, bland and corporate.
The old rarely like the music of the young and each generation says the next is worse than theirs. Not a massive Adele fan but she is a good singer and a decent song writer I find it funny you compared her to two artists who are nothing like her.

Back
Top Bottom