Heat loss advice

Soldato
Hi my hallway is usually quite cold. I know by design old houses were like this but my heating system is fairly new and none in this damn home closes the doors to keep the living room cosy

Brilliant when the doors are all closed

I Got some insulation trims around the front door as it is old and i know it is a weakspot

However, i am finding it hard to establish exactly where heat is being lost in this area

Apart from getting one of those infrared cameras does anyone have any idea how i can establish where i am probably losing heat?

Soldato
What is the construction of your walls. Is there cavity insulation? Are you a terrace/semi-detached/detached?

If you have thick stone walls then these are going to absorb a lot of the heat before releasing any back.

Gaps in floorboards, around windows and doors also create a path for cold air to enter. Your roof needs to have a minimum of 300mm insulation also.

Your hallway will be coldest because the hot air will rise up the stairs, and the cold air from upstairs will sink down. So try and warm the rooms upstairs also.

Soldato
Radiator in the hallway?
This too many people don’t put radiators in halls and on landings and then wander why they are cold and suck all the heat out.

Sounds like your front door might need attention check the letter box and any key hole covers and if possible hang a heavy curtain inside it for the winter.

Soldato
OP
Yep 1 x radiator
And it does get hot with the nest is in the hallway.. Today I set the nest to 17.5C and it actually heated up the rooms nicely.

1930’s build
Brick and block mainly
Outside wall not sure if it is a cavity though]

Keeping the doors closed works but not every bleeding person in the home does that
bad habits are like comfortable beds
easy to get into but difficult to come out of.

Just wondered where the heat is being lost go to be something wrong

Soldato
if possible hang a heavy curtain inside it for the winter.
As much as I hate it, we did this as a temporary measure this winter. The difference was noticeable. Once we've had our renovations done I'm hoping a decent front door will do the trick though, I don't want a pensioner curtain to welcome guests :p

Our hallway/ground floor is so cold that's what made me start the underfloor heating thread :p Our kitchen cupboards are 12c on an evening with the heating on, can't wait to rip that out and insulate the back walls!

Soldato
Yep 1 x radiator
And it does get hot with the nest is in the hallway.. Today I set the nest to 17.5C and it actually heated up the rooms nicely.

1930’s build
Brick and block mainly
Outside wall not sure if it is a cavity though]

Keeping the doors closed works but not every bleeding person in the home does that
bad habits are like comfortable beds
easy to get into but difficult to come out of.

Just wondered where the heat is being lost go to be something wrong

I'd think your system isn't right... 17.5C shouldn't feel particularly warm. I'm sure a suggested 21c is about right for keeping comfortable... Were nesh up here so ours is set to 23c

Soldato
OP
so basically talking about the hall downstairs... that's pretty cold. upstairs is also cold but guess it dont matter as much.

I do wonder about the 17.5 also but I have established setting the temp to 17.5 in the mornings actually works
Rather than cranking up to 18-18.5C as I found the heating comes on a bit longer.

Strange and yes I also found them temps to be pretty low but it works so far.. except the cold hallway and having the front and dining room doors open.

Soldato
How well balanced are you radiators?

Check that your double glazing windows aren't set to summer mode, if the seals aren't tight you'll get a loss there too. Are the air vents shut?

How about any extraction units like bathroom or kitchen? If the wind is blowing the right direction and the vents aren't flapped you get cold air in too.

Check ceiling light fittings for holes were warm air can escape and don't forget the loft hatch for leaks, insulate it if possible.

If you are thinking about a new door soon think about one without a letter box and get a post box outside. Not only will it stop heat escaping but you'll be immune from the default OCUK attack method.

Edited to add if you have a chimney get it blocked off.

Soldato
I tend to find upstairs is 2-3c higher than the downstairs. When doors are open downstairs as normal heat's just flowing up and out.

Ceiling is about 2.7m so it feels draughty at 18/19c recently I've let rip and gone nearer 21/22c which definitely warms the house up.

I put 100mm wool under suspended ground floor and have been removing any gaps causing draughts with rubber draught excluder.

If this was my brother's 1970's house it'd be scorching at 21c typically 18-19 works well for them.

Like others have said it depends on the volume of space to be heated and that draughts are sealed up.

Associate
Hi my hallway is usually quite cold. I know by design old houses were like this but my heating system is fairly new and none in this damn home closes the doors to keep the living room cosy

Brilliant when the doors are all closed

I Got some insulation trims around the front door as it is old and i know it is a weakspot

However, i am finding it hard to establish exactly where heat is being lost in this area

Apart from getting one of those infrared cameras does anyone have any idea how i can establish where i am probably losing heat?

Where are you based (Roughly) , I have a thermal camera if it helps...

Back
Top Bottom