Extending range of nest wifi

I have 2 routers and 1 repeater from nest wifi and have terrible Internet in places in my house. The repeater for instance is in my conservatory, there's a window to outside, then the window to the kitchen, then my google home device which gets poor Internet connection. Its about 2 metres apart with 2 panels of glass separating them.
. Looking to try and resolve this issue, however I don't wish to purchase even more nest wifi devices as they are over priced and rubbish.

I have 2 netgear extenders, which I tried before to set up, but wasn't sure if they worked correctly as the Internet still seemed rubbish in the room that they were in, though they were repeating wirelessly.

Shojld the netgear repeaters work? If so, how would I confirm that they are working?

If not, what other options do I have, excluding moving the nest wifi units.

Soldato
Do you have a floorplan where the routers/repeaters are?

By Nest Wifi, is it the mesh unit? Mesh functions a little different from extenders but still requires you to place them in a place with decent signal from the host node.

Is running down a long cable possible?

Soldato
OP
Running a long cable is possible in some places as the main router is right by the front wall and I currently have 1 cat5 cable going outside and along the front to then arrive at the office for the second router which is in some mode that allows it to work and not be classed as a router.

I can run another easy, but it can only really arrive ik the loft or kitchen without causing a mess.

I'll try get a floor plan made

Soldato
OP
q7QhpIQ.jpg

i've tried to make a rough floor plan, not to scale, but hopefully gives a good idea of what we're looking at.

the green circles are the nest wifi mesh units. the main router is the one in the lounge, which has a cable that runs outside (shown as grey in plan) that connects to another nest wifi unit. the point in the dining room is connected wirelessly.

in the photo there are some red lines. these are to try and show the thick external wall places, as those house has had extensions, so some of the now internal walls were originally external thicker walls.

the upstairs space is the space of the lounge/stairs only. i just made it bigger to see it better

the red dots show the places i put netgear repeaters, but they don't seem to do anything even though the light on them seems to indicate that they are connected. the reason i think this is because for instance in the bedroom 2, right next to the repeater, our google mini can't get wifi signal. when placed downstairs it gets signal fine. but what's even more weird, is that bedroom 2 is right above the main router, so it's disappointing that literally floor boards and nothing else seem to be stopping the bedroom from getting good signal.

the kitchen, bathroom, and loft are definitely the worst spots.

the dining room is an orangery, so windows 100% all the way around the room. the kitchen also has windows. the dark blue shows the place of windows.

i can get a cable from the lounge router into the utility, kitchen, loft, and bedroom 2 fairly easily, but i'm not wishing to buy another nest wifi unit at full price to solve this problem.

Caporegime
I think you should ditch the Netgear repeaters as they are just going to confuse things. I'm not surprised with 3 Nest bases that you can't cover the whole house though - especially the kitchen. Is the Wi-Fi in the utility OK? If so, what's the Netgear repeater doing in there - is it just to try and get Wi-Fi through to the kitchen?

Do you need the Nest mesh in the dining room? I can't figure out what it's doing - if it can wirelessly connect back to the unit in the lounge then any other Wi-Fi devices can probably manage as well. If you're trying to get wireless clients to connect through the glass in the kitchen to it then I'd give up - a lot of modern glass is coated and radio signals really don't like going through it. What happens if you move the Nest Wi-Fi to the kitchen?

I'd have expected the entire upstairs to be served well enough from the single Nest unit in the lounge as the signal is just going through floors and stud walls. Turn the Netgear repeater off and see if you end up just connecting to the Nest Wi-Fi in the bedroom locations.

Soldato
OP
If so, what's the Netgear repeater doing in there - is it just to try and get Wi-Fi through to the kitchen
primarily yes.

ditch the Netgear repeaters
we ditched the one in the utility a while ago, but can unplug the bedroom one.

What happens if you move the Nest Wi-Fi to the kitchen
it's super unstable.

if it can wirelessly connect back to the unit in the lounge then any other Wi-Fi devices can probably manage as well
and also to extend wifi further into the garden as from front of lounge to rear of garden wouldn't reach, but with the point in the dining room it reaches all the garden perfectly.

a lot of modern glass is coated and radio signals really don't like going through it
perhaps, but the garden is fine through the dining room new windows, and the kitchen isn't, which has probably the first double glazing windows available in the uk so not modern at all.

urn the Netgear repeater off and see if you end up just connecting to the Nest Wi-Fi in the bedroom locations

before we put the repeater, the loft got basically nothing, which was a big issue as our heating control unit is up in the loft and we control is by our phone, so it was impossible to boost the heating or change schedules etc. the repeater wasn't in the bedroom to serve the 1st floor but the loft. i can run a cable however into the loft to help things, but the fully wall tiled bathroom still gets poor signal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom