Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
This is probably a stupid question, but do the cameras have to be plugged into the NVR or can they be plugged in anywhere on the same network? My NVR would be with all my network gear but the cameras I'd like to plug into a switch in the garage as routing cables from there to outside is much easier.

Soldato
Has anyone here used laser intrusion systems in their front drive way or garden?

Apparently a couple of my neighbours have them setup and I'm going to speak to someone later today about them.

Not sure if they're the kind of thing that the CCTV companies make and tie into an ecosystem or if it's something completely different?

Soldato
@The1nonly1 I have had six HD Hikvision cameras connected to a Netgear POE Switch for many years. In turn that connects to my NVR and our local network. My venerable NVR could only accept four HD cameras with POE, a total of eight altogether. So HD cameras do not have to be plugged directly into a NVR but they do have to be powered, hence my POE Switch.

Associate
@The1nonly1 I have had six HD Hikvision cameras connected to a Netgear POE Switch for many years. In turn that connects to my NVR and our local network. My venerable NVR could only accept four HD cameras with POE, a total of eight altogether. So HD cameras do not have to be plugged directly into a NVR but they do have to be powered, hence my POE Switch.

That's great thanks. I'll make sure I get a POE switch.

Soldato
That's great thanks. I'll make sure I get a POE switch.

Take a note of the overall Wattage that the POE switch can supply and how much each port is limited to as a guide for your needs now, and potential needs to add more cameras if and as required.

There may well be other forms of POE injectors, but a POE switch works fine for me.

Associate
Take a note of the overall Wattage that the POE switch can supply and how much each port is limited to as a guide for your needs now, and potential needs to add more cameras if and as required.

There may well be other forms of POE injectors, but a POE switch works fine for me.

Will do thanks. Never used POE before but aware of the wattages.

Soldato
Has anyone here used laser intrusion systems in their front drive way or garden?

Apparently a couple of my neighbours have them setup and I'm going to speak to someone later today about them.

Not sure if they're the kind of thing that the CCTV companies make and tie into an ecosystem or if it's something completely different?

Yes, I have 2 laser detectors at home because I got them trade as demo devices. If your neighbours have laser detectors set up then you must live in a REALLY nice neighbourhood. Like Belgravia. Even as demo product I paid several thousand pounds for the pair. Are you talking about invisible photosensor tripwires? Laser scanners generate a 3D image of the intruder and are secure area/prison/military type devices. They can't be fooled by thermal blankets or disruptive patterned clothing. The lightbeams are invidible to the naked eye but you can see them with the right kind of night vision equipment and then you just step over/under/through them.

Soldato
Camera lens size - what should I choose?

Planning on fitting one on the soffit to cover the drive way, and another by the porch around 6' or 7' high.

It’s not really possible to advise based on the information provided. Which camera manufacturer, what field of view is required, what you’re looking to see (faces, car number plates etc.) all factor into the decision.

Soldato
It’s not really possible to advise based on the information provided. Which camera manufacturer, what field of view is required, what you’re looking to see (faces, car number plates etc.) all factor into the decision.

Poor pic of house; Want to cover the two cars on the driveway so like one with a bit of height. Buying this camera kit is instead of replacing an aging Ring doorbell, so having one fitted low would be nice to see faces of people walking up the drive.
zpPWGzs.png

Camera: https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvisio...mera-30m-white-light-range/?variation_id=6567

Soldato
To be frank, it probably won't make a huge amount of difference. Certainly, make the one by the front door a 4.0mm but if you mount a 2.8mm up high you'll just get a massive view of everything but not actually be able to see anything useful. I would be tempted to go with a 4.0mm up high as well, and mount it centrally then rotate it through 90 degrees so you get a deep but narrow view covering just the bit in front of your house, which is all you're really allowed anyway. You will have a huge blind-spot where the canted roof is over the front door but you can't have everything and that will be covered by the low-down camera anyway. Just check the cameras you are buying can rotate the image as I suggested. I've yet to see one that can't, but I'd hate for you to get something only to have to send it back.

Soldato
I think the best thing to do is look at the angles in the specifications and decide how much you want to see. The longer focal length lens (4.0mm) will give a bigger image of less of the front of your house, so it will be easier to see faces and read number plates. The 2.8mm will give you a much wider view but everything in it will be smaller.

Without meaning to be offensive, your house is sufficiently narrow that either would do really. You'll have a slightly top-down view from the soffit mounted camera and then the one by the door should give you the detail on the faces etc.

If you can, try and turn the white light off on the one by the door. The top-down white light and the street light should give you enough illumination that you won't need it. And that will give much better night images of faces and number plates that otherwise might be over-illuminated and just white blobs.

Soldato
Yes, I have 2 laser detectors at home because I got them trade as demo devices. If your neighbours have laser detectors set up then you must live in a REALLY nice neighbourhood. Like Belgravia. Even as demo product I paid several thousand pounds for the pair. Are you talking about invisible photosensor tripwires? Laser scanners generate a 3D image of the intruder and are secure area/prison/military type devices. They can't be fooled by thermal blankets or disruptive patterned clothing. The lightbeams are invidible to the naked eye but you can see them with the right kind of night vision equipment and then you just step over/under/through them.

Ha! Not quite Belgravia, but there are some very high end places nearby mixed in with lots of 'normal' houses and even a load of high rise flats. It's quite the cross section.

I just spoke with the installer and he said the lasers setup he uses are about £1200 a pop. He did an install recently for someone that had 15 lasers and cost about £20k :eek:

I think we'll pass. Will likely just invest in a decent CCTV system. I've started running the cable, just need to decide what cameras to get!

Soldato
Ha! Not quite Belgravia, but there are some very high end places nearby mixed in with lots of 'normal' houses and even a load of high rise flats. It's quite the cross section.

I just spoke with the installer and he said the lasers setup he uses are about £1200 a pop. He did an install recently for someone that had 15 lasers and cost about £20k :eek:

I think we'll pass. Will likely just invest in a decent CCTV system. I've started running the cable, just need to decide what cameras to get!

I was driving through some of the swisher parts of Edinburgh New Town recently and laser detectors were surprisingly common on a lot of the buildings (Embassies etc.) and once you've seen the detection rates you can see why. They're very hard to bypass. We also did a VERY high-end home install recently with LiDAR scanners, Laser scanners, Thermal Imaging Cameras. There was a lot going on there and the person in question really didn't want unannounced visitors.

Soldato
That sounds incredible, I'd love to read a blog post or watch a youtube vid about installs like that. Problem is I'm sure those types of clients don't really want their new system being publicised!

Soldato
That sounds incredible, I'd love to read a blog post or watch a youtube vid about installs like that. Problem is I'm sure those types of clients don't really want their new system being publicised!

We've only ever done that one with the radar and we had to get licences to operate in various areas and we brought in the senior tech support from the manufacturers to ensure we had it calibrated correctly. We were even asked to quote for drone counter-measures but we just didn't feel comfortable and that work went elsewhere.

The challenge for A-list celebrities is that paparazzi will don ghillie suits and stake out homes for days to get images or fly drones over exposed areas like swimming pools to take photographs of people in swimsuits. It's a constant escalation with security contractors specifying stuff they have worked with in the military and we're trying to keep up as best we can. Very often we're asked to run cable for stuff that we never get to see. And at the other end of the scale I did a 10-camera HDCVI install at a cafe in rural Norfolk over the weekend. And even he wanted his POS data recorded with the top-down camera over the till. So I had to get the CAT5e out :)

Back
Top Bottom