• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why even bother with 4000 series cards in the current gpu climate?

Soldato
Can't see it happening. Too many people are invested in this GPU craze for it to flop like that. They'll just start mining and hyping up a new tulip.

Yep. Once eth can't be lined with gpu anymore miners will just switch to a different coin

Soldato
Because they have to keep the Gaming comminuty interested in their products and keep games moving on.

The last thing they want is for everything to stagnate.

I think they did stretch out the 10 series and milked it though, that was a long 28 months and if i remember the cards never really dropped in price.
I skipped that generation and almost quit gaming

Associate
Except that didnt happen with the last changes , those cards are still mining now

The last change (I assume you mean EIP 1559) didn't change ETH from proof of work to proof of stake, it just reduced the mining rewards somewhat. Proof of stake means there will not be any mining at all. But to be fair I expect them to push the date for it back again before it finally happens.

Man of Honour
They also need to get ramped up on 4000 series production to cater for a future scenario where there is more competition. I mean lets say they stuck with 3000 series, AMD releases new tech, chip shortage diminishes. They are now left in a situation where the lead time to get switched over to 4000 series production is too long, and they get left behind.

If you look historically, sometimes a generation or won or lost as much by ability to supply as anything when price/performance is fairly close. AMD had some paper launches in the past (pre-Covid) that kind of shot themselves in the foot even if the product might have been decent because people could buy Nvidia but not AMD for that generation.

Man of Honour
Because they have to keep the Gaming comminuty interested in their products and keep games moving on.

The last thing they want is for everything to stagnate.

I think they did stretch out the 10 series and milked it though, that was a long 28 months and if i remember the cards never really dropped in price.
I skipped that generation and almost quit gaming
Not only did the cards maintain their price but even when the new generation turned up, they just put the 2000 series prices higher, so there wasn't even really a EOL firesale on 1000 series like you sometimes see. I ended up buying a second hand 1070ti that was more expensive than any card I'd ever bought brand new prior to that!

Associate
I’m sure Overclockers will be glad for the 4000 series after the amount they must have made on the 3000 series. I think they sold 10,000 on the first day.

Caporegime
Just seen the press about RTX 4000 series cards. From a pure financial greed perspective - why would nVidia even bother releasing them any time soon when they could just as easily manufacture a new batch of 3000 series cards and they'll still sell at 200% MSRP.

3070ti Super 16GB
3080 Super 20GB
3080ti Super 24GB

+30% MSRP.

Because we at Nvidia listen to you and have given you enough VRam now, no no... nothing at all contrived, you didn't need that VRam before, but we are going to contradict ourselves now and say that you do because its a cheap and cynical way of fleecing you for more, your friendly oven-ready vendor respects you, we don't think you people are chumps, we always listen.

Associate
50% (maybe more) of people who have 3000 series card will upgrade to 4000 series, especially if the new cards are a generational leap in performance as they suggest. Nvidia exist to make money so of course they won't delay the new releases. Also they have AMD and now intel snapping at their heels

Soldato
There are already ASICs for ETH and have been for a while now. But the ETH GPU mining craze will be dead by this time next year if it (finally) goes proof of stake. Hang on until then and you'll see a wave of 3000 series cards going for peanuts second hand.
Yeah and this is why Nvidia needs to get 4000 series cards out the door and make sure they have good performance as no one will want to pay the inflated above MSRP for 3000 series come next summer when there is an abundance of cheap ex mining cards hitting the used market.

Soldato
No, there wont be lol
Depends if miners are happy to settle for 40p a day on other algorithms and the money they then make in a year will probably be a lot less than the value drop from their Gpus over the same time period especially with RTX 4000/RDNA 3 on the way.

Associate
People have been saying for ages that this would happen, yet it still hasn't.
This is very true! Prices of crypto are still rising, however next year eth is supposed to go proof of stake which should help decrease mining demand. I know there are other coins to mine but I believe eth to be the most popular right now

Associate
One thing you can be absolutely sure of, is that at some point crypto will crash hard. Of course it will then recover, but it will not rise inexorably for ever. Much like the stock market of any currency. When it does, you either sit tight or get out. Those who choose the latter will dump their cards for as much as possible. GPU prices will tank as a result. Its just when.

Soldato
It won't just be miners selling off next summer either as there will also be a lot of gamers who will look to offload their cards before the next gen arrives to minimise their upgrade costs and losses especially ones that overpaid as once next gen cards performance figures are out the prices of the old cards tank, remember those RTX2080ti's going for £350-400 just after the Nvidia ampere reveal.

Back
Top Bottom