Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Guess this is similar Ted talk on 80/20 training discussed earlier and Zone 2 training that's also popular to build up endurance.

I know I've said it many times before, but I really have to start doing something a little more exciting with this running as I've basically had little to no progress since hitting first 5k in April 2020 and 10k the following month.

Need to overcome ankle injury first of course :D

Soldato
Is that not the same video I posted? If it’s not it’s certainly the one I intended to post :p

If I was you I’d be tempted by the Ben Parkes training plans. At £6 each it’s cheap to take a punt on and I’ve really enjoyed following a plan the last few weeks. I’d always thought I’d hate the rigidity of do X on Y day, but I’ve really looked forward to the different sessions.

I think the only thing I’d have done different is increase duration a little quicker, but I think the guy just wants to see how my ankle fares before doing that.

Soldato
I guess that's not too bad then, that number of charges is probably fairly expectant. It's why devices like this are annoying without a replaceable battery given the device itself would still be fine. I wonder if an email to them seeing if a replacement would be enough to get a warranty return since they have a 2yr warranty and you'd only be a little out of that.

Some companies can be pretty good with stuff like that.

Soldato
I've gone full clumsy mode, banged my knee on a sharp table edge REAL good and have a lot of swelling under the knee cap and very colourful bruise to boot.

Slight limp and just feels like I need to "pop" it, I'm sure it will pass in a few days but I'm clearly not built for running last 2 weeks :D

Soldato
Tried a morning run, straight out of bed....that was a mistake....felt like running in lead boots. Didn't help I tried a different route that was quite hilly, managed 3k. No niggles though, just no energy.

Soldato
Tried a morning run, straight out of bed....that was a mistake....felt like running in lead boots. Didn't help I tried a different route that was quite hilly, managed 3k. No niggles though, just no energy.

You do get used to it to be fair, i used to always do that first thing in the morning, just wake up, dressed and out and was absolutely fine. However i did it for the first time last week and like you felt like no energy. It's just something you need to train your body into doing.

I'm really feeling the impact of over-doing it last weekend. My legs still feel achey and even sore to the touch in places today despite regular foam roller and massage gun usage and a sports massage on Monday i'd had booked in anyway. I guess a 32mile hilly bike ride (10 miles longer than anything i've done before), followed up with a 10 mile walk/run with lots of hills isn't a good thing to just throw at your legs when you've not done anything like it in ages!

Meant to be on hill reps today. That's going to be fun!

Associate
Longest run to date at 4.2 miles in 40 mins, weather was terrible but I'm glad I went. Now I've finished c25k I'm on the 10k training app so I'm looking forward to the next progression.

On a random note why is it I really enjoy the run when I'm on it but beforehand I'm thinking of excuses not to go, does anyone have this as I don't really understand it?

Soldato
I've got myself part way back to where I used to be. My pace is still off and I expect that will take another 12 months but I'm running five times a week now doing 7km, 7km, 6km, 6km then a 6km interval hiit hybrid jobby I've out together for a Friday. Weight has plummeted but again that's still got some way to go but outputting 32km a week is really helping.
I'm sleeping better, working better, all my aches and pains and bad back and frozen shoulder have vanished and I generally feel sooooo much better. My Garmin Vo2 max reading has moved into the green/good bracket and it's telling me my fitness age is 34 (I'm 48).

I love running.

Soldato
Longest run to date at 4.2 miles in 40 mins, weather was terrible but I'm glad I went. Now I've finished c25k I'm on the 10k training app so I'm looking forward to the next progression.

On a random note why is it I really enjoy the run when I'm on it but beforehand I'm thinking of excuses not to go, does anyone have this as I don't really understand it?

Well you don't have a clear goal and running especially when starting off can be painful so the bodies natural reaction is defensive and to avoid pain and suffering.

So the odds are stacked against you, your mind and body don't really want to be there, this results in constructions in the body making it harder to run.

Running really tests the state of your being, I go through a lot of negativity when I run for example thinking of things that happened decades ago for example, purging your system of all the failures. It really depends on purpose and your overall well being.

Associate
Well you don't have a clear goal and running especially when starting off can be painful so the bodies natural reaction is defensive and to avoid pain and suffering.

So the odds are stacked against you, your mind and body don't really want to be there, this results in constructions in the body making it harder to run.

Running really tests the state of your being, I go through a lot of negativity when I run for example thinking of things that happened decades ago for example, purging your system of all the failures. It really depends on purpose and your overall well being.

Yeah all good points, it's just strange how something so good for you can have your body & mind fighting against it. I have noticed when I didn't run for 10 or so days my mood started to decline, whether that's because I know I'm not achieving my goals or due to running itself I'm not sure.

I've got myself part way back to where I used to be. My pace is still off and I expect that will take another 12 months but I'm running five times a week now doing 7km, 7km, 6km, 6km then a 6km interval hiit hybrid jobby I've out together for a Friday. Weight has plummeted but again that's still got some way to go but outputting 32km a week is really helping.
I'm sleeping better, working better, all my aches and pains and bad back and frozen shoulder have vanished and I generally feel sooooo much better. My Garmin Vo2 max reading has moved into the green/good bracket and it's telling me my fitness age is 34 (I'm 48).

I love running.

I have to say since running my back has eased up so much (touch wood), I'd previously get a lot of random twinges which resulted in pain and soreness for a few weeks. I did wonder if running has played a part in it by helping my posture somewhat.

Speaking of Garmin I just picked up a Garmin 45 as it's price has dropped to £99 so thought why not, seems to be just what I'm after. I'll probably still take my phone with me in case of emergency but it'll be nice to know a few stats during the run.

Soldato
I think it’s just a normal thing. There’s a good YouTube video I watched that said that if you ever don’t want to go for a run. Just get changed and put your trainers on.

Step out the door and if you still don’t feel like it then don’t go, but mentally once you’re past that point you’re pretty likely to go out.

I really wasn’t feeling it yesterday but once out the door I felt great in the cold air and had a great run. It’s just a normal thing whether you have goals or not. The important thing is just to push through that feeling and get out anyway and I’m sure most people in here will say it’s runs where you di that where you get home, look at your watch and realised you’ve just got a PB without even thinking about it.

It’s a fair point though about going days without running, but that’s just a case of breaking the habit/routine and you then have to get back into it. I’ll go through periods where if I have 2 days off it feels like ages since I’ve ran and really miss it and be desperate to get out, but you go past that point and it’s crazy how easily 3 days turn into 4 into 5.

I had an awful run today. Wanted 8 miles up in the hills, had planned out a different route to normal around Pendle Hill which ended up with me wading through knee deep snow in sections up a 20% incline. In the end I turned around and looked for another route and finished just over 5. Just put me in an awful mood! Plus I went over on my ankle about 5m from the car! Luckily it seems ok now.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 minute rule or something it was called to get you going?

I will third that I'm still to ever enjoy a run and get this sense of apprehension before each one, almost like I still don't think I can do it.

Might even attempt a gentle flat 5k this weekend coming, depending how we'll the ankle will continue to heal. Have some lovely Brooks to christen with me retiring the Mizunos too.

Soldato
Yeah something like that. It's the same for a lot of things really. I'm sure people who love the gym are the same at times, it's pretty natural.

@neoboy i guess i have to ask then, if you've never enjoyed a run, why do you persist? Is it not worth finding another activity which engages you more? Given you love hiking then maybe it's worth trying more trail based runs to see if that increases enjoyment for you?

Annoyingly Hoka look to be retiring the Speedgoat 4 for the Speedgoat 5. My usual place no longer stocks the wide version and i can't decide whether to hold out for the new Wide version to land, or look for something else. By all accounts they'll be perfect for me and i love my Hoka road shoes.

I've also decided i'd like a pair of less cushioned trainers. Not for regular use, but maybe once a week for a short run, just to work my feet a little bit more rather than wrapping them up in pillows like i usually do! Was looking at some Altras but then saw these for £25, on BF. Ok so they still look pretty cushioned, but not as much as my current Hokas so will work for now. Worst case they'll be handy for the gym!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B095KSCQMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caporegime
when it is cold, dark and raining it can be very hard to hwad out the door, but usually feels good after a mile. Just got to get out the door!
I have almost never regretted doing a run, there is always some satisfaction flr getting in the exercise..But every time i skip a run due to weather or laziness i hate myself and feel terrible. I can only justify the laziness if i can objectively say i need extra recovery.

Soldato
when it is cold, dark and raining it can be very hard to hwad out the door, but usually feels good after a mile. Just got to get out the door!
I have almost never regretted doing a run, there is always some satisfaction flr getting in the exercise..But every time i skip a run due to weather or laziness i hate myself and feel terrible. I can only justify the laziness if i can objectively say i need extra recovery.

This is the exact same for me. I loved running in the freezing cold snow the other day. Shorts and tee on. I stuck gloves on though because my hands where cold the previous day.

It’s great. You don’t feel cold at all, I don’t get how people can wear those jackets.

Back
Top Bottom