Fit, Kink, Sunday, United, Wethepeople
Tall Order are a good budget option as well
Cult are the brand kids go nuts for but meh

good things too look out for that you want:
4130 tubes (frame forks bars)
cassette hub on the back
3 piece cranks
20" wheel (its the standard size)
nothing too long unless he is tall (20" top tube is short, 21 or more is for taller)

Sunday are good because they come with odyssey parts
https://www.customriders.com/bikes/...-complete-bike-gloss-black-205tt__19557#miv-2

Source or Custom Riders are the better shops

wiggle have some bargains too at the moment if you could stretch
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fit-series-one-bmx-bike-2021
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/united-recruit-2025-bmx-bike-2021

Winstanley's don't have best reputation but sometimes got reduced stuff
https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/bmx-bikes/united-recruit-jr-2018-bmx-bike
https://winstanleysbmx.com/bmx-bike...r&wheel_size=20-inch&product_list_order=price

if it was me I would get the Fit or the Sunday

Soldato
Kids these days have gone soft, back in my day kids would have the Spec and model all worked out with a list of exactly what they wanted down to the last bolt

Soldato
Kids these days have gone soft, back in my day kids would have the Spec and model all worked out with a list of exactly what they wanted down to the last bolt

hahaha absolutely, every year i'd be down the local bike shops getting the latest Raleigh, Scott etc brochures with that years models and fawning over the Ti MTBs.

Associate
I could help find something suitable, but have some questions.
What's the boy's height? Is he actually going to use the thing or get bored of trying and let it rot in the garden? (his friends got bikes bmxs already and they have somewhere to ride them). Often kids just give up quick and end up hanging around on scooters instead. Is second hand out of the equation as it's a present?

Bmx completes and parts have doubled in cost in the past decade, the bikes are easier to learn on but some parts haven't changed for the better. £300 will not get anything good or will last without maintenance if he uses it and/or doesn't look after it. All the sub £500 completes are the same, bar a few exceptions. You'll be lucky to get any money back if he decides he doesn't like it, unless locally there's someone on FB marketplace that takes an eye to it, the market is very dry at the moment.

I've had a fair browse and found this, few colours to choose from and 20.5" being the ideal size unless he's super small. Even if he's 6' tall 20.5" is fine, it's got a medium rear end and low bb.
https://www.skatepro.uk/56-42706.htm

It follows the same trend as all the other sub £500 bikes. It does sacrifice a cartridge bearing headset which isn't an issue (if in the case kid chooses to upgrade bike over time he would be limited to non integrated-race forks, which is easily overcome by buying some second hand from a previous gen, which are stronger anyway), and fully sealed rear hub, but does offer sealed driver bearings so maintenance won't be overly annoying. Unsealed bearings are better than cartridge if the cartridge ones are cheap. The steerer tube diameter does look narrow on the pictures, however all the hi-tensile forks will bend with ease anyway, we always rode bent forks when we were younger. Key selling point being, bike will suffice until he reaches a point where he's ready for something better and it hits under budget from a reliable store. It's just if he likes the look of it too.

The Sunday Blueprint bike in the earlier post looks very nice, but it falls into the sub £500 'same as other bikes' category when you break it down. Many of the brands are good at making their complete bikes line nice looking, but they don't deliver. Head to head with the Haro there's nothing really in it.

Soldato
OP
@The_Arbiter thanks.

It's a tricky one, I think it's a bit of a novelty for him. He's 12 and is around 5'2"

It won't be abused and will be stored in a heated garage. Maintenance other than advanced stuff will be done by me along with my 4 bikes.

Given the novelty factor of this purchase (I think he should get MTB) I'm leaning towards just buying a Voodoo from Halfords. At least they have front brakes which I'm insisting on to make it legal.

Associate
@The_Arbiter thanks.

It's a tricky one, I think it's a bit of a novelty for him. He's 12 and is around 5'2"

It won't be abused and will be stored in a heated garage. Maintenance other than advanced stuff will be done by me along with my 4 bikes.

Given the novelty factor of this purchase (I think he should get MTB) I'm leaning towards just buying a Voodoo from Halfords. At least they have front brakes which I'm insisting on to make it legal.

All the bikes sold in UK will be supplied with a front brake as like you say it's the law. They're not very good mind :p

I'd highly recommend you do not buy one of those Voodoo bmxs. If they were £100, sure it would be fine until it caused problems, the quality just isn't there and the markups must be huge on those. I just think it's literally throwing away money as will cause no end of problems for you.

A 2nd hand kids MTB might be a better bet if that's what you think might be better. No point shelling out £300 and have to faf about flogging it for a mere £100.

Soldato
Noted, thanks. Got a bit concerned when every photo of every half decent bike doesn't have a front brake on it.

most trendy kid bmxers run no brakes at all!

I only (and lots) only run a rear brake as that's all you need, its a bmx - it doesn't go that fast and its not like an mtb which needs the two wheel braking for traction on loose ground etc
completes come with a rubbish throw away front caliper brake because UK law says you have to sell it with one, no one fits them and they get binned

I weigh 95kg and a well set up rear brake only can stop me perfectly well
granted im not cutting around town on it these days so I guess traffic etc might be a concern

Associate
@Ben Cole
Good Brands for Complete bikes:
Fit, Kink, Sunday, United, Wethepeople
Tall Order are a good budget option as well
Cult are the brand kids go nuts for but meh

good things too look out for that you want:
4130 tubes (frame forks bars)
cassette hub on the back
3 piece cranks
20" wheel (its the standard size)
nothing too long unless he is tall (20" top tube is short, 21 or more is for taller)

I think you'll be hard pushed to get a full 4130 frame at that price (most are top+downtube only), let alone forks and bars as well, but keep those in mind for future upgrades!

Regarding top tube length, I'd say at 5'2", 20.25 would be ideal, however I assume he is still growing so would agree 20.5 seems best if you want it to last him a couple of years.
I'm 6'0" and preferred 20.6-20.75" for most things when I was younger (still got my 2001 McNeil Miron in the garage :D ), although it appears bars are now generally 1.5-2" taller than they used to be, which also plays in to the geometry.

Sunday are good because they come with odyssey parts
https://www.customriders.com/bikes/...-complete-bike-gloss-black-205tt__19557#miv-2

Source or Custom Riders are the better shops

wiggle have some bargains too at the moment if you could stretch
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fit-series-one-bmx-bike-2021

[snip]

if it was me I would get the Fit or the Sunday

Completely agree, I especially like the Fit!

If you need to stay strictly within budget the Haro that @The_Arbiter linked also looks fine.
If he gets in to it more seriously then you'll likely end up replacing parts as he goes for a few years, regardless of how much you spend now!

edit: also brakes are for wimps, just stick your foot between the wheel and seatstays :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks again.

He already has a mountain bike, plus I have two that pretty soon he'll be big enough for.

Who knows how long he'll be into this.

Regarding the front brake, don't kids do "endos" or front wheel bunny hops anymore ?

Associate
Short answer, you stick foot in wheel to lock the wheel. Even this has started to diminish now as times change, street riders just do other tricks.

Bikes, but bmx moreso change trends every few years. Whilst a bmx equipped with all brakes and all pegs offers the most variety in tricks, no riders ever achieve the ability to make use of it all, and the current trend doesn't include front brakes. As bmx has divided itself, park and street bikes are completely different now, park bikes all have rear brakes as mentioned further up.

Even trials and mtb street has changed completely from what you remember.

Soldato
some dudes love a proper front brake

most don't - I shove me big foot in there and it makes me do an endo "footjam"

lots of very good kids / pros ride no brakes at all and do fine without them

I like trails though so need a back brake for the OMG moments (which is often)

trojan that fit s1 has cromo top+downtube+steerer so not bad I guess

Associate
No problem. Funnily enough some brands including Haro (iirc) have done rereleases of oldschool bikes. Also look at bmx-museum forums if you want a nostalgia kick.

Soldato
@The_Arbiter @gettothechopper

Appreciate the advice you've given along with the others.

We've ordered the Haro. 20.5" in grey from Skatepro.

It looks great and has the bonus of being from a brand I've heard of. Lusted after the Haro freestyler myself as a kid, the one with twin top tubes.

Cheers again.
no worries boss - glad you found something

Back
Top Bottom