Heat loss advice

Soldato
OP
Where are you based (Roughly) , I have a thermal camera if it helps...
south east greater london….
Where are u based?
i reckon that thermal cam will help for sure to help where the heat is escaping

there are good suggestions here guys thanks

i suspect a window in the landing is a problem as it doesnt 100%close tight and…. Also got me thinking about the air vents on each window
I think nearly everyone is open wth lol silly me

Soldato
OP
On another note… what is the purpose of air vents on the windows i mean i always had them open
Do u all close em over winter?

cant be good for damp/ventilation tho

Soldato
OP
Ok so closed i counted 9/10 air vents on windows across the home

I think the weather is due to get warmer tomorrow here and then drop back down
So we’ll see how i get on when it gets cold again.

Soldato
Maybe if it's an old front door the threshold seal on the bottom might need replacing. On a windy day run your hand around the door to see if there's a draft. Same with letter box.

Check whether the loft insulation is up to scratch.

Get some thick curtains, glass is a big loss of heat.

You can also get brush guards to go along the bottom of internal doors, like:

STORMGUARD, White 02SR0200838W Bottom of The Door Brush Seal Draught Excluder, 838mm https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071...abc_6PAD9B25RBF9M5SP0CB1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You could also play with the rad thermostats to balance the system better:

- turn the bedroom ones a little lower
- turn the downstairs hall one a little lower
- increase the ones in the lounge or where you spend most time

Soldato
On another note… what is the purpose of air vents on the windows i mean i always had them open

Someone here opens them and I seem to be the one to close them. It's ridiculous having them open at this time of year. We have an extractor fan hood over the hob and extractor fans in the WC, bathroom and ensuite, so plenty of air gets expelled without trickle vents in windows.

Soldato

I think thats mainly airbricks? There needs to be some air circulation or damp and mould could become a problem. The issue is where do you draw the line? Extractors/hoods over cookers is clearly more efficient than vents on windows kitchens steam up really fast without a decent extractor

Soldato
How well balanced are you radiators?

Check that your double glazing windows aren't set to summer mode, if the seals aren't tight you'll get a loss there too. Are the air vents shut?

Summer mode? If you're referring to the trickle vents, they're far more important in the winter than in the summer as they ventilate your house. Don't shut them!

Balancing the rads is essential. Pain in the arse though.

I thought this was a really good video. This guy knows his stuff, unlike most plumbers:

Soldato
OP
Yea trickle vents that is them.
Always kept them open to be honest
First time i shut em yesterday
Just trying out for now

Associate
If your window doesnt close 100% tight replace the hinges. You can usually measure them up and buy them in screwfix.
Lots of videos on youtube explain it. Pretty straight forward, or look locally for someone who will do it.

Soldato
OP
Yes regarding the window
I had a look at the hinges
Havent got round to taking the cordless to that yet but i def hear and feel the window is not right up against the frame

Associate
To find draughts, light a candle or incense stick, go around the edge of floors, windows and doors to when the flame or incense flicker, should give you an indicaionr of the area, this worked for me. I live in a 1970's house, the drafts I have found using this method plus hunting them down:

• Suspended flooring no insultion and no carpets down at the minute so we get a through draught. Can't and don't want to block the airbricks up but will insulate and overboard the flooring.
  • Internal garage with rooms above it? Depending on how much £££ or time you want to spend, I have no insultion in the floor so need to do that.
  • Doors, cheap fix with some draft rubber around the door frame.
  • Windows are not on vent and you have good seals?
  • Tiles in the hall? Maybe buy a rug? Might make it feel less cold?
  • Chimney with open fire or log burner? If open fire then it is obvious, if a log burner make sure the plate is sealed.
  • Extractor fan in the bathrooms? Make sure there is a one way air flow valve so you don't get air blowing back in when not being used.
  • Loft hatch, stick some insulation to it with double sided tape.
  • Loft fully insulated, if you are handy with DIY not a big job.
  • Telecom cables coming through the wall with no seal around them?

I know this method won't tell you where the heat is going, however it might help track down some of the draughts that make it feel cold.

Last edited:
Soldato
Summer mode? If you're referring to the trickle vents, they're far more important in the winter than in the summer as they ventilate your house. Don't shut them!

No, I don't mean trickle vents (but I did mention them in my post). I mean the hex adjusters explained pretty well in this video:

If your windows were installed in the summer the odds are that they are in 'summer mode' and not that tight.

Associate
Not wanting to highjack this thread but you can register on .gov website if you work from home and get a tax allowance for working from home its not a massive amount of money but you can back date it if you have been working from home since the start of the pandemic for example.

Soldato
OP
About 15 minutes north of Watford.

Made any progress yet?

nice you aren't too far from here then.... might message u if required

nice not quite yet properly solved... but there are some great suggestions on here and im just waiitng for the weather to get really cold
I liked the candle suggestion thanks.

Associate
If you can hire or borrow a thermal camera they can reveal more than more than other methods. I bought a cheap one (well for thermal cameras!) and used it to trace pipes and show poor insulation.

It's proved invaluable for both purposes and revealed many interesting things such as poor new uPVC window/door frame sealing also and that our downstairs toilet (part under a porch) and garage that is under bedrooms had no insulation above.

Fixing the windows/doors with high density flexible expanding foam (after hacking off some plaster) and insulating over the garage made a massive difference to temps and noise. I've recently fixed the last issue with the toilet by removing porch soffit boards and adding insulation above and it made a staggering difference to such a small room and also the room above it where it was letting cold air floor under the floor.

Associate
Sorry should have added that to my post. I bought a Flir One Pro which was about £350 when I bought it about 4 years ago despite using a smart phone for the display and videos/pictures.

Other than a poor battery life (it doesn't take power from the phone) its been excellent and enabled me to also find CH/HW pipes under 150mm of screed/concrete and trace the few plastic CH pipes in my house that are far from straight pipe runs so good to have exact position before cutting floors etc.

Back
Top Bottom