Anyone into Gundam (or Gunpla)

Caporegime
OP
I started Sazabi. Got to the eye ball piece which is a tiny piece of clear plastic with a decal. I was holding it with tweezers when it just flew off, almost lost both the piece and the decal.

4XwbdKu.png

The L3 piece

IEWKplj.png

This has taken me about 5 hours lol, I am really taking my time.

RyaJHLM.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I started Sazabi. Got to the eye ball piece which is a tiny piece of clear plastic with a decal. I was holding it with tweezers when it just flew off, almost lost both the piece and the decal.

I had quite a bit of fun last week when I dropped a tiny hook of my sherman tank.
I spent a good 10 minutes crawling around on my carpet with the light on my phone before I found it.

Commissario
I had quite a bit of fun last week when I dropped a tiny hook of my sherman tank.
I spent a good 10 minutes crawling around on my carpet with the light on my phone before I found it.
One of the reasons I have a couple of very bright torches (with white and red light) near my hobby area ;)

The number of times I've dropped something and spent 15+ minutes looking for it only to shine the torch at a different angle and have it show up in an area i've already looked at multiple times.
Ideally you want a flat bright colour "workshop foam" floor under and around your model area as it makes anything dropped visible and doesn't have the same "bounce" factor (as it tends to absorb impact a bit), but that doesn't play well with chairs.
Failing that hardwood floor, but that can be hard (no pun intended) on some model parts.
I've got the foam for the garage but haven't got it down, partly because I stopped working on metal models which are far more likely to simply fall apart if knocked over.

Last edited:
Soldato
Taken a amazing amount of time and a few broken bits, but 1/2 way there.

l6YZ6xp.jpg

Doing origami with thin metal sheets is rewarding and damn infuriating.

Associate
Before reading this topic I didn't know that these weren't mostly just pre-made statues or that they didn't need glue.

Turns out these are great for a hobby for me working from home in an office that I can't have paint or glue around or anything messy, it seems you can even get good results without painting at all on some of them. Picked up a few random ones from Japan Craft as my nearest stockist that mailed really quickly, though they are slightly pricey, still good value compared to Lego for the detail they offer. I have no idea about the Gundam anime or manga so I just picked up a few that I thought looked cool to save my other half having to pick something out, so most are for Xmas presents but I did build one of the SD ones which I really like for their small size at 10cm or so. One not even a Gundam but I didn't know that at the time.

Stickers are tricky but look OK and so much cleaner to apply than paint which I can't use in this environment, maybe could get some touch up pens. Even with some slightly messed up stickers like I did on visor still looks OK, the box shots are painted and I think the stickers still look reasonably close enough. The minis at under £10 at Gundam Mad most are good value for how long they take, some of them look even more detailed than some of the big ones due to how compact and compressed they are. Definitely picking up some more minis from Gundam Mad as they have a good selection.

I really like that Soundwave Transformer as well, the metal sheet style looks would be fun to build.

DSqvUxY0VIB36AzvA1XIVqpTT6CIawncB1dzIukd4nFACMFeDlww9H-42kJrIW_IPT6EkIAmyIUS9q-Et1OwBB85QB6gVKwPQhVMdN7tOfen22iojzHnQlc5_alvNaYOBj32WdTm_A=w2400

UePZQe7NnIrMEwjL9Uve8Md0yVqRd__uriUbzASzmglUEF4gtVqILpFtoM5G_aFC8vWK-gttMq0hgWGUQSR5WmWjw1vIls1X3L4sGZaWC_0ZfGrnbcLIjCHKRoWx3PGC6U82k0AHkw=w2400

FtHy95IPeY6EqEGslw8CokabTNv9WZg5EnoQD9nEEc_rZyWFr9Mv-JZzKxLowDbPzeZ7fz_tjJg93FHp5O0njv_teLRT1bGLVYaUYZe9Mngek6xp9jOl-TgCyj8itiQ1hxW3NxuN3A=w2400

Associate
I actually thought Mazinkaiser was a Gundam at first but seems it's a spinoff of that 70's or 80's Mazinger Z cartoon you linked that came out in 2002 or so, so it's also kind of retro. I think it's like a super powered up version, I might have to check it out.

Can't open it till Xmas but it comes with a customisable body for two different body types for SD or slightly bigger style. Got a "few" more minis coming from Gundam Mad tomorrow to keep me occupied over Xmas, once done with those probably will get one of those clear display cubes for them and backlight it, I think I'll later try a metal type figure like that Soundwave as well.

Be good to see any more build or build in progress images if any have them to share.

Soldato
Finally done!

a0S1Am0.jpg

wS5mZKS.jpg

This took an insane amount of time, so value for money I suppose.
Definately not for kids, some of the pieces were very brittle, even though you had to bend them into shape, too much movement and they'd snap!
I also learned it doesn't like super glue, ate the damn paint.

I love it to bits though and want more. :p

Gonna take a break from this metal origami, still got a Sherman tank and 2 Blood Angels that need painting.

All this talk about anime robots reminded me of the fighter jet/robot from the Robotech/Macross series.
Now that's a model I would love to build.

Caporegime
OP
Finally done!

a0S1Am0.jpg

wS5mZKS.jpg

This took an insane amount of time, so value for money I suppose.
Definately not for kids, some of the pieces were very brittle, even though you had to bend them into shape, too much movement and they'd snap!
I also learned it doesn't like super glue, ate the damn paint.

I love it to bits though and want more. :p

Gonna take a break from this metal origami, still got a Sherman tank and 2 Blood Angels that need painting.

All this talk about anime robots reminded me of the fighter jet/robot from the Robotech/Macross series.
Now that's a model I would love to build.

i remember getting a metal origami insect thing for Christmassecret Santa, it was a small one and cheap…I managed to break a piece and definitely not easy and a level above Gunpla in terms of difficulty. I can’t imagine making something that big.

I saw this in Singapore, almost bought it. A Paper car. They also did other cars too. Cost twice as much on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39375338...%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&epid=27037439028

tew1Dcs.png

Last edited:
Associate
gzrg-aIJK07gyxv6aV-SKg52n1wZW_CYW88uQaOgKHgdVQc6wP-6xfFaIJeNrkT8EZTSlMjDhNnw_nazHlpSS03O2nfqeBDNvTCOp0TOzuJN6WlxjoWpO-KeSZqBX2OhrKZ3FTBywQ=w2400

On4ZIHEoF3nk7P-gIPc2RXhhPH_7KsMzQUM1qlbYcZ6UmFpKs-CaFZvtdXQcRg97C7zXziau4VCT1iHZ3xyZQjP9liPKtlE9YMC2BV5tXGF4tEswM4RitAwt68-cF90AiMTHkvpY0w=w2400

Another SD model finished of the few I got delivered yesterday, I think this is the main hero Gundam robot, same scale as the other SD one but uses more coloured plastic and less stickers, only noticeable stickers are 2 each on the shield and gunsight, one on the belt area, all quite tricky to apply. You can add longer limbs or rotate the face to the SD eyes, I prefer the actual plastic style eyes. Gundam Mad even gave a free gift of a truly crazy SD style one I'll post at some point, they're giving out free gifts through Xmas and early January with orders.

Caporegime
OP
gzrg-aIJK07gyxv6aV-SKg52n1wZW_CYW88uQaOgKHgdVQc6wP-6xfFaIJeNrkT8EZTSlMjDhNnw_nazHlpSS03O2nfqeBDNvTCOp0TOzuJN6WlxjoWpO-KeSZqBX2OhrKZ3FTBywQ=w2400

On4ZIHEoF3nk7P-gIPc2RXhhPH_7KsMzQUM1qlbYcZ6UmFpKs-CaFZvtdXQcRg97C7zXziau4VCT1iHZ3xyZQjP9liPKtlE9YMC2BV5tXGF4tEswM4RitAwt68-cF90AiMTHkvpY0w=w2400

Another SD model finished of the few I got delivered yesterday, I think this is the main hero Gundam robot, same scale as the other SD one but uses more coloured plastic and less stickers, only noticeable stickers are 2 each on the shield and gunsight, one on the belt area, all quite tricky to apply. You can add longer limbs or rotate the face to the SD eyes, I prefer the actual plastic style eyes. Gundam Mad even gave a free gift of a truly crazy SD style one I'll post at some point, they're giving out free gifts through Xmas and early January with orders.

This is my SD, they are TINY. In comparison to the MG Sazabi i am building.

pvroRqA.jpg

Associate
Yeah the SD minis are surprisingly small and cute when built, though there are some different scales of SD as per my free gift that I got, that MG Szabi is going to be huge, there's no room in my office for more than a couple of huge ones, so I'm making a collection of mini SDs then maybe one of the 1/60 Perfect Grades. The minis fit all the Funko Pop display cases so are good for collection in a case. Also the 1/144 normal style are very small as well.

Hopefully quieter workwise for a bit so going to make another mini.

Associate
LvmBqe-z7CvaeI1zobn29XeuwVi7jUxKc99g0WnsqUn3Euxnq86-PR0sJC_gz2MehYZZZQpr7lXH--R5zix_TR5szz7EUJ6jM37C5nkg8eVruG2YMf6CthcwPk9tycnIohd-tX_j0A=w2400

BM8x7iFXpUpdFYhMVqwA0wu9-8ts5ua2lQ0ic2inCRkDerxPwN6YqqXhG_qmAzyOiLaeTDXPEcxw96VDi3U5LdNR75pf4iuGCB27LNd6wziyxYDCE5pVs24PMcUVsElB12bc_-GXpQ=w2400

Another one, the stickers were a pain and it came with the wrong orange transparent parts so I had to put the crest and side flames on with double sided tape. Lots of detail and weapons for a mini 10cm model. Not that it matters but proof I did get a mixed up set with the orange wrong pieces, you can also see from the box that does look a lot better painted than just stickers.

I have this set: https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3432/

But with this set's orange pieces: https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3431/

Still was fun to build and looks OK for having the wrong pieces. Be good to see some updates or anyone else making some as well.

Caporegime
OP
Finished building Sazabi. This was very satisfying, the legs were the best part. So much articulation from all the panels. The hand, literally with fingers and thumbs joints all injection moulded as 1 piece with ball joints all done from moulding is unbelievable.

I wish the guns to have more shades of different grey/black, or mix them up rather than one is all grey and the other is all black.

Now i want to panel line it, got to decide what colour goes where now.

72ijtNq.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
That Sazabi looks amazing, be great to see some panel lining differences as well, looks really good even as it is.

Back
Top Bottom