• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why even bother with 4000 series cards in the current gpu climate?

Soldato
Nothing will change next year. Its pure fantasy

I agree but I do think it will change eventually. Like China, the world's governments will not allow complete cessation of control over their currencies. As long as crypto is niche and not universally accepted it'll be fine. The moment it starts to challenge the dollar, the pound, the ruble, it'll be banned in those countries and the value will tank.

Soldato
Hopefully you're wrong but I wouldn't be surprised at this either.....

I agree but I do think it will change eventually. Like China, the world's governments will not allow complete cessation of control over their currencies. As long as crypto is niche and not universally accepted it'll be fine. The moment it starts to challenge the dollar, the pound, the ruble, it'll be banned in those countries and the value will tank.

Cars dont mine crypto, aircraft dont mine crypto, toasters / smart phones / watches dont mine crypto. As the world moves to electric everything, they all require computer parts in them

Man of Honour
Supplies won't be constrained once miners stop buying and start selling.

Which almost certainly won't happen. Why would it? If a specific token becomes unprofitable, make up another one. There are always new tokens being punted as currency. There will always be at least one that can become fashionable. That's inherent in an unregulated system of tokens with no inherent value and no backing from an authority with resources. The only value of any such token is how fashionable it is. Changing the fashion from slightly larger buttons on shirts to slightly smaller buttons on shirts doesn't mean that the whole idea of fashion disappears and most clothing makers will close and sell their equipment on the cheap.

Associate
I am just scared about the pricing for the 4000 series. It’s rumoured to be 2x as fast as 3000 series so I really hope the street pricing for 4090 doesn’t reach £3500 or something. Otherwise I will be compelled to sell of my 3080 Ti to get it.

Associate
Which almost certainly won't happen. Why would it? If a specific token becomes unprofitable, make up another one. There are always new tokens being punted as currency. There will always be at least one that can become fashionable. That's inherent in an unregulated system of tokens with no inherent value and no backing from an authority with resources. The only value of any such token is how fashionable it is. Changing the fashion from slightly larger buttons on shirts to slightly smaller buttons on shirts doesn't mean that the whole idea of fashion disappears and most clothing makers will close and sell their equipment on the cheap.

I'm not sure you appreciate just how much of the GPU hashing power goes towards Ethereum, and how much the prices of other coins would have to rise to maintain profitability when that hashrate moves to them. Maybe about 100x the miners are on ETH compared to the others combined (could be more - figure pulled out of arse).

Remember crypto mining blocks are on a set schedule so X amount of time will produce Y amount of coins split between all of the miners on that network. So if 100x the miners join a coin the income from that coin will drop by 100x as well. For that coin to maintain it's current profitability it would have to rise by 100x. But why would it? Unless a proof of work coin has a specific use case that sets it above Bitcoin or ETH/ADA/DOT etc then there won't be the demand to make that coin rise in price.

Once profitability gets close to the price of electricity most miners will just sell up their rigs to recoup their costs.

Soldato
I'm not sure you appreciate just how much of the GPU hashing power goes towards Ethereum, and how much the prices of other coins would have to rise to maintain profitability when that hashrate moves to them. Maybe about 100x the miners are on ETH compared to the others combined (could be more - figure pulled out of arse).

Remember crypto mining blocks are on a set schedule so X amount of time will produce Y amount of coins split between all of the miners on that network. So if 100x the miners join a coin the income from that coin will drop by 100x as well. For that coin to maintain it's current profitability it would have to rise by 100x. But why would it? Unless a proof of work coin has a specific use case that sets it above Bitcoin or ETH/ADA/DOT etc then there won't be the demand to make that coin rise in price.

Once profitability gets close to the price of electricity most miners will just sell up their rigs to recoup their costs.

Except they wont. At all.

Soldato

You're missing the point that it is all artificial to begin with, therefore the model can be repurposed endlessly, as it already has been. The only thing that kills Crypto and mining is regulation.

Associate
You're missing the point that it is all artificial to begin with, therefore the model can be repurposed endlessly, as it already has been. The only thing that kills Crypto and mining is regulation.

You're missing the point that the big money is only going into the big cryptos, and only ETH currently uses GPU mineable proof of work where all the others are using ASICS or have proof of stake. These do 99% of what anyone wants with crypto in the first place.

Unless a GPU mineable proof of work coin comes along with a unique selling point then gpu mining will be down the drain with ETH goes PoS. Know you of such a coin?

Associate
This is very true! Prices of crypto are still rising, however next year eth is supposed to go proof of stake which should help decrease mining demand. I know there are other coins to mine but I believe eth to be the most popular right now
It was supposed to be this year wasn't it?

Soldato
You're missing the point that the big money is only going into the big cryptos, and only ETH currently uses GPU mineable proof of work where all the others are using ASICS or have proof of stake. These do 99% of what anyone wants with crypto in the first place.

Unless a GPU mineable proof of work coin comes along with a unique selling point then gpu mining will be down the drain with ETH goes PoS. Know you of such a coin?

Like I said, an ETH replacement will come along, if needed, which it won't be. Come and talk to me in six months when mining has collpased, I've been hearing about the collapse of mining for years, it's a lot like GPU prices crashing, or supply improving - a bit like Waiting for Godot.

Associate
There's so much GPU cope going around these days, people trying to convicne themselves NV4000 is going to be awesome and also reasonably priced.
If Nvidia can ship a 3090 at £1400, and they produce a 4090 with 50% more grunt, they'll sell it at 50% more cost. Common sense. If not more.

Soldato
If Nvidia can ship a 3090 at £1400, and they produce a 4090 with 50% more grunt, they'll sell it at 50% more cost. Common sense. If not more.

Of course, these prices are the new normals, they're not outliers, the market has been reset, it doesn't matter why or how, people have shown they will pay and that's all that matters, NV and AMD are not leaving $$$$ on the table. It won't even need to be 50% more, not even close, because if it's just 20% they'll fly off the shelves anyway.

People believe what they want to believe, they want to beleive we're going back to GPU fantasia pre Turing - it's not happening. I can even remember arguing with a chap on here when Covid first kicked off, he reckoned it would cause GPU prices actually crash! he told me I didn't understand economics or supply and demand at all...

:D

Back
Top Bottom