• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, the flagship reinvented

Soldato
In today's market the 3090fe is pretty good value (yeah I know!) A quick look at 3080's on OCUK's shop and the average price seems to be £1.2k with the only ones in stock priced around £1.4k

Although drops seems to be getting further apart, when the 3090fe appears it stays available for hours, which is normally long enough for a purchase.

Soldato
Who was the 3090 series aimed towards? As a lot of 3D modellers, programmers and so on I've watched including some rich indie game developers don't own a 3090.
Yeah but I'm being serious. They said the 24GB was for content creators yet I see many well known people with lots of money in game development who don't own the card. I'm just curious who the target was according to NVIDIA.
I can think of 3 3D artist on youtube who own a 3090 and all three were given them by Nivdia.

I know that there were some people who were hitting the 11GB VRAM limit of the 1080ti when using substance painter with some heavy projects, so in such instances a 3090 would be useful but as someone rocking a 970 that i've pushed to the limit there are ways to manage it (tedious as it may be ways).

For rendering the 24GB is in an awkward spot imo. You will have a lot of projects that can fit comfortably in the 12gb of the 3060 but i can't help but feel that a good portion of projects that exceeds that 12gb are going to shoot past the 24GB of the 3090. Depending on a person needs they may be better of buyiung multiple 3060s, maybe throw in a 3060ti to drive the display and still have change rather than buying a 3090 (based on MSRP).

Associate
Personally I find the 3090 a perfect fit for rendering, video editing, upscaling you name it, it does it with ease.

I had a 3080 that would run out of memory with Da Vinci Resolve and basically couldn't keep up with my Threadripper machine which I use to run multiple instances of apps at a time. For me it's about that 24GB of RAM, enough for any app and with margin when things get very heavy. If you do use creative apps heavily or workstation apps and you can get it an FE or a reasonably priced AIB it is great value for money.

I did consider getting a A4000 which is a mean little 1 slot card with 16GB RAM for £1000 with processing power of about a 3060ti, but 16GB basically leaves little margin for error, glad I went with something with more RAM that you can game on as well.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Target ended up being whoever could afford one for gaming, as 3080's were so hard to get. That and people wanting an Nvidia 3080 or greater performance with more than 10GB VRAM.. Of course 24GB is overkill, though 16GB wasn't possible due to limitations in GDDR6X module density and GPU bus requirements at the time.

Who wanted to go through months of lockdowns using a crappy old GPU? Not many, hence why many opted to pay £1399 for a 3090 if they could get one.

This. I got the mugs edition too! :p

Also useful for mining, it has cost me less than a 3080FE does when comparing to people that do not mine (and own a 3080FE).

Associate
The 3090 is only selling because the 3080 is essentially vapourware and people want high end gpus at any cost at the moment.

That's true but there is a market for a card with a decent chunk of Vram outside of that case. I'd have been happy with a 16gb card at 3080 speeds with cuda / optix support but it didn't happen.

Soldato
3090 seems to vapor ware too

at my local store they've been delisting lots of models and just 2 rtx3090 models left

either supply has hit a very rough but temporary spot or Nvidia has stopped production on the 3090

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
3090 seems to vapor ware too

at my local store they've been delisting lots of models and just 2 rtx3090 models left

either supply has hit a very rough but temporary spot or Nvidia has stopped production on the 3090

stopped making non ti/supers a month ago i bet, why make stuff when you can repurpose the gpu die and sell for a premium.

V F

V F

Soldato
TDP 450W. Wonder what the temperatures will be.

"Cyberpunk for sure needs even more power than a high end clocked 3090 to max settings and keep near 60fps @ UHD, I know because I have one.
However, I'm sure I'll laugh when I see the launch price :)
"

Associate
Boom! time for ppl to upgrade their PSUs.

I wonder who with a 3090 or 3080 is considering this monster? i'm not, 24GB is just perfect for heavy workstation tasks let alone games. So imagine this card is for rinsing out frame chasers.

I wonder if it will be easier to cool with memory now only on the front side.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if it gives up to a 5% boost for a 20% to 30% premium over the 3090*

Saying that, It'll still sell out in seconds in the current market.

Can't blame nVidia for grasping this opportunity.

*All just guesses at this point.

Associate
This card is completely pointless simply because when it’s actually available we will be just 6 months away from a 4090 which which is rumoured to be 2x more performance than a 3090.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if it gives up to a 5% boost for a 20% to 30% premium over the 3090*

Saying that, It'll still sell out in seconds in the current market.

Can't blame nVidia for grasping this opportunity.

*All just guesses at this point.
It will be around 5% if you look at the scaling between 3080 Ti and 3090 which is around 2% but this is clocked higher so 5% would be accurate as Ampere overclocking results have been very dismal.

Soldato
This card is completely pointless simply because when it’s actually available we will be just 6 months away from a 4090 which which is rumored to be 2x more performance than a 3090.

I don't think ever a card has been released that's given twice the performance over it's equivalent from the previous year. They can make a shed tonne from people upgrading with just 20-30%. They probably could make a card but they'd miss out a cycle of revenue by trickle feeding performance gains. Maybe years ago when discrete graphics cards first came out. Today x1.5 maximum maybe.

Associate
I don't think ever a card has been released that's given twice the performance over it's equivalent from the previous year. They can make a shed tonne from people upgrading with just 20-30%. They probably could make a card but they'd miss out a cycle of revenue by trickle feeding performance gains. Maybe years ago when discrete graphics cards first came out. Today x1.5 maximum maybe.
Navi 31 is rumoured to be an absolute rasterisation beast making the 3090 seem like a x70 card in performance which is why the 4000 series gpu flagships are rumoured to have 600W TDP. Nvidia will push their architecture to the absolute limit if they have to squeak out a halo card win over AMD at any cost.

Back
Top Bottom