• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I buy a £3000 GPU or ...

Soldato
It is honestly my opinion that if you really care about the health of the PC gaming scene, now is the time to let Nvidia, AMD and the resellers know you are not playing their game anymore and to walk away from PC Gaming. It won't happen though, unfortunately. You, I and a few others will walk away but there will still be enough mugs willing to pay thousands for a piece of silicon that renders games a bit faster than a console. PC Gaming will become the preserve of the well off only as it used to be in the early days. That's fine I suppose. It is a bit of a shame though as I have been playing games on any platform I could get my hands on ever since my first gaming experience of Super Mario Bros on the NES. PC gaming is just going to be off limits for me going forward.

Hear hear. If you could replace teraflops with a basic understanding of consumer psychology and remove the cancer that is youtube influencers then the PC gaming sector wouldn’t look so bleak.

Associate
OP
Or how about this scenario:

Assuming Microsoft never changes their Xbox Live Gold to Gamepass conversion scheme. You could buy an Xbox Series X for £450 and then buy 3 years of Xbox Live Gold, convert it to 3 years of Gamepass for an extra £10.99 making 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate £112.96.

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/me...x-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360-eu-cd-key

So for £3000, you could have an Xbox Series X and 67 YEARS OF GAME PASS ULTIMATE!!! 67 YEARS!!!

OK that one is a bit far fetched!

Associate
[QUOTE="Console gaming is where it is at these days."[/QUOTE]

That's the point I'm making, basically PC, console, housing etc markets have gotten to humongous sizes due to the demand from population expansion, they've gotten too big and now its
starting to go in reverse.

Do you really think the console market will survive if PC goes, they are two sides of the same coin.
Don't forget The markets own MS/Nvidia/Intel/Amd etc and our little lives, as far as I can tell some kind of retribution is being given out by the huge markets now.

Caporegime
I program those high powered GPUs/CPUs and game a bit too, Watch dogs legion, CSGO etc.
We'll lose all this if the market starts dying. Software houses will pull out and what of Nvidia/Amd/MS/Intel?
Good. Let it all crash and burn. The plebs don't have unlimited funds and won't put up with the absolute state of this market forever. Many have already left and spent their money elsewhere. Let them all go under by their own greed.

PS You can play CSGO on a calculator, so not sure why you mentioned that one...

Associate
Month or so back I bought a new turntable instead of a GPU and now I'm thinking a nice new Orange Valve guitar amp.

This thread is so relevant because I am actively avoiding spending my money on an overpriced GPU, instead choosing to spend it on other hobbies.

What's next? New guitar? Hifi amp and speaker upgrade?

Soldato
So you're basically saying GPUs are totally overpriced these days.
Well you need a wake up call, your currency has devalued a substantial amount already in about 15 months NOT GPUs prices too high.

1. The PC GPU market is doing what we traders call a SHAKE OUT.
This means supply is low and the market takes prices higher and higher to SHAKE OUT the potential buyers.
Look at the housing market, the same thing is happening there!

3. Your currency has devalued so don't expect prices like the old days when GPU market balances out.

So... is it a Shake Out or the currency is devalued? :))

Since the other PC components are relatively fine, the only "devalued currency" is the GPU.

Associate
Awesome…for those that have eyes in the backs of their heads.

The GPU would orobably hold its value longer than the consoles & car

I'd wager you can mount the monitor at the front if you don't have a VR headset.. 4000 series and RDNA3 are rumoured to be 2 -2.5 x faster than current gen.. I'm guessing they ain't gonna hold their price very long. Ofcourse they could always create an upper tier for 4000 series, charge £2000+ and only release 4070,4080 and 4090.. nothing would suprise me at this point - besides MSRP AIB GPU's.

Associate
So... is it a Shake Out or the currency is devalued? :))

Since the other PC components are relatively fine, the only "devalued currency" is the GPU.

Both shake out and collapsing currency.
The currency is only devalued for GPUs, I think not, just look at the new ddr5 prices plus food, building materials and petrol etc.

Associate
Good. Let it all crash and burn. The plebs don't have unlimited funds and won't put up with the absolute state of this market forever. Many have already left and spent their money elsewhere. Let them all go under by their own greed.

PS You can play CSGO on a calculator, so not sure why you mentioned that one...

I doubt its greed from the big corps, basically the market is forcing their hand lifting the prices, this loses customers and a long term customer is
what every business wants. Miners are not long term customers.
I'm afraid its game over for the plebs, no more cheapo decent performing gaming rigs.

CSGO is just something I play off/on through the year, great fun with some teammates.

Back
Top Bottom