Road Cycling

Caporegime
Has anyone got the Castelli Perfetto ROS Gloves? My old winter gloves need replacing and I'm tempted to stick with Castelli as my previous set. These are widely reviewed to be the best, but I'm worried that they seem a little thin.

Ah nevermind, the Estremo's are still available so I will just buy another pair of these because they're excellent.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Couldn't find my head band so had to use a cap this morning. Now a question as if I use my headband when it's chilly - say 5c to keep my ears warm i get a sweaty head, but a cap doesn't cover your ears obviously. Does anyone have a lightweight headband they could recommend just to keep my ears a little warmer! @Roady you have clothes for every occasion so this question might be for you :p
I use https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-pro-thermal-headband, albeit a previous seasons version. Rate it highly.

Soldato
I've got one on one bike. I ignore it for the most part really but it seems to work just fine!

Have been pondering getting another in 170mm for the other bike.

Soldato
As good as the stages from everything I've heard. Although pwm are only as good as the user knowing what he's doing with it, but good stepping stone for improvement if you're willing to learn.

Soldato
I'll have to look up youtube on how to operate these gear levers!
Left lever is for your front chainring, right lever is for the rear.

Generally STI levers are the big lever to increase tension, the little to release it. As they're STI they 'click' into positions. The front chainring, tension moves it up/higher. The rear chainring tension moves it down/lower.

Front - Left hand push the entire lever to move it 'up' to the big ring. Big lever = big/harder gear. Little button to drop it down = smaller/easier gear. Little button is you 'bail out' when things get hard!

Rear - Right hand lever push the entire thing to change down, pressing little button to change up (go faster)!

Was out this morning for a couple of hours. Winter boots, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of bibs, 2 base layers, 1 Jersey, 1 shakedry, 2 pairs of gloves and a buff for my head. Still got cold feet.....going to need to dig out the heated insoles!
Surprised with that much kit on you neglected overshoes! I'm wearing less kit but still been in overshoes for months :D

Holy cow, 4iiii pwms can be had for just over £200 notes now. I'm sure I've read a few on here have them - anyone rate them?
I do. Got a 4iiii crankarm on my outside bike and a Stages crankarm on the indoor. Both rock solid and when swapping and riding them both alongside a Neo they where the 'same' (very unscientific).

Both of them just work. Been riding the 4iiii complaining about a flat battery for several weeks and it's still going!

Soldato
Left lever is for your front chainring, right lever is for the rear.

Generally STI levers are the big lever to increase tension, the little to release it. As they're STI they 'click' into positions. The front chainring, tension moves it up/higher. The rear chainring tension moves it down/lower.

Front - Left hand push the entire lever to move it 'up' to the big ring. Big lever = big/harder gear. Little button to drop it down = smaller/easier gear. Little button is you 'bail out' when things get hard!

Rear - Right hand lever push the entire thing to change down, pressing little button to change up (go faster)!

Thanks, I had a look at this video which explains it, similar layout to my MTB shimano gears except of course the position and shape!

Bike's just gone back up to £1350, glad I got it when I did!

Soldato
Not sure I'd manage to get overshoes over winter boots at all!

That reminds me though. Need to order a Boa for my boot. Somehow snapped it on Saturday. Barely even used the shoes.

Soldato
Well I've been road cycling for all of 4 months and I had my first off 3 weeks ago :(

I picked up a new Cannondale Synapse carbon in August. Was chuffed to bits with it being my first proper road bike. I got the dreaded upgrade-itis and before I knew it I had bought and fitted a 105 brakes, SRAM Force22 Crankset, Shimano RS500 Ultegra wheels, Specialized Romin EVO Comp Saddle, Conti season 4 tyres, lights, and all the gear.

Most of my riding is done in the evening after the little ones go to bed, its bloody hilly where I live and has some great routes. Found myself a few good routes (15-20 miles) and I was doing that most nights when dry.

I was getting a bit cocky blasting down some of the big hills, looking back it was a matter of bloody time before something went wrong.

Anyways..... I was blasting down a hill in not great conditions. The back wheel hit a pothole and it instantly deflated. Queue me drifting for a bit then slamming down on the road and sliding around 15-20 metres down the hill. Managed to come to a stop and roll off the wrong side of the road before an oncoming came a tad to close for comfort.

The lady in the car stopping to see if I was OK which was very good of her. She offered me a lift home. At first I declined but then after a few mins I could feel things seizing up and noticed my clothing was ripped to buggery. So I accepted her offer. Chucked the bike int he back of her car and she run me back home.

Got home and in the light I could see what a bloody mess I was. Think I must have left half my arse on that hill. and had gravel rash on my shin and elbow. All clothing by the helmet was ruined. The bike wasn't too bad. It landed on the right side so I had a scuffed pedal, derailer, skewer and the right STI name plate was broken.

I didn't bother going to A&E initially and just patched it all up myself. After a few days it had all got infected so off to A&E. That was fun getting everything scrubbed up then sent home with dressings and antibiotics. The wounds took a good 2 and half weeks to get better.

Haven't got back on the bike yet, think I'm about ready to now as I can finally sit down without pain again. Just waiting for the first bit of decent weather. I defo wont be flying down hills at them speeds again that's for sure.

Soldato
Ouch. Heal up soon!

I got an infected wound on my arm before from road rash. It stung quite a bit. Ended up having to take antibiotics. I also discovered a day after the accident my wrist wasn't sprained - I'd broken my hand.

Soldato
Thanks chaps. Yes. Chomping at the bit to get back on even if my arse is still a tad delicate, oh and still haven’t got full movement in my shoulder and pressure pains on my right palm. All where I must have slammed down on my right side. Tis but a flesh wound :D

On a side note. I’ve swapped out the 25mm conti season 4 tyres for a set of 30mm GP5000s. Hoping they will help with pinch flats and give a bit more comfort and grip. I also treated myself to a Wahoo Elemnt roam which I can’t wait to try out. The whole Strava segment times are a great motivator.

Soldato
Glad you are on the mend. GP5000s are best tyres I've used, great puncture defence. Not sure they would save a blowout in your situation although hopefully give extra confidence in the corners!

Soldato
I used to get LOADS of these, then I got tyre pressure monitors and I realised how much tyres deflate day to day. As long as I keep them up at 90 PSI, I've not really got pinch flats since. Best solution, pump your tyres up every week.
I pump them every ~3 weeks probably and never more than like 80psi to start with. Will often find I'm down to like 60 but I seem to get away with it. Of course I've hit rocks/big holes a few times and pinch flatted but I'd imagine even at 90psi they'd pop.

Soldato
I think it varies by body weight and tyre width, doesn't it? I'm 100kg and on 28mm so I aim for 90-95psi at the back and maybe 85 at the front. In the cold I would go a few psi above this as you can lose about 8psi as the tyres get out into the cold.

Yeah, 8-12 PSI a week lost would sound about what I experience.

Back
Top Bottom