Screen recommendation needed - photo/productivity/games

Associate
Hi all,

I've got some Dell vouchers to spend and I thought I'd upgrade from my old 22" screen (not even Full HD!) to something more fitting.
Majority of my time is spent on photo editing and general work, with little left for games. The PC is not capable of running anything at 4K, so I am in two mind about getting a 2K or 4K screen.
At work, I usually have 2x 24" full HD screens and I'd personally get something with higher resolution rather than 2 displays.
I haven't worked on a 4K screen before so not sure how this will feel, but my thinking is to get a screen that will last a good 5y+
In the near future I should be upgrading my setup to at least take 2K gaming easily, but I can always lower the resolution to full HD if needed.

There are some nice discounts atm on the S2721QS so I could grab that for about £150.

Any thoughts? recommendations?

Soldato
Budget?

3840x1600 resolution is 2x 1920x1600 screens side by side, so same width and more height than your dual 24"

However you need quite deep pockets for a screen with that resolution :S

On a 27" 4k monitor you may find you need to enable some scaling so everything isn't tiny, that will impact how much of an increase in usable desktop space you have

Soldato
At work, I usually have 2x 24" full HD screens
If you're doing graphical work, your boss is sadist for making you to work with such medieval resolution low screens.
Heck, consider 1920x1200 as absolute minimum even for web surfing.

Photoediting could definitely use 3840x2160 resolution.
Though for gaming at native resolution it's very demanding with over doubled amount of pixels to render over 2560x1440. (and 4x of 1920x1080)
On the other hand it can show 1920x1080 without any loss of sharpness using simple integer scaling and scaling techniques are now under fast advance.
Depending on type of games you would play bigger issue is above 60Hz models being expensive. (+Dell having none)
Unlike in CRTs in which lowering resolution allowed using higher refresh rate, LCDs have hard locked max refresh rate.

Fast paced game capable 100+ Hz 2560x1440 models are again commonly available from pretty much any monitor brand/maker in 27" size. (32" rarer)

Associate
OP
I would want to get something under £350

Work is not photo related, so it's just my own stuff that I do.
I don't really need 4k, but had been struggling to find sensible options at 2k with higher refresh rates.
I don't want to compromise color gammut coverage for refresh rate. I don't play competitevly at all. Equally if for similar money I can grab 4k, why not?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Resurrecting this thread as I didn't get far with it and I am open to buying other screens than Dell now.
My browse through RTings returned likes of:
Acer Nitro XV272U - spec seems unreal to be Acer made lol..
Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-EK - currently amazing discount here at OCUK
MSI OPTIX MAG272CQR - VA with such color gamut? hmm interesting. also great price right now at OCUK

Anything else I need to consider?

Back
Top Bottom