What Do We Think Of The Echo 4th Gen and Google Nest Audio?

Soldato
I was using an old Google Home mini for music about the house and thought I'd upgrade it this Black Friday. I plumped for a 4th Gen Echo (not the Dot) for £55.

I've given it a quick spin tonight and first impressions are that the bass is overpowering and the middle is very weak. Not very impressed at the moment.

I've also got a Google Nest Audio sitting here sealed but as I bought it in store from a shop (£65), if I open it I keep it. I think it might be equally disappointing so I'm reluctant to peel off the cellophane.

Has anyone used both devices and if so how do you think the Google Audio compares to the Echo?

Am I just tone deaf and expecting too much from a £55 speaker?

Just now I'm leaning towards returning both and buying a Sonos One but I think that if I do I'll be sitting here thinking that it wasn't worth 3 times the cost and I've just chucked away a hundred odd quid.

Help!

Soldato
I've given it a quick spin tonight and first impressions are that the bass is overpowering and the middle is very weak. Not very impressed at the moment.

You'll get this with a lot of "smart" speakers. A lot people seem to think bass = quality, a bit of a BOSE marketing idea I think.

Sometimes they have a loudness setting, turn this off if it's got it.

I have a few Sonos One's in my kitchen and dining room and they still suffer from lacking mids too IMO but certainly better than a few others i've heard.

Soldato
Was more wondering how the Echo compares to the Google Audio but point taken, I'll mess about with the settings to to see if I can find a sound I like. :D

You'll probably find it's still a bit bassy tbh, mine are all set to zero but I live with it because for the money and usage it does the job

Soldato
OP
You'll probably find it's still a bit bassy tbh, mine are all set to zero but I live with it because for the money and usage it does the job
Yeah, don't think I'll bother opening it tbh.

Messed about with the EQ settings and have the Echo sounding okay(ish) to my ears by turning down bass a couple of clicks and turning up mid by about the same.

I actually think it'd benefit more from another one in a different part of the room as the sound seems to degrade significantly if you're not standing right in front of it.

Back
Top Bottom