I wonder why us shopfloor workers weren't asked.

Man of Honour
Can picture it already...

"Has anyone ever fallen off a bicycle before?"

Today I fell off my bicycle whilst cycling home from my four hour shift. My feet were freezing because I don't know how to keep my feet warm and I got distracted when a car passed playing Christmas music. I was also turtle necking because I'm unsure of my gender and whether or not I can use the ladies' toilets as the gents was out of order. Has anyone experienced this before?"
Ouch :eek: :D

Man of Honour
Down "sarf" every other place is crying out for delivery scooter riders. I assume that's the case up there too. Maybe look into that? All you need is a scooter (obviously) - just buy a used one, a one-day CBT course (£130) and some weatherproof boots, trousers, jacket, gloves and helmet (take a look on sportsbikeshop for clearance items). It's never going to make you a millionairre but it's probably a quick and easy solution if you really want to change jobs.
From a retail job where they already complain about being cold to a delivery scooter rider in winter... Out of the fridge and into the artic springs to mind :D

Awaits @Diddums stories of being blown off a bridge covered in sheet ice wearing nothing more than a loin cloth and a smile riding his scoot.

Caporegime
Down "sarf" every other place is crying out for delivery scooter riders. I assume that's the case up there too. Maybe look into that? All you need is a scooter (obviously) - just buy a used one, a one-day CBT course (£130) and some weatherproof boots, trousers, jacket, gloves and helmet (take a look on sportsbikeshop for clearance items). It's never going to make you a millionairre but it's probably a quick and easy solution if you really want to change jobs.

Loads of them provide scooters too, like Dominos, and will also provide most of the kit required to do the job. You literally just need a CBT, walk in and start working. Simple as that.

Anyone saying there's no work out there when the entire country is literally begging for staff is simply too lazy to leave their comfort zone.

Man of Honour
Midlands. Public transport is rubbish where I live, so avoiding places with no car parking or a waiting list for a permit. One call centre I got the job I had to turn down as found out the car park has a waiting list. Everyone had to do 12-14 shifts every 6 weeks finishing after 8pm. Buses are once an hour then - at 40 mins past hour so don’t want to stand that long freezing and no parking on the streets nearby as either pay n display for a max of 3 hours or residents parking! The person I spoke to about the car parking said the average wait was 18 months- 2 years! I would have accepted the job if I was able to park in the car park from day 1.
The Midlands is a hotbed of employment compared to where I used to live in South Wales. I cannot see how there are literally no jobs, sounds like nonsense to me sorry.

Caporegime

Today I fell off my bicycle whilst cycling home from my four hour shift. My feet were freezing because I don't know how to keep my feet warm and I got distracted when a car passed playing Christmas music. I was also turtle necking because I'm unsure of my gender and whether or not I can use the ladies' toilets as the gents was out of order. Has anyone experienced this before?"
I've never fallen from my bike, cut my hands to shreds breaking my fall then got on the bike at lightning speed hoping no one saw it.

Wet leaves are lethal btw, it's like braking on ice

Soldato

Shots fired.

Man of Honour
I wasn't bored.

When you wrote that "after so long you start getting bored" I thought you were including yourself:

I got it twice either way, I didn't ask for it.
A few weeks/months off work might sound tasty but after so long you start getting bored, cabin fever sets in and you want to go back to work but the worst thing was THE PUBS WERE SHUT!!!!

But at least I had things to get on with.

Man of Honour
I've never fallen from my bike, cut my hands to shreds breaking my fall then got on the bike at lightning speed hoping no one saw it.

Wet leaves are lethal btw, it's like braking on ice

You should catch a train when wet leaves are about...oh, wait :)

Joking aside, I agree with you. Wet leaves are bad news when you're cycling. I've had some unpleasant moments with them.

Way back when I was a kid I was flung off my bike over the handlebars for some reason and landed on my feet running and stayed upright. It was completely by chance. I had no plan in play at all and was far more likely to hit the ground in a heap and get hurt. But I looked around hoping some other kid had seen it so I could pretend it was completely deliberate and get big points for the stunt. No luck.

Soldato
Only counts if it was uphill both ways and you had to get up before you went to bed.
We never had beds when I were a lad... we all huddled together for warmth and slept on an old church pew, roped upright to keep us from falling down into the filth on the floor.... and it cost us each tuppence ha'p'ny a night!

Caporegime
Even more slippery than ice, I'll have you know.
I was literally going 8mph in a park and my back end just completely slid out from under me in a split second.

My worst accident as an adult was following a cycle path that goes from the road up onto the path by way of a dropped kerb...
you can probably guess what happened.... I'm going like 15mph and I barely come up the kerb with any kind of angle of attack.

once my front wheel is up the kerb..... my back wheel is basically parallel with the dropped kerb right.... and it's got enough of a lip/raised edge that my back wheel develops a mind of it's own.... it doesn't want to go up the kerb... it wants to slide along it....

been paranoid of kerbs and tram tracks ever since

I was on a hybrid/city bike when it happened too, so not like something with a skinny tyre.

the same tyre would fit on my cyclocross bike though it's not like it's uber fat

Associate
OP
There's something I've noticed about working on a supermarket shopfloor,
the supermarket want you to do an extra hour due to staff shortage* but insist that you have the favour back when they want to give you back and on their terms only but they're perfectly happy for you to offer to do an extra hour/start early without discussion and use your contract as a weapon against you. I was going to do an extra hour tonight depending on whether somebody else turned upm at the right time.
The favour I'd want back is my laptops SSD internal drive upgraded but of course, with it being a supermarket I'd be accused of being unreasonable just for wanting the favour back on my terms and when I wanted it (I know its a bit OT but if I do an extra hour as a favour, I'd want the favour back).
Everybody goers on about the poor stressed out shoppers but what about the floor staff, especially when a visit from one of the osses th next day and the stress put on by the managers/team leaders who put stress on the staff?

*CTMs who can't be arsed to turn up without calling in or turn up late. I don't do an extra hour for people like that and don't tell me you lot have never worked with somebody like that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You think managers don't suffer from stress when they're short staffed and trying to keep a shop open?

Get a new job. This is messing with your mental health.

Back
Top Bottom