The 2021 Black Friday Deals Thread

Commissario
In total with the Black Friday deals this year I got the Stadia/Chromecast (just shipped), a new laser level with better angles than my old one, and a pole mount for it.

The laser level (with a tripod*) and mount were semi spur of the moment but I'm struggling to get some shelving up (I like to make sure the uprights are right) and the old laser was a pain to use for this job so they came up at the right time as the pole mount means I can just put it in place without it taking up a lot of floor space (unlike the tripod or balancing a stack of things for the old one).

*Cheaper than the bare model.

Associate
jeez that's massive - given the investment £500 do they have a longer guarantee ... or, suck much more mobile battery

It is more the fact that the mechanical drive is quite old, and quite slow, I will keep it in the machine but not plugged in as a back up.

I wanted to have the reliability, speed advantage and now the silence.

It didn't cost me £500, it cost me £221 for the SSD. It's not a top of the range SSD, but it's still faster than the mechanical drive I had.

This was for my desktop pc and I used the larger slower drive for just my apps and data and things that aren't performance dependent like music. I have a couple of 500GB and 1TB SSD's that I use for gaming.

Soldato
My Stadia is meant to be coming tomorrow. Only got the it's going to be late email yesterday which was late in itself since it was originally scheduled for delivery on 25th Nov. but glad mine has as least been dispatched now.

Soldato
My Stadia is meant to be coming tomorrow. Only got the it's going to be late email yesterday which was late in itself since it was originally scheduled for delivery on 25th Nov. but glad mine has as least been dispatched now.
Same

Still not really sure what it is for

Soldato
I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on an air fryer for myself...

My birtdoy today and my kids got me a Philip's Air Fryer haha! I was so close as well. It was in my basket and everything. Least I have one now!
I got told it's great for nugs when you just want a low number of nugs but clearly not enough nugs to justify being a heathen and turning the oven on. The number of nugs could be as low as 1 and as high as 6 (beyond 6 and you should use the oven)

Soldato
Same

Still not really sure what it is for

The chromecast allows you to cast from certain apps like youtube, iplayer etc to the TV that the chromecast is attached to. This is the main reason I bought one as my TV is not smart anymore as the TV apps vanish after a few years when the TV model is no longer supported by the developers.

The Stadia controller I believe can be used on the PC as an alternative to an Xbox controller or with the Stadia service which there is an app you have to install on a phone. I believe you get the first month's subscription to Stadia Pro for free then it's £8.99 a month to access a range of free game titles.

Soldato
I believe you get the first month's subscription to Stadia Pro for free then it's £8.99 a month to access a range of free game titles.

You still need to pay full price for most games though don't you? (even with the subscription).

Out of interest, my bank is showing 2 separate £19.99 pending payments from Google play store (with different descriptions), did anyone else get this? I assume it will sort itself out once the payment is actually processed?

Last edited:
Soldato
You still need to pay full price for most games though don't you? (even with the subscription).

Out of interest, my bank is showing 2 separate £19.99 pending payments from Google play store (with different descriptions), did anyone else get this? I assume it will sort itself out once the payment is actually processed?

Yes it's some free with the subscription and some others can be bought if you have a subscription.

https://stadia.google.com/games?hl=en-GB

I think if you have a Ubi subscription you can play their games through Stadia too but I think you need to have the Stadia Pro sub too.

I checked my credit card transactions earlier and definitely didn't have two charges for it.

Soldato
The chromecast allows you to cast from certain apps like youtube, iplayer etc to the TV that the chromecast is attached to. This is the main reason I bought one as my TV is not smart anymore as the TV apps vanish after a few years when the TV model is no longer supported by the developers.

The Stadia controller I believe can be used on the PC as an alternative to an Xbox controller or with the Stadia service which there is an app you have to install on a phone. I believe you get the first month's subscription to Stadia Pro for free then it's £8.99 a month to access a range of free game titles.
Much obliged! Maybe the Chromecast will solve my poor Plex streaming performance with the built in WiFi/LG App.

Back
Top Bottom