The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Is the insurance cheaper via tesla with direct line ? - you didn't check insurance before ordering car !

It's not like I'm 18 anymore or buying something seriously powerful/exotic :p.

A Model 3 is a pretty 'normal' these days, its one of the better selling car in the UK at the moment. For some context on the '3 times more', I am paying sub-£200 for my current 11 year old 110bhp car so I was expecting it to go up a fair amount. The best quote so far without really trying was £550 so not crazy in the grand scheme of things.

Associate

A Model 3 is a pretty 'normal' these days, its one of the better selling car in the UK at the moment. For some context on the '3 times more', I am paying sub-£200 for my current 11 year old 110bhp car so I was expecting it to go up a fair amount. The best quote so far without really trying was £550 so not crazy in the grand scheme of things.

sounds about right, I'm with LV for the last 2 years. did not bother shopping around when it renewed, only went up £25 or so and I thought that was within margin.

still hoping tesla insurance becomes a thing in the UK one day, i do low mileage and always in chill mode so ought to be lower cost if they live up to the promise.

like all this things - sometimes hype is greater then the product in the end but time will tell.

Associate
We got an insurance quote before hitting the order button, we were shocked how high some of the quotes were. We expecting it to be cheaper than our current car (Merc GLC 43) as that's always been fairly pricey to insure.

I wonder if some of the software features of the car make it higher risk? Auto pilot in particular?

Soldato
Different country but same issue with insurance - I just got a quote to switch the VW ID4 on my policy for a Model 3 and the cost goes up by 40% ($800 to about $1150 for 6 months) :(. It's more expensive to insure than the 8 series!

Annoyingly I've been asked to choose a delivery date for my Model 3 LR today, I was hoping they'd take another few weeks because I don't want to take delivery until 2022 in case Congress passes the BBB bill and the Federal tax credit is restored for Tesla...

Soldato
Higher insurance could be down to the ridiculous cost Tesla invoice for repairs. Even basic damage runs into many thousands of pounds to fix.

Soldato
I wonder if some of the software features of the car make it higher risk? Auto pilot in particular?

Highly unlikely given it makes them safer.

It's purely down to quantity of data like a credit check and not having a credit history; compared to other cars Model 3s are still new and so they simply don't have the historical data and some therefore treat it as worse case scenario.

Same reason why some - even tech/green startups - flat out are just unable to provide insurance.

Soldato
I checked recently and on compared the market quotes were only 350 or so and that was for the performance version.maybe drivers of the short range are higher risk as they're always looking for a charging point :cry:.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

£350? What’s that, 3,000 miles per annum and locked in Fort Knox? :p

I’m 37 with 20 years no claims, no accidents of any type and parked on a private drive in a good area with the mrs as a named driver. At 10,000 miles I couldn’t get anything below £475.

Soldato

I'd appreciated that, with EVH's post on £900 ...& he hasn't said where he got his £475 now ...
I'm more cautious and prospect of >£600 may well put me off the car, even if that should be held in balance as part of overall ownership cost;
do you need GAP insurance too ?(despite the current inflating market)

edit: right to repair may modulate insurance costs ?

Soldato
Quotes are always going to be higher if trying to insure it so close to the date you want the policy to start, as they have you over a barrel.

I also found that adding a second named driver brought the policy cost down considerably, even if they never drive it.

Before I got the current car I had some quotes for a Model 3 and they were 20% more than the Ioniq but the car cost/value was nearly 20% more.

Soldato
Well delivery is booked for Monday at 10.30 and they confirmed it’s the new battery and the more powerful motor than I ordered - nice.

For my VIN formally and my reg, I just need my invoice now so I can pay.

@jpaul - yes I’ll probably get gap insurance, costs depending. I don’t think I’ll ever be in negative equity, but I’m thinking of getting new car value cover for 3 years.

It also depends if direct line quote me something sensible as they will replace the car for a brand new one in the first year in the event of a write off.

Soldato
A bit of a result in the insurance front, direct line only wanted another £151 to cover the remaining 8 months of the policy.

If I prorated that for a whole year it would have come to about £425 and over £100 less than the best over on money supermarket yesterday.

Soldato
£350? What’s that, 3,000 miles per annum and locked in Fort Knox? :p

I’m 37 with 20 years no claims, no accidents of any type and parked on a private drive in a good area with the mrs as a named driver. At 10,000 miles I couldn’t get anything below £475.
Just did it this morning, churchill me and the mrs, actually younger than you by a couple of years:p. I've set it to quite a high excess, but 10k miles 350 quid. Don't get me wrong, the next quote was about 100 quid more and some were 6-700 and who I'm currently with don't cover it so there's a bit if hassle going on. That's insured for Sunday. Parked on drive on a night and office car park during the day.

Caporegime
Higher insurance could be down to the ridiculous cost Tesla invoice for repairs. Even basic damage runs into many thousands of pounds to fix.
For a green company their ‘replace the car’ approach is a bit odd. Same with this one piece cast thing to make manufacturing cheaper. Any damage and the car is written off.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd appreciated that, with EVH's post on £900 ...& he hasn't said where he got his £475 now ...
I'm more cautious and prospect of >£600 may well put me off the car, even if that should be held in balance as part of overall ownership cost;
do you need GAP insurance too ?(despite the current inflating market)

edit: right to repair may modulate insurance costs ?
I said I got the £475 from Hastings :confused:

Soldato
A lot of people on TMC getting great prices with Peugeot!

I'm currently with LV= and they want £105 (Inc £15 admin fee) to swap to the M3 for the remainder of my policy (just under 6 months)

Happy with that; not so much with ......

So, filled my current car with diesel for the last time and had / have just a few journeys left before collection / trade in Tuesday. Driving extra careful, you know, just in case and....

IMG-20211202-124721.jpg

IMG-20211202-124726.jpg

Middle lane of the M6 on the way back from Brum this afternoon

Saw something out the corner of my eye then BANG! Luckily no damage to anything but the window and must have been a stone / rock / brick thrown up by another vehicle

Trying to get it replaced before Tuesday has been "challenging" but all going well should be replaced tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom