Yourself

Soldato
I spoke to this recruiter yesterday who kept saying yourself to me. He said something like, "I just sent this specification over to yourself, but I don't know understand what yourself means regards to the position." I can't remember the rest of the conversation because he annoyed me so much by saying yourself, but he must have said it about 15 times in a 3 minute conversation.

What the hell...it's like semi-colons. If you don't know how to use the word or the semi-colon, just don't use it as it makes you look and sound stupid! I felt like telling him how ridiclous he sounded, but that would have been a bit too mean.

Anyway, rant over.

Soldato
I have encountered this phenomenon too. Often when someone is trying to speak to you professionally, such as estate agents etc. It sounds weird to me and it's obviously not grammatically correct, but language is an evolving thing, so who's to really say what's wrong or right. I take it you understood that he meant to say 'you', so you could still follow. I do judge people who do this though, can't help it as I had a very grammatically correct upbringing (i.e. things were definitely wrong or right).

Soldato
OP
cheesefest alt?

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Soldato
OP
I have encountered this phenomenon too. Often when someone is trying to speak to you professionally, such as estate agents etc. It sounds weird to me and it's obviously not grammatically correct, but language is an evolving thing, so who's to really say what's wrong or right. I take it you understood that he meant to say 'you', so you could still follow. I do judge people who do this though, can't help it as I had a very grammatically correct upbringing (i.e. things were definitely wrong or right).

So did I. He was almost definitely a former estate agent, but recruiters and estate agents at that level are more or less the same to my mind.

For me it's simply - if you can't use it in the correct context then either learn or don't bother using it!

Soldato
I see it used as shorthand for you and only you to deal with and respond too, not for you to pass on to another which tends to happen in a company environment.

Soldato
Yeah, it's ******* annoying.

As are recruiters, usually. Sometimes I find one I like - the ones working for temp positions are much more attentive, I guess because they have to be with how fast things move.

Back
Top Bottom