Arizona officer fired after fatally shooting man in wheelchair

Soldato
Had one dealing with a US Police Officer, on holiday in Orlando we nipped into shop to pick up some bits before heading back to the Villa. As we approached our hire car the cop was looking in it, wondering what has happened we asked if everything was ok when he stated his wife wanted to buy the same model car we had on hire. He couldn't have been nicer, asking question, asked if he could sit in it etc.. After a few minutes he thanked us and wished us a good vacation.

Man of Honour
It's probably because people actually pull guns on Cops and shoot them dead from time to time, Cops have to treat routine stops as if they could turn deadly in a heart beat. Not referring to the guy in the wheelchair btw

I was stopped for speeding in rural Florida years ago, while en route to the airport, my passport and old driving licence were in my wife’s bag, as she doesn’t trust me not to lose stuff.
The cop asked for ID and I told him that my wife had it, saying, “Get my passport Nic.”
As she reached down the cop put his hand on the butt of his weapon but didn’t remove it, saying, “Slowly ma’am.”
I thought that he was being quite reasonable, and just sat there clutching the wheel with white knuckles.
He looked at my passport, ripped me a new a-hole and told me to go, but to ease off the gas.

Soldato
Can a Union decide to not represent one of it's members? They are probably obliged to represent you without prejudice.

You're probably right.

Though its a bad look to be defending potential criminals.

I thought Unions were more about saving someones job. Not defending them in a criminal case?

Permabanned
Devil's advocate time again this afternoon!

Not having the mental stamina to be either interested in American gun crime, nor keeping abreast of it like many in here, could not this officer's defence be that he feared the criminal may have a concealed firearm and be heading into the store with the possibility of using it? Always best to stop and surrender in America, even if you are just a knife wielding cripple in a wheelchair. Seems simple enough to me....

The man may not (perhaps... apparently...) have been able to walk, but could still be devastatingly dangerous with a firearm. Quite what the fascination is with American gun crime by those in the UK I don't understand. A dearth of good westerns these days?

Soldato
Devil's advocate time again this afternoon!

Not having the mental stamina to be either interested in American gun crime, nor keeping abreast of it like many in here, could not this officer's defence be that he feared the criminal may have a concealed firearm and be heading into the store with the possibility of using it? Always best to stop and surrender in America, even if you are just a knife wielding cripple in a wheelchair. Seems simple enough to me....

The man may not (perhaps... apparently...) have been able to walk, but could still be devastatingly dangerous with a firearm. Quite what the fascination is with American gun crime by those in the UK I don't understand. A dearth of good westerns these days?

I dunno about trying to claim threat of a gun that was never seen or implied or "reached for".

The guy was known to have scared off a receipt check by showing a knife. You can see it fall out of his hand when he got killed. The security guard who was an off duty policeman followed the guy in his wheelchair out of the starting point of a Walmart, through a parking lot to a Lowes talking at him the entire time. You can see this in footage. Guy in the wheelchair makes no effort to threaten anyone during that time including the policeman. Don't think he acknowledges the policeman a single time in fact.

Soldato
Can a Union decide to not represent one of it's members? They are probably obliged to represent you without prejudice.

No, it's not the Unions job to decide whether a member is guilty or not, they're presumed innocent until a court decides otherwise. It's not really all that difficult to understand. Sure it looks plainly like the Cop is guilty in this instance, but the Union doesn't get to decide that.

Soldato
There were clear opportunities to use Taser there, especially after his colleague arrived providing lethal cover. Absolutely baffling and an utterly gross overuse of force.

Soldato
It's probably because people actually pull guns on Cops and shoot them dead from time to time, Cops have to treat routine stops as if they could turn deadly in a heart beat. Not referring to the guy in the wheelchair btw
Last year 49 law enforcement officers in the US were shot dead, the US has approximately 696,444 police officers so a grand total of 0.007%. I'm not saying it's not tragic but it certainly doesn't justify a tiny minority of officers resorting to lethal force when it really isn't required. Sadly like in all jobs some people are idiots it's just rather unfortunate these idiots are given guns and let loose on members of the public.

Commissario
Last year 49 law enforcement officers in the US were shot dead, the US has approximately 696,444 police officers so a grand total of 0.007%. I'm not saying it's not tragic but it certainly doesn't justify a tiny minority of officers resorting to lethal force when it really isn't required. Sadly like in all jobs some people are idiots it's just rather unfortunate these idiots are given guns and let loose on members of the public.
Aye and IIRC something like 5-6 times as many have died of covid and despite that many law enforcement officers in the Us have actively, and repeatedly refused to take even the most basic steps to protect themselves (and others) even when it was required by their theoretical employers (the state/city/town), and refused to take the vaccine despite being amongst the first to be eligible for it.

Soldato

Yeah but 250 were shot, how many were stabbed, how many attempted stabbings and shootings were there, how many physical assaults? Like there's a lot of **** between being shot dead and nothing at all happening in a routine Police interaction. There's plenty of videos on Youtube of Police not being shot dead, but being very nearly shot dead.

Back
Top Bottom