Cheapest way to heat a room

Associate
In that sort of space, you're probably better off going for a direct blown hot air heater, and have it on a very low setting, but directed straight at you.

As the space isn't enclosed, and you've said a draft comes up the stairs, an oil radiator isn't going to help much, as it's trying to heat the whole space, whereas a hot air heater will be blowing warm air at you (so you'll feel warm), but will never actually heat the space.

Associate
What is the model mate? Sounds ideal

https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/trns0505m-oil-filled-radiator/p/TRNS0505M

This one, though unfortunately is out of stock in their site and I think a few other places too, but looking at stairs you may need a bit higher than 0.5kw as mine is in a more sealed room so can keep the heat a bit more, maybe try the 0.8 one or even higher, I would read reviews to be sure, but that small De Longi would definitely go well under the desk and the desk helps keep the heat in too.

There are other companies that do less than KW options as well could be worth checking. I also have a 2KW one I got from Wickes that I very rarely put on, that was only £40 or so, could be an option if ran at lower temps but it is bulky.

Soldato
I was in a similar position as I work in the loft without a radiator. I went for a 1500w oil radiator from.von haus:

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/heating/oil-filled-radiators

It heats a 4m x 3m with poor insulation really well, so where you are, it should be toasty warm.

I can't remember the costs but I recall at the time, it worked out the cheapest option. It heats up the room in about 30 mins and once up to temperature, it only comes on sporadically.

Soldato
Oil filled rad would be a decent idea, but tbh your stairs look very similar to mine and being open like that is a bit of a nightmare.
Our back door is right at the bottom of the stairs and we have a thermal curtain there in the winter.

Soldato
Lucky I have an office which is heated by way too much technology so even when the heating is off, my office is warm.

Same, my office/man room is small, south (ish) facing with a window. I have the radiator turned off in there permanently, and it's the warmest room in the house by far due to the heat of the electrical equipment (and myself) being radiated in a small space.

Soldato
Hot water bottle on your lap, covered by a small blanket - Warms your core and keeps the rest of you comfortable.
Also, get the massive OCUK mega desk mat, to defend your delicate digits from the disagreeable desktop...

Soldato
Everyones missing the obvious, setting your desk on fire and or yourself is sure to keep you warm and be very cheap. Limited impact on the environment also

Back
Top Bottom