VR Recommendations

Associate
Maaarning all.

I'm innerested in getting some kind of VR headset for some fun and games over Christmas. What I'm looking for is something that is totally standalone - nothing that needs hooking up to another device - so basically just the goggles / headset.

And, as I know nothing about this technology, is it any good in your experiences? Recommendations most appreciated.

Associate
OP
I mean Oculus Quest is the one that leaps out. Is it any good or is it something that I'm just going to put back in ts backs after a few weeks once the novelty has worn out?

Or, dare I ask, is it the gateway to hell? (cf. Mark Zuckerberg's Metaverse)

Soldato
I've got the quest 1, and it's still a great bit of kit. I also have PSVR, but that never gets a look in - too much faff with cables, camera.

Soldato
Definitely the Quest 2.

I've got 4 VR Headsets and by far that gets the most use now!

And can only echo many recommendations

In order, for a newbie:
1. Space Pirate Trainer - This can be a bit short lived, but the best game for gently getting in to the experience, it really is a nice way of having an immediate 'wow' factor if people haven't tried VR before and it's a game that doesn't stress your senses (i.e. feeling sick!)
2. Superhot - If it's anyone's first VR experience they can struggle, but as a game it's great and once people start playing they will carry on..
3. Beat Saber - This is so much fun to start with, just the Demo is enough to have a blast!
4. Walkabout Mini Golf - Nice and easy game to pootle around in, gets you used to locomotion and is reasonably comfortable.
5. Vader Immortal series - A simple enough experience, just worth the money (~£8), but gets you used to a little bit of locomotion in a comfortable way.

Then go for whatever you fancy..

If you are new to VR then I'd recommend starting with something like Space Pirate Trainer/Superhot, the issue is that anything you have too much going on when looking around, or you have to keep teleporting around can make you feel intensely sick which ruins things.. You have to build up and get used to it all.

One tip is to get a fan blowing directly on your head whilst playing, that helps keep you cool and we've found can really help reduce some of the motion sickness as part of that is when you start to heat up and it all snowballs from there.

Soldato
I got a Rift S second hand a couple of weeks ago.

I have found Google Earth/ Street View the best thing for VR. That works incredibly well.

Doom Vfr is pretty good, too.

Soldato
Maaarning all.

I'm innerested in getting some kind of VR headset for some fun and games over Christmas. What I'm looking for is something that is totally standalone - nothing that needs hooking up to another device - so basically just the goggles / headset.

And, as I know nothing about this technology, is it any good in your experiences? Recommendations most appreciated.

Have a mooch through this

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/oculus-quest-2-owners-thread.18902383/

Soldato
Quest 2.

Best on-device games Superhot, Beatsaber.

Best PC-connected game Half life Alyx. Best is cable connected, but the beta wifi pairing also works.

Soldato
There's a dedicated VR forum up in the hardware section OP.

But as already said, Quest 2.

There is a novelty element to it I admit, I don't use it as much now as when I first bought it. But the experience on PCVR with things like driving sims, flight sims and space sims is awesome.

And the standalone stuff and social stuff works pretty well too.

Caporegime
Head over to the VR sub forum :)

And yes, a Quest 2 hands down. Think you can get the 128GB (new base model) for between £250-300 in some recent deals.

It was a game change for me, though after the initial fanfare I didn't use it for months. But do a 30min workout most days now. Beat Saber, Space Pirate Trainer, Pistol Whip are some good games to get started on.

PS - upgrade the default facial interface and head strap, you can get much better alternatives for around £40-50 combined.

Don
I missed that point.
But in general, are they comparable or is there a clear frontrunner? Only asking for myself.

PSVR is utter garbage compared to Quest 2, or Quest 1 even. The tracking is poor on the headset and is downright terrible on the hand controls. I tried it round a friends place as he was always telling me VR was garbage and I wanted to see why he though that when my own experience is the exact opposite. It turns out that yes, VR is garbage if your only exposure is PSVR.

Back
Top Bottom