• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 worth the extra £100-£150 vs 6700XT

Soldato
Hey, three of those (F1 2021, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Call of Duty Black Ops) are Nvidia sponsored titles. :cry:

No good getting salty with me just because your 10-15% got called out as wrong. :p

Where AM I salty with you? I even put smiley faces on. I even said in my first post I'd go with the 6700XT. :rolleyes:

usual stirring and self projection with personal insults as usual. Just block me FGS

Caporegime
Where AM I salty with you? I even put smiley faces on. I even said in my first post I'd go with the 6700XT. :rolleyes:

usual stirring and self projection with personal insults as usual. Just block me FGS
To be fair you got personal with what you wrote, not the other way around. No hard feelings here Woodsta888 so no need for ignore options. :)

I was just providing a different opinion and links to techpowerup's 6700 XT reviews.

Associate
bt

I just used GURU 3D reviews and my numbers compiled from GAME benchmarks within it.

Your first link shows results from a 6600 review. Why wouldn't you use a review from the cards we are talking about? Looks like TPU haven't even reviewed a 6700XT and extrapolated.

Well, because I went to TPU, selected Reviews filtered for GPUs and took the first one which had the cards in the results. For CB I just used their November overview. (BTW, wish other sites would do those hover-over recalculations in their charts as they are very handy.)

Anyway, only responded as I was looking at 3070 vs 6700 myself with the perf vs VRAM question and had only seen about 5% or so and not 15% to 20%.

Man of Honour
Regarding the 'waiting for an FE' thing, if you have the bankroll there is always the option of buying an overpriced third party card to use now (given you seem willing to pay for it), keep trying for an FE card and if you bag one, sell the overpriced card. This is not a risk-free approach as there is always a risk the non-FE card loses some value on the second hand market, but right now it looks a viable option and even taking a bit of a loss on it the fact you get a 'cheap' FE card kind will counter-balance this.

Soldato
@OP you are correct with your statement that the 3070 out performs the 6700XT

If you 'want it now' go with the 6700 XT even with my apparent over optimistic uplift in performance from a 3070 that's what I'd go for as the cost difference doesn't warrant even my over optimistic values.

Check reviews for the games you regularly play or want to play, as any generalized figure will dumb down any manufacturer sponsored advantage in other games.

At the end of the day - you'd never notice or 'feel' any difference anyway - it's usually just measurable.

So even using my over optimistic perf uplift the extra £150 isn't worth it as the bang/buck would show.

If you prepared to spend £750 on a 6700XT or save for (get a 0% credit card) a £900 3070, you need to be on alerts for FE's

3070 £469
3070ti £529
3080 £649
or as your wallet was already streching to £900+ for the 3070

3080ti £1049 which is near as makes no difference to a 3090 game perf wise but 12GB ram difference.

As hangtime says - get a 6700 XT now and then sell it when you score any of those FE cards. Though there is a bit of luck involved. Plenty here have managed it.

Good luck mate.

Caporegime
Oh those mythical - sold in under 10 seconds FE cards
The situation is/was the same for the MBA cards in Germany when I last looked. In fact it was worse. You had to use scripts to add the product to your cart and checkout before the AMD page ever showed the product as being in stock. This was possible because the stock dropped at the same time and it was always on Thursday.

On Discord this was referred to as "Donderday" or something daft :p

Of course in the UK AMD does not even offer a chance to buy direct.

So in all aspects AMD's showing is worse, and yet you have a dig at nV for their FE drops which are easier to get than AMD's MBA cards.

Right on, then.

Associate
OP
@OP you are correct with your statement that the 3070 out performs the 6700XT

If you 'want it now' go with the 6700 XT even with my apparent over optimistic uplift in performance from a 3070 that's what I'd go for as the cost difference doesn't warrant even my over optimistic values.

Check reviews for the games you regularly play or want to play, as any generalized figure will dumb down any manufacturer sponsored advantage in other games.

At the end of the day - you'd never notice or 'feel' any difference anyway - it's usually just measurable.

So even using my over optimistic perf uplift the extra £150 isn't worth it as the bang/buck would show.

If you prepared to spend £750 on a 6700XT or save for (get a 0% credit card) a £900 3070, you need to be on alerts for FE's

3070 £469
3070ti £529
3080 £649
or as your wallet was already streching to £900+ for the 3070

3080ti £1049 which is near as makes no difference to a 3090 game perf wise but 12GB ram difference.

As hangtime says - get a 6700 XT now and then sell it when you score any of those FE cards. Though there is a bit of luck involved. Plenty here have managed it.

Good luck mate.

Yeah, this seems to me the best course of action since the 6700XT should, at the current market, hold it's value if I do score any of the FR cards you listed above. And if not, at least I'll be enjoying some 2K gaming at useable framerates which is more than I can say for my current situation.

Soldato
The performance delta can rise higher than 2x in games with RTX (eg in Cyberpunk at 1080p the 6700xt will struggle to hold 30 fps but a 3070 can do >60 fps without breaking a sweat) so while the low vram on the 3070 sucks the card overall is more than worth the price difference, and I say that as an RX6800 owner. It ultimately comes down to what games you play, as always, but I would 100% pay £150 extra for the Nvidia features.

Associate
Actually I have the ti but I haven't even pushed it to its extreme yet. I think the most intense games I have played are GTA V Fallout 4/New Vegas and the Outer Worlds.
I do want to try FS2020 when that drops but so far im happy with it and 8GB is plenty for me.

Soldato
The situation is/was the same for the MBA cards in Germany when I last looked. In fact it was worse. You had to use scripts to add the product to your cart and checkout before the AMD page ever showed the product as being in stock. This was possible because the stock dropped at the same time and it was always on Thursday.

On Discord this was referred to as "Donderday" or something daft :p

Of course in the UK AMD does not even offer a chance to buy direct.

So in all aspects AMD's showing is worse, and yet you have a dig at nV for their FE drops which are easier to get than AMD's MBA cards.

Right on, then.

You cant buy an AMD drop in the uk ever so your comparison is useless

Caporegime
You cant buy an AMD drop in the uk ever so your comparison is useless
That's exactly the point. You were complaining about "mythical FE drops" but AMD's situation is worse.

It doesn't make sense to attack nV's FE drops when your beloved AMD has a worse showing. But you do you.

Associate
I have a 6700 XT in the house (son’s PC) and a 3070 TI FE. The 6700 XT is a fantastic bit of kit. I paid £750 in May. Stupid price but I sold a 1660 Ti and recouped about half, and it has had 6+ months of massive use. Great card. Slower in RT, but my son doesn’t play any RT games (I do!).

Why not save yourself £300 and buy a 6600 or 6600 XT and then sell it and upgrade in 18 months. You will get maybe 50% for it, so £200-250 cost to get 18 months of use, until prices stabilise.

Associate
OP
I have a 6700 XT in the house (son’s PC) and a 3070 TI FE. The 6700 XT is a fantastic bit of kit. I paid £750 in May. Stupid price but I sold a 1660 Ti and recouped about half, and it has had 6+ months of massive use. Great card. Slower in RT, but my son doesn’t play any RT games (I do!).

Why not save yourself £300 and buy a 6600 or 6600 XT and then sell it and upgrade in 18 months. You will get maybe 50% for it, so £200-250 cost to get 18 months of use, until prices stabilise.

I did consider the 6600XT or the 3060/Ti, but from my understanding those cards are geared more to 1080p gaming, whereas the 6700XT/3070 is more focussed to 2k which my future monitor purchase will be so wanted to give myself that headroom. I guess that begs the question of whether I should maybe stick with 1080p 24" monitor and go for the lower end card. But then, since I don't plan on upgrading again for at least 3-4 years until their is a major performance spike, I'll try to get the best card I can now that doesn't make me cry at night at the price for too long

Caporegime
No its not worse its exactly the same. Get off your knees in front of Jenson and the real world
Why exactly am I on my knees to anyone?

At the time I bought, I had a choice between a £380 3060Ti or a ~£900 6700XT.

I made a fairly rational decision to go with the former. I will also say that prior to this my last 3 GPUs were AMD.

Spin it however you like, FEs are real and people are buying them. Those that do are getting better value for money than any AMD card in the UK, period.

Associate
Spin it however you like, FEs are real and people are buying them. Those that do are getting better value for money than any AMD card in the UK, period.

They are very real. But I did wonder at the start of the year whether the AMD equivalent of the FE drops would start to happen, because it was potentially a way to get a card. But AMD has clearly shown they're not interested in the UK market. You can say Brexit is to blame, and I'm a remainer. But if AMD had been really bothered about supplying the UK market, they're not a small company they still could have worked through that.

But they didn't.

Soldato
The performance delta can rise higher than 2x in games with RTX (eg in Cyberpunk at 1080p the 6700xt will struggle to hold 30 fps but a 3070 can do >60 fps without breaking a sweat) so while the low vram on the 3070 sucks the card overall is more than worth the price difference, and I say that as an RX6800 owner. It ultimately comes down to what games you play, as always, but I would 100% pay £150 extra for the Nvidia features.

Poneros spitting spitballs of truth!

Thanks for your view and honesty.

Someone gonna need a lie down.

hand rub & popcorn :cry:

Back
Top Bottom