US: Star Trek: Discovery

Associate
Is there no way to watch this in 4k?

streaming 4k outside of US, is only possible by using vpn and then you need pay for paramount+, it will be on pluto tv but will either be SD or HD quality and paramount+ is coming to the uk sometime in march. only other way to watch in 4k
is to find and download the 4k version of it, then stream it from your pc to your 4k TV

JRS

JRS

Soldato
4x03 - Choose To Live

1) The episode title is a Qowat Milat saying/pre-mortem one liner favoured by Elnor in STP. Just FYI.
2) "Previously on..."
3) Another new (I think?) starship design, the USS Credence. Not what you'd call 'pretty'.
4) And the dilithium shipping mission goes south in an instant as space ninjas (presumably Qowat Milat given the title) beam in.
5) Commander seems to have almost been prepared for it.
6) Or just quick to react.
7) Neck pinch?
8) Seems to be confirmation of 4)
9) Goodbye Commander Fickett. We hardly knew ye.
10) Vance briefing Burnham.
11) 4th such theft, first time that they've killed someone.
12) Exposition.
13) Gabrielle Burnham joining the meeting. Doesn't bode well for this episode being any good :(
14) More exposition.
15) Jurisdiction friction.
16) The President smoothing things over.
17) Already bored.
18) El Prez impressing upon Burnham the importance of the mission. So how do we think Bonehead is going to screw things up this week?
19) A shorter episode intro before the credits this time.
20) Episode screeches to a halt while they attempt some cutesy dialogue between Saru and Tilly.
21) Not a bad line from Saru there though. "What is it you hope to gain from novelty?"
22) Meanwhile in Engineering...
23) Witless dialogue between Burnham and Book.
24) Stamets' new theory - primordial wormhole.
25) Except no evidence of tachyons.
26) Scene took a noticeable step up in quality once Burnham ****** off.
27) Rapp and Ajala really aren't bad at this acting lark when the material is vaguely workable.
28) Now for the C Plot of the episode - getting Gray a body.
29) Arrival of Xi via hologram, one of the Trill guardians from last season.
30) Trying to keep expectations realistic.
31) Gray also realistic about the risks.
32) Saru and Burnham walk-and-talk.
33) And Saru pushing for Tilly to go along.
34) This week, on "Star Trek: Tilly Gushes Inappropriately To Another Character"...
35) Cute moment of 'absolute candour'.
36) Segueing into witless dialogue between Burnham and her mommy.
37) Genuinely bored senseless.
38) Counting down to action scene in three, two...
39) Called it.
40) And here's the villain of the piece, J’Vini, beaming in after the fight is over.
41) "I didn't want more blood to be spilled". Which is presumably why you sent people in with swords, eh? :rolleyes:
42) Off they go to do something stupid then.
43) Back with the Trill plotline.
44) Adira freaking out at the thought of this not working.
45) Culber Does Counselling.
46) Once more with the Burnhams and Tilly.
47) This week, on "Star Trek: Pacing Issues"...
48) Tilly thinks they've found J'Vini's lost cause.
49) Gabrielle shutting that down, leading to Yet Another Witless Argument between the Burnhams.
50) Bored. Bored. Bored.
51) "That's no moon..."
52) And now the B Plot has a chance to breathe, as we head to Ni'Var.
53) Expositive technobabble from Stamets.
54) Ni'Var Pres counselling Book.
55) All too quickly back with the Burnham plot.
56) Seems to me like Tilly was right back at 48).
57) And all she wins for that is to be the bait in Burnham's plan. Poor lass.
58) Culber still counselling Adira.
59) And now conferring with Saru.
60) Appropriate emotional weight, for once, with Adira and the unconscious/unincorporated Gray.
61) Haven't had a Qowat Milat sword fight for a while, best have another.
62) Bored.
63) Witless dialogue.
64) Exposition.
65) Exposition continues.
66) Still with the exposition.
67) Meanwhile on Ni'Var.
68) Book going to have to relive the destruction of his planet in a mind meld.
69) Gets a :) because it doesn't coincide with a Burnham scene.
70) Appropriate emotional weight again.
71) Burnham fixes the Abronian cryopods because she's the hero :rolleyes:
72) A spot more Qowat Milat mysticism.
73) The Abronians from the moonship head for their new home.
74) Gabrielle and Tilly expositing.
75) Witless dialogue between the Burnhams.
76) J'Vini getting extradited to Ni'Var.
77) Fed Pres going with the greater good.
78) Vance with some decent lines here.
79) Tilly checking in with Saru.
80) Brain activity just kicked up with Gray.
81) This week, on "Star Trek: Wholesome Family Moments"...
82) Book with a holo of Kwejian in his quarters.
83) The beginnings of healing, then.

Once again, bits of this episode almost worked. Unfortunately, the A Plot with the Burnhams was emphatically not one of those bits.

The other plot strands of the episode were much better though, IMO. The scenes on Ni'Var with Stamets and Book had some very good things going on. Stamets now unfortunately finds himself with a theory about the nature of the anomaly that's not borne out by the facts, and feels guilty that Book had to relive the memory of Kwejian being destroyed to figure that out. Book assuring him that "it wasn't for nothing" is a heart-warming moment. He's not over his grief by any means, but he's starting to be able to deal with it healthily. Good stuff from Tony Rapp and David Ajala (and Tara Rosling as Ni'Var President T'Rina, TBH). It was a pity that the episode couldn't spend more time on this plot - it would have been nice to see the Vulcan scientists actually working on what the anomaly is rather than just shooting down Stamets' theory. Still, we were never going to get answers in Episode 3.

The Trill scenes, with the effort to reincorporate Gray into a synthetic body, kinda worked too. The reappearance of Xi was a nice "hooray for continuity!" moment. Blu del Barrio playing Adira with an appropriate level of panic when it looks like things haven't worked. Wilson Cruz continues to shine as Culber. I can see this plot dividing opinion (because oh noes, the LGBTQ+ agenda!!!111one :p), but I didn't particularly mind it.

As for the A Plot, annoyances abound. The resolution felt unsatisfactory on many levels which I think is maybe what the writer intended - it mirrors Burnham's clear dissatisfaction with the deal. But it could still have done with not feeling quite so...trite. J'Vini murdered a Starfleet officer. Her actions led to several other deaths. And she gets to go back to Ni'Var to face an uncertain amount of justice just because the Abronians were saved? With all the time that the episode spent on this plot, it could and should have been resolved with a bit more weight than it was. SMG and Sonja Sohn both utterly murdered the material that the writer handed them, which didn't really help matters. Hopefully that's Gabrielle out of the way again for a bit. And the resolution to the actual problem (the cryostasis pods not bringing the Abronians out of sleep) got fixed a bit too easily for me. Chalk one up for Michael Burnham, Galactic Hero, Famed In Song And Story™ I guess...

On a brighter note, Doug Jones continues to impress as Saru. Oded Fehr got a bit more to say as Vance this week, which was enjoyable. And Chelah Horsdal continues to be good as Federation President Rillak - she's a lot more willing to compromise in the pursuit of the greater good (rebuilding the Federation) than Burnham is, which makes for a neat contrast.

But...man. When the whole A Plot of an episode makes you want to throw things...

Soldato
Lgbqxyz couple - I don't care about them and they slow every episodes pace.

Fat, bumbling Tilley - looks so out of place.

Burnham - more whispering speeches.

I'm only half way through the episode :(

Soldato
Episode finished.

I'll keep watching, but really did not enjoy this episode. Some great potential and beautiful scenery and effects, but the dross side stories are not interesting in the slightest.

Soldato
Lgbqxyz couple - I don't care about them and they slow every episodes pace.

Fat, bumbling Tilley - looks so out of place.

Burnham - more whispering speeches.

I'm only half way through the episode :(
Leave Tilly alone. She is the only thing I've been enjoying about the recent episodes. But then I do love a redhead. :D

Soldato
Ha! I don't know why they made her the only fat one on the ship and a stuttering wreck.

If she gets skinny and looks like the rest of the crew, does she suddenly become super confident.

The casting just seems totally out of whack.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
4x04 - All Is Possible

1) Before I start - I normally don't read the episode descriptions before watching, but I did this week. "Tilly and Adira lead a team of Starfleet Academy cadets on a training mission that takes a dangerous turn. Meanwhile, Burnham is pulled into tense negotiations on Ni'Var." I am filled with no confidence at all in this episode being even vaguely alright.
2) "Previously on..." :rolleyes:
3) SMG murders narration of Captain's Log. No surprise there.
4) *strangled screaming*
5) A conveniently-timed illness for Vance so now Burnham gets to be the representative between Federation and Ni'Var? Either that was the best the writers could do, or something else is going on.
6) But since all she has to do is stay quiet she can't screw things up. Right? Right???
7) Culber counselling Tilly.
8) Who wants to change her career path.
9) Vague approximation of cute scene between Adira and Gray.
10) They roped Cronenberg back into this arse gravy :(
11) Bored. Bored. Bored.
12) Tilly exposition for the mission briefing.
13) In all her Tillyness.
14) *more strangled screaming*
15) *all the strangled screaming*
16) In case you couldn't tell, I'm not really enjoying myself here.
17) Here comes the plot.
18) While the theme drones on, I shall briefly entertain the idea of killing myself.
19) Episode bodycount: 01.
20) Sadly, his death is utterly in vain as we've been given no reason to care.
21) The gamma ray burst (*sigh*) has sent them crashing onto a different moon/planetoid than the one they were aiming for. Predictably.
22) Orion dude asking if this is a sim. Because the writers are hacks and love to mine every trope in existence.
23) And now a spot of interpersonal conflict. Because writers, hacks, tropes.
24) If they wanted us to even possibly care about the guy who died, these intros should have been before that.
25) Meanwhile, on Ni'Var.
26) Prez Rillak talking about how Ni'Var joining the Federation is a done deal. Episode isn't halfway through yet, so I somehow doubt that.
27) T'Rina with the bombshell.
28) Trek As Social Commentary.
29) So much for Burnham keeping her trap shut.
30) Here comes the other plot.
31) Culber counselling Book.
32) A scene that almost worked. Wonders never cease.
33) Saru putting some feelers out with T'Rina.
34) Who is quite obviously hiding something.
35) Rillak doing everything but outright saying "help us Michael Burnham, you're our only hope" :rolleyes:
36) Confirmation from 5) then that Vance's illness was made up.
37) Back in cadet country.
38) The hopeless situation remains hopeless.
39) A spot more interpersonal conflict.
40) There be lifeforms here.
41) ShakyCam™.
42) With a jump scare for good measure.
43) Exposition.
44) Boredom.
45) Culber continues to counsel Book.
46) Some lovely work from David Ajala, really.
47) Saru meeting with T'Rina again.
48) Trek As Social Commentary some more.
49) God, it's a frustrating show this. You get these little moments where the acting is great, the dialogue doesn't make you want to retch and you think it's actually showing promise...
50) ...and then Burnham shows up again.
51) Meanwhile on the ice moon.
52) My local pub has a dog named Tilly. She's a labradoodle of sorts, basically looks like a small labrador with a poodle-ish coat. It's funny, when she gets her coat cut back in summer it removes all traces of poodle from her look and just makes her look like a young pure labrador. She's possibly the nicest natured pub dog I've ever come across. Ever so gentle when taking food or treats - with the landlady's permission - from you.
53) I only mention her because talking about her is at least 348.2% more interesting than what's going on in this episode right now.
54) There's a bunch of shouting and encouragement and I'm sure the writers intended this to be exciting. But it really isn't.
55) Trek As Social Commentary, again.
56) Tilly being Tilly.
57) Back to Ni'Var.
58) Witless dialogue from Burnham.
59) Who proposes herself as the solution.
60) Because she's Michael Burnham, Galactic Hero, Famed In Song And Story™ :rolleyes:
61) I think I'd very much like everyone involved in running this show to **** right off.
62) Tilly pulling a Burnham and doing the hero thing.
63) The first JJTrek film did the 'monster chases the character on the ice world' thing already.
64) Cadets, Tilly and Adira rescued at last second. No tropes left untouched.
65) A spot more Cronenberg.
66) Witless dialogue.
67) More witless dialogue.
68) This is all stupid and terrible and I hate it.
69) :rolleyes:
70) Ni'Var joins the Federation.
71) Episode walks into itself with an audible clunk as T'Rina is revealed to be the one who gave Rillak a heads-up that the exit clause rubbish was coming. Yet Another Plot Non-Twist™, brought to you by the moment at 34).
72) God am I glad this episode is nearly over.
73) Culber continues to counsel Book some more.
74) Book opens the door to counselling Culber.
75) Witless dialogue between Burnham and Tilly.
76) Well, it's alternating between witless and vaguely okay.
77) Title drop.
78) Tilly off to the Academy.

That mostly sucked.

Soldato
I was mostly bored with that episode. Nothing remotely interesting or fun.

Especially when the opening 5 or so minutes was all about mental health and relationships. Dear God, yes we know people need to talk and seek help, but I don't want a sci-fi show to keep banging me on the head about it. That's not why we watch this once great show.

Tilly obviously written out for a while as the actress is heavily pregnant and they were really struggling to hide it.

That's not why we watch this once great show.

This show was never, ever great. It was terrible from the pilot until now. I think you are confusing this pile of rotting excrement for TNG etc. Those are VERY different programmes made by completely different people. They are the same in partial name only.

Soldato
Boring episode and yet again Burnham is the only one who can save *insert here*. On this occasion bringing the Ni'Var and the Federation together. No whispering speeches/condescending this week which was a big +. I don't always want space battles, some of the best episodes of TNG were Picard being authoritative and bringing diplomatic solutions etc, but this episode was just pants.

Glad Tilly has gone for awhile - i lol'd when she said she will 'run' and distract the ice monster - 3 seconds later and she's on her ass! Honestly i'm not being fattest, it's just she looks so out of place compared to the rest of the whole galaxy!

Looks like Saru is going to be getting his leg over soon too :)

Soldato
The Adira/Gray story also seems like a woke tick box exercise. I don't mind Adira, but Gray is a totally non-character which grinds every episode to a halt when he/she/it is on screen.

Associate
I take it that there is no way to watch this here without paying for Paramount+ and then using a VPN to access it? Any indication it'll be coming to a UK service any time soon?

Back
Top Bottom