Oil boilers being fazed out

Soldato
Only just read this - It seems oil boilers are being fazed out from 2026 - I knew about gas boilers but oil has never been mentioned -Well I haven't seen it untill today.

Better order a new one and store it as well as another two 2.5k Ltr oil tanks.

Bloody greenies

Man of Honour
I believe it is still in the proposal stage but they want to make a "heat pump first" policy for off the gas grid boiler replacements from 2026... I don't think people involved in that idea have spent much time living around where I do :s the implications would be huge unless things change dramatically over the next 5 years.

People around here don't exactly use oil fired boilers out of choice and quite a few probably can't even afford the cost of a heat pump replacement (as it won't be trivial) as for some reason people like to retire here despite it being out the way of services and amenities.

Soldato
OP
In all the 47 yrs of being married we have only had about 4 yrs of gas heating and cooking all the rest has been oil and electric.
From what i see is that I need to replace my 11 yr old Worcester/Bosch rubbish oil boiler with a new one in 2023/4/5 ish and hope that oil is still available at a reasonable price - There again I might not give a poo as by then I could be 80 or gone.
I hate greenies and Boris the buffoon and his ****.

Soldato
I'm sure if you ask the thousands of people currently without any electric after the storm they'll have some strong opinions on the subject of all electric heating.

Associate
I think a new oil boiler would be a good idea in a few years (ours is over 12 years old and not the most efficient), but then what? I doubt it would last the 30 or more years we're planning on staying here.

The survey I had recently about installing a GSHP and the estimated £40k install (as UFH would be required as well) with it's mediocre performance was a total deterrent.

The governments shift to electric heating and electric cars is at odds with the increasing price of electricity and it's vulnerability as seen with the recent storms. Add the fact that the current infrastructure can barely cope as it is, how will it cope with the additional power demand of homes and cars?

Man of Honour
I'm sure if you ask the thousands of people currently without any electric after the storm they'll have some strong opinions on the subject of all electric heating.

Our oil boiler doesn't work without electricity either :( though in a serious enough situation I could rig it up to emergency power.

Soldato
We are on oil fired heating, there is no piped gas here.

Our house is not up to an ASHP, they only work on really well insulted houses.

I'm all for going green, we need to, but the government need to take the initiative by providing a viable alternative, not a very expensive to install poorly performing alternative that will be more expensive to run.

Soldato
We are on oil fired heating, there is no piped gas here.

Our house is not up to an ASHP, they only work on really well insulted houses.

I'm all for going green, we need to, but the government need to take the initiative by providing a viable alternative, not a very expensive to install poorly performing alternative that will be more expensive to run.
Ditto
and our oil boiler must be 20+ years old

Soldato
Ditto
and our oil boiler must be 20+ years old

Yup ours is about 20 years old.

On average, we use about £35 of oil a month ish, it's less than £45 a month as that's the direct debit and we are constantly building credit. No way an ASHP will compete with that on running costs for the same output.

The other thing with oil is if you are a bit savvy keep an eye on oil prices and fill your tank atvthe right time of the year.

You have no control over electricity which seems to have shot up recently.

Soldato
We fill up on oil about 2 times a year so around £1200 in total but we have a small wood burner we supplement the heating with in the winter
Generally the oil is on from 7-11 mornings and 4-9:30 afternoon evening
and wood burner in the main room 7am till 9 pm
electric ch would cost way too much and heat pump:eek:
just forget that, i would buy a few extra clothes rather than have to re insulate the house and pay for the equipment

Don
Nor are the meant to. The issue here is moving away from cheap and very dirty fuels.

and reduce reliance on importing gas too :) The market this year has proven why it's nescessary to ditch natural gas in the long term.

We can make as much electricity as we want with renewables (in theory). Natural gas is somewhat limited

Soldato
Recently had our boiler serviced and the chap mentioned that future boilers would be running on Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO)

Biofuel compatibility with Grant boilers
https://www.grantuk.com/about/blog/biofuelheating/
The results
The use of HVO, either at 100% (which results in a reduction in carbon emissions to 0.036kgCO2/kWh) or a percentage blend with kerosene, will allow rural and hard-to-heat homes to transition to a renewable, green alternative from 100% kerosene at an affordable cost and with minimum disruption to their home lives. While heat pumps are a perfect solution for new builds due to the heat loss of these homes now being perfectly matched to accommodate a low temperature heating system, retrofits can be more difficult. Some rural, older properties have a layout, construction and existing heating design which makes them unsuitable for a heat pump unless significant changes are made to the building, changes which can incur additional installation costs.
Biofuels can provide a viable, low carbon solution for older homes using high temperature heating systems, such as an oil boiler, because upgrading to a biofuel compatible boiler can be less expensive and will require minimal changes to the system.

Soldato
OP
Seems like a few of us are in the same boat.
I fill my tank once a year with approx 1200 ltrs (2.5k tank_) when tank is half empty and I rang the other day and it was 47p + vat so it hasn't gone up much.
My outlay now is on logs - used to get them for free or few quid but now I recon I spent £300 + this year to stock up 5 log stores - Not huge log stores but just wasted space behind green house and oil tank.

Also this year I treated myself to generator 3k but I have now found it doesn't have EVR (electric voltage rectifier) so when the other day I finally got it plugged into house mains then LED tubes in garage were flickering.
Turned kitchen breaker on and lights there were flickering.
All mains have been isolated from incoming feed.
So if anyone has had a similar problem with a genny did you fix it.

Associate
They need to lower the price of electric to a point it can replace gas, again they push the onus on switching to lower carbon on the end user without much thought or alternative. Switching from gas can be cost prohibitive especially when every winter we have elderly deciding between heat or eat.
Smart meters are another thing that are mis represented to people, they do not save you money, they do report accurate usage to the company so you only get billed for what you use, and they may well tell you just how much that cup of tea cost you to boil the water, but what do you do with that information? For some just not have that cup of tea then.

Heat pumps, good or bad are being pushed upon us and we will also have th bear the burden of cost, hopefully once take up increases prices will drop due to competition in the market.

Back
Top Bottom