Which nvme external enclosure?

Soldato
Looking to make a fast usb nvme drive for copying stuff like films and system images real quick.
Need good compatibility and heat venting.
Iv seen some orico branded ones which seem decent on price. Some use realtek some use jmicron controller.
Which is good to go for? What options you recommend?

Soldato
Personally, I would exercise caution when buying a Sabrent NVME enclosure. I have a Sabrent ‎EC-TFNE enclosure and find the USB C connector on the drive somewhat fragile. The slightest nudge will disconnect the drive, which is frustrating while I'm transferring files. A couple of reviews show that others also have the same problem.

Soldato
So my RSTECH RSH-329 enclosure turned up today and I've already tested it.

First and foremost, the USB connection is definitely more stable without any question. I can move the enclosure around, turn it, spin it on my desk and it doesn't connect a single time. In fact the transfer didn't even slow down, which might have indicated strain on the cable or connection. My Sabrent would have disconnected just picking it up, let alone anything else!

Secondly, the enclosure is also slightly faster in read speeds. Write speeds drop slightly, but not enough to stop me using this enclosure.

Sabrent drives are good. But their enclosures certainly aren't up to much, at least by my standards anyway. I'd read that the JMicron controller used in the Sabrent wasn't very good and could be intermittent. This is something else that made me try the RSTECH, as it uses the Realtek RTL9210B controller instead.

Soldato
The USB C ones are fine, used a few of the Sabrent ones.

I agree that USB 3 B (micro?) connectors are horrible. The USB C ones are awesome
The Sabrent one I had, and linked to above, is a USB C enclosure. I wouldn't dare nudge it while in use. In contract, I feel that I could probably swing my RSTECH around and it still wouldn't lose connection.

Associate
I have 2 of these,

Sabrent EC-SNVE
and
ORICO M2PJM-C3

both are capable of SATA or NVMe drives, and have an impressive list of compatibilities. The Sabrent is tool-less, the orico isnt, but, the first one of the Sabrents i got, the little rubber stand off that holds the back of the drive in place was split in 2 and not usable, and here's the kicker... that part isn't available from Sabrent, either as a warranty part or a purchasable spare, also the Sabrent is usb 3.2 compatible and only comes a type c to type c cable, the Orico comes with that and a type A to type C cable, and is only usb 3.1 rated, that said both state 10gbps capable.

Both perform very well and as advertised.

EDIT:
can't comment on the fragility mentioned above as i didn't specifically go moving them around to see how they behaved if messed with.

Last edited:
Soldato
A slight update to what I said about the RSTECH RSH-329 previously.

The enclosure itself has fast enough file transfer speeds and the connection is faultless. But I'd noticed that during some large file transfers the files would be corrupted when I copied them back.

As I was copying from my Samsung 970 EVO Plus to the SSD, I first suspected that my OS drive (the Samsung) was failing. But the failures never happened when copying to my hard drive. Ruling out slower speeds being more stable, I copied exactly the same file to my NVME SSD, but using the Sabrent enclosure instead. No corruption. Bingo!

Seems as though this RSTECH enclosure will be returned not long after this post. Which is a shame, as it's solid as a rock - but I shouldn't need to verify files after each transfer.

Associate
Adding some notes here from my NVME-USB enclosure experiences on Linux.

All were stable and worked fine on Linux using the `uas` driver, except for the JMicron controller which frequently dropped-out, a few times while filling a 4TB SSD and a 2TB SSD.
Not sure if that was due to the controller or the design of the connector on thae Sabrent enclosure.

The Sabrent was the only one that made ZFS angry, reporting checksum errors whenever it reappeared after dropping out - suspect this would cause some bad file corruption problems for other filesystems.

PCIe gen4 and gen3 SSDs worked in all of them, strangely the gen4 WD Black ranged from slightly slower to much slower than the gen3 WD Red in some tests, suspect due to the higher power draw but not really sure.

Performance testing was done on a Lenovo Yoga laptop (Tiger Lake i5) and an EPYC Milan, both running Linux 5.16, no appreciable difference in performance or stability between them.

I tried some other WD NVMe SSDs as well, worked fine, but didn't do any more performance testing.

ASUS ROG STRIX Arion (rev 2?)
Controller: ASUSTek unknown (USB: 0b05:1932)
+ Metal case, feels solid and good quality, nice rounded edges.
+ Lots of metal working as a heatsink, 3 thermal pads touching SSD securely, and bridge controller.
+ Hole for carrying strap (included), pretty sturdy.
+ Opens/closes pretty quickly, not too fiddly (as long as you have the special tool).
+ Best read IOPS, almost 50% more than the others.
o RGB that cycles through colours.
o Wider than other enclosures.
o Weird angled connector which might trigger OCD :)
o Not sure if supports SMART - Linux smartctl doesn't support it
- Needs a special tool (exactly like a SIM-card slot tool for a phone) to unlatch the cover which doubles as a screwdriver for the mounting screw.
- Pricey.

Akasa AK-ENU3M2-07
Controller: ASMedia ASM2364 (USB: 174c:2362)
+ Metal case, transfers heat ok.
+ No tools needed, two thumb-screws (but dont loose the plastic USB-C connector cover, otherwise you'll have a hole at the end).
+ Pretty cheap.
o Opens closes easily, but the plastic securing pin for the SSD is fiddly/tight to rotate, feels like it could break, but a spare is included.
- Doesnt support SMART
- Sliding the cover over with heat-pads can be tricky, depending on thickness, dubious heat transfer.
- (picky) Sharp-ish edges/corners on the case

Plugable USBC-NVME
Controller: Realtek RTL9210 (USB: 0bda:9210)
+ Metal case, seems to trasfer heat ok, even without a pad.
+ No tools needed, rubber pin to secure the SSD: can open, replace SSD, and close, in literally under 10 seconds.
+ Cheap! (feels cheap too, but actually works well in practice)
+ Smallest size
+ Supports SMART

Sabrent EC-TFNE
Controller: JMicron JMS583 (USB: 152d:0583)
+ Really nice metal case, feels great - smooth and heavy, fits together well.
+ Tool-less, magnet catch for the SSD, bit fiddly to move for large fingers but seems secure.
+ Supports SMART.
o Kinda pricy
- JMicron JMS583: stability - drops out frequently and needs reconnecting or the host controller resetting.
- USB-C connector is too far recessed, only gets a good connection or even secure enough to work at all with the included cables.

Performance tests
Code:
| SSD                                     | enclosure            | read MB/s | write MB/s | read IOPS | write IOPS |
| --------------------------------------- | -------------------- | --------- | ---------- | --------- | ---------- |
| WD Red SN700 4TB (WDS400T1ROC)          | ASUS ROG STRIX Arion | 991       | 1000       | 43516     | 49643      |
| WD Red SN700 4TB (WDS400T1ROC)          | Akasa AK-ENU3M2-07   | 932       | 1050       | 30742     | 49898      |
| WD Red SN700 4TB (WDS400T1ROC)          | Pluggable            | 850       | 1037       | 27102     | 54450      |
| WD Red SN700 4TB (WDS400T1ROC)          | Sabrent EC-TFNE      | 880       | 1055       | 28239     | 53438      |
| WD Black SN850 2TB (WDS200T1X0E-00AFY0) | ASUS ROG STRIX Arion | 1037      | 903        | 30547     | 49914      |
| WD Black SN850 2TB (WDS200T1X0E-00AFY0) | Akasa AK-ENU3M2-07   | 966       | 958        | 30490     | 49737      |
| WD Black SN850 2TB (WDS200T1X0E-00AFY0) | Pluggable            | 580       | 930        | 27865     | 56231      |
| WD Black SN850 2TB (WDS200T1X0E-00AFY0) | Sabrent EC-TFNE      | 867       | 953        | 30202     | 57516      |

2022-01-13.nvme-usb-enclosures.1.jpg

2022-01-13.nvme-usb-enclosures.2.jpg

Soldato
ASUS ROG STRIX Arion (rev 2?)
Controller: ASUSTek unknown (USB: 0b05:1932)
+ Metal case, feels solid and good quality, nice rounded edges.
+ Lots of metal working as a heatsink, 3 thermal pads touching SSD securely, and bridge controller.
+ Hole for carrying strap (included), pretty sturdy.
+ Opens/closes pretty quickly, not too fiddly (as long as you have the special tool).
+ Best read IOPS, almost 50% more than the others.
o RGB that cycles through colours.
o Wider than other enclosures.
o Weird angled connector which might trigger OCD :)
o Not sure if supports SMART - Linux smartctl doesn't support it
- Needs a special tool (exactly like a SIM-card slot tool for a phone) to unlatch the cover which doubles as a screwdriver for the mounting screw.
- Pricey.
From what you've posted, I'd be interested in more information about this drive, if you don't mind.
  1. Can you disable and/or change the RGB colour cycles? It might look nice at first, but I'm a bit anti-RGB and would perhaps find it distracting. Also, if you make these changes, do they remain with the enclosure when use it on another PC?
  2. When I search a popular competitor, I see two products. But I can't really see what the difference is between them, other than price. These are what I found:
    • ASUS ROG Strix Arion M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure - USB3.2 GEN2 Type-C (10 Gbps), Dual USB-C to C and USB-C to A Cables, Screwdriver-Free, Thermal Pads Included, Fits PCIe 2280/2260/2242/2230 M key/B+M Key
    • ASUS ROG STRIX Arion Aluminum Alloy M.2 NVMe SSD External Portable Enclosure Case Adapter, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (10 Gbps), USB-C to C and USB-C to A Cables, Fits PCIe 2280/2260/2242/2230 M Key/B+M Key
  3. Can you view the SMART data in Windows? In Windows, I can only seem to use CrystalDiskInfo to view SMART data on the Sabrent drive in my Sabrent ‎EC-TFNE enclosure, so perhaps this will work for your Asus enclosure?
Depending on your answers, I might well end up be ordering that Asus enclosure. The only things that put me off are RGB and which one to buy.

Associate
  1. Can you disable and/or change the RGB colour cycles? It might look nice at first, but I'm a bit anti-RGB and would perhaps find it distracting. Also, if you make these changes, do they remain with the enclosure when use it on another PC?

The RGB LEDs on the ASUS ROG Strix Arion can be disabled/controlled by some ASUS software that only runs on Windows (https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042468/), but the settings are not saved to the enclosure.

I installed ASUS Armoury Crate on my laptop and disabled the RGB, everytime I plug the enclosure into that laptop, the enclosure does a 1-2 second of RGB effect then turns off.

If I then plug the enclosure into another machine (either Windows or Linux) then it reverts back to the cycling RGB rainbow effect.

I'm pretty anti-RGB and actually don't find it too distracting because they are not too bright, even considering the number of LEDs :) (4 next to the transparent plastic bit on the led, and another 4 under the diffuser on the logo on the back), but I can see how it would be annoying after a while.

When I search a popular competitor, I see two products. But I can't really see what the difference is between them, other than price.

There's two SKUs, I didn't find out what the difference is:
  • 90DD02H0-M09000
  • 90DD02H0-M09010
Looking at my order from that popular competitor, I assume I have the 90DD02H0-M09000, but I chucked the box already and don't see any number like that on the case/PCB.

Can you view the SMART data in Windows? In Windows, I can only seem to use CrystalDiskInfo to view SMART data on the Sabrent drive in my Sabrent ‎EC-TFNE enclosure, so perhaps this will work for your Asus enclosure?

Yes this seems to work fine. CrystalDiskInfo 8.13.3 in Windows 10 shows features "SMART, TRIM, VolatileWriteCache" for my 4 enclosures, with the standard NVMe attributes and temperature. Looks like the smartctl program in Linux just doesn't recognise the bridge chip.

Back
Top Bottom