Shuck hard drive

Associate
I know I can shuck my hard drive, but it has data on. Can I just take it out of it's enclosure and connect via sata and all will be well?
Depends on which model external you have, there's a possibility it could have hardware encryption in the USB SATA bridge. If it does you'd have to copy the data to another drive, reformat after shucking, then copy the data back.

Associate
pins.png

You can shuck that but you have to cover the first 3 or just the 3rd sata pin with kapton tape to make it work on a pc.

Last edited:
Associate
I had about 10 external drives all at different sizes and made by different brands - WD Element/My Passport/My Book, Samsung One Touch etc.

Whenever i get a new external, i diskpart it as i don't need the bloatware which comes with it.. specifically the encryption or backup utilities.

Luckily all WD drives worked out the box when i attached them to my DAS.. none needed the SATA pin sealed. (i guess WD partitions as GPT by default)

All the Samsung drives use Seagate internal disks... i assume Samsung bought out Seagate.. unfortunately after cleaning them, i don't check what partitions are created and so 5 of mine were using MBR... meaning i had to use the external enclosure adapters to pull data off it, clean the drive and repartition as GPT before they would work without the adapters. Any drive configured as MBR won't work, as i get prompted to format the drive upon plugging in. Changing the connection to an adapter let me access it straight away.

I know there are utilities out there where you can repartition drives without data loss.. but none which are open source and i don't want to pay.

Associate
WD are a pain in the ar** for this, they are the only one i know of that screw around like this, even the drives in my WD MyBook Duo are useless outside of the box, and this is one that's specifically designed for users to swap drives in, never had an issue with Seagates in this regard.

2.5" drives are a different matter as they sometimes have propitiatory connection methods for the sata/usb bridge, sometimes with it being hard soldered to the drive circuit board

Back
Top Bottom