The UK isn't what it's made out to be

Associate
I'm a little anxious about posting this as it may seem like a provocative and / or obvious post but it is intended as genuine and is subtle in its message. I'm not trying to have a go at the UK or anyones way of life.

It is possible to have a great, happy and well rounded life in the UK - many people do. However, while being brought up in the UK, without knowing it I was very subtly indoctrinated with the idea that the UK is the best option for living and other countries were for holidays or had something wrong with them. This message was never explicit and I think is left over from the empire days.

Having lived in a southern Mediterranean country for over a year now (where the number of times it has rained is almost countable on one hand). I now realise (for me) the UK can be an over priced, hyped, dreary and miserable place to live.

I lived with a mix of good countryside and Zone 1 London for the past 10 years I lived in the UK. I worked in tech with a healthy salary and some good people around me including friends and family so it's not like I had poor living conditions etc.

All this to say, keep in mind there are a million ways to live your life. Working until your 70 in the cold and wet is only a small percentage of the viable ways! There are economically viable ways of a more fulfilling life. FYI!

All the best!

Soldato
I do kind of agree but from the sounds of it you have done well enough to live in the nice places of the South Med, the poorer people originally from those places who have a different experience growing up there will probably think a lot differently.

Soldato
I do often think how much more I'd enjoy living in the UK if the weather was in general not so crap. Freezing foggy mornings like this don't help. Nor do huge heating bills.

Soldato
I think its ok. I like how we don't talk to each other much and when we do its all fake ******** where everything is "not bad mate, you?"

I don't think I could live somewhere where I don't speak the language and I'm much too lazy to learn another so I think the UK pretty high in the ideal locations to live for me personally.

Good on you for improving your life though.

Man of Honour
I used to love the UK. As a younger person it was a fantastic place to live. Maybe it's because life here has changed. Or maybe it's because I've changed as I got older and want differerent things. Most likely it is a bit of both. But I don't want to live here anymore. That said, I think it's a great place for most people. The UK still has a huge amount to offer (we can see that by the fact many people risk their lives to get here).

Don
Youth unemployment rate in most Mediterranean countries is hovering at around 30% unemployment (3x higher than the UK).

Overall unemployment is also 4-5x higher than the UK.

Yeah, no thanks.

Man of Honour
Everywhere I visit, including the Southern Med, I wouldn't want to live there, great for two weeks though.
I do often think about selling up and buying a villa somewhere warmer, I can easily afford but I've just watched my mate and his wife move to Southern Spain and they daren't leave the Country.
They now have 4 kids and 8 grand kids who they haven't seen for two years and the only contact is Facetime or similar.
Personally if my kids weren't in touching distance it would kill me.

Funnily enough I have another friend close to my age who moved to Greece with her husband and they have no family but were back within a year and bought a property in Cornwall.

Associate
OP
I do kind of agree but from the sounds of it you have done well enough to live in the nice places of the South Med, the poorer people originally from those places who have a different experience growing up there will probably think a lot differently.

I'm sure being wealthy in the Med is nice, being a poverty stricken local probably not so much.

Basically this.

The med does sound quite appealing right now, though.

I can't speak for everyone in all countries / walks of life but my anecdotal experience is that the poorer people are the warmest and most welcoming. I travel in the real middle of nowhere countryside often for sports and speak to these people. I go to the villages where there is literally only a bar. People are super nice and smile a lot, even when they only have three teeth...

Man of Honour
I can't speak for everyone in all countries / walks of life but my anecdotal experience is that the poorer people are the warmest and most welcoming. I travel in the real middle of nowhere countryside often for sports and speak to these people. I go to the villages where there is literally only a bar. People are super nice and smile a lot, even when they only have three teeth...

I've walked into very poor villages in Nigeria, back streets of Luxor etc and people have pulled you over for drinks and a chat but no way would I live there.
It's also why Northerners are very warm to people, we ain't got much except being nice but look at some the wrong way and you could be in an ambulance.

Without specifics we can't really comment, not only that but you're OK until you're not and then it gets tricky.

100% this.
Just remembered another two who lived in Mazarron and couldn't wait to get back and one who lived an hour outside Benidorm in a beautiful village.
"you're OK until you're not" sums it up.

Caporegime
You lived in London? Or all of the UK?

Lived in the med for four years, has its advantages as does the UK. The UK is an awesome country to live in, so many opportunities and an incredible amount of things to do.

Associate
I think what he means to say is that being middle class where he lives now, is better than being middle class in the UK.

Anecdotally, I agree. But, if for some reason I had to move back to the UK, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Back
Top Bottom