Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
Thanks for the explanation but I'm still confused. If I understand correctly you can't just have one of these on one rad in the house because when that one TRV calls for heat it will heat the other rads with dumb TRVs with it. You would have to have them fitted to every radiator in the house to keep the others rads from heating if you only wanted to heat for example an office room radiator during the the day?
Fitting a smart TRV doesn't suddenly stop the normal TRVs from working exactly as they did before.

It just means that every radiator with a smart TRV can be individually controlled via scheduling and geofencing, meaning you can automatically allocate less heating energy to rooms you don't need to be warm at a given point, rather than having to go round and turn them off manually.

Soldato
Fitting a smart TRV doesn't suddenly stop the normal TRVs from working exactly as they did before.

It just means that every radiator with a smart TRV can be individually controlled via scheduling and geofencing, meaning you can automatically allocate less heating energy to rooms you don't need to be warm at a given point, rather than having to go round and turn them off manually.
The other perk of a smart TRV being that they can ask the boiler to come on when a specific room drops temp.

Caporegime
Unless the pump in the boiler is inverter driven and compensates for the lack of flow, heating only one radiator on a home circuit can cause a lot of additional strain.

Soldato
Thanks for the explanation but I'm still confused. If I understand correctly you can't just have one of these on one rad in the house because when that one TRV calls for heat it will heat the other rads with dumb TRVs with it. You would have to have them fitted to every radiator in the house to keep the others rads from heating if you only wanted to heat for example an office room radiator during the the day?
What you may not have clicked is that the central heating water feed goes to all(*) radiators individually, they're not a series loop one after the other. The pipes go past each radiator and split off a little branch for each one.

So yes you have one TRV (or just a manual valve) per radiator to control the flow through each. They work by limiting how much hot water they take in, and letting the rest bypass them.

Edit: a TRV is a valve, not a smart signal that calls the boiler.

Soldato
jireujs.jpeg

First hardback purchase in a very long time but can't wait for the paperback, hope we get a decent conclusion. As for why didn't I go for a digital version, I only have chance to read at work while on breaks and had to get a physical copy.

Also the only way for quite some time to discover the ending with season 6 being the 'final season' on Amazon.

Permabanned
What you may not have clicked is that the central heating water feed goes to all(*) radiators individually, they're not a series loop one after the other. The pipes go past each radiator and split off a little branch for each one.

So yes you have one TRV (or just a manual valve) per radiator to control the flow through each. They work by limiting how much hot water they take in, and letting the rest bypass them.

Yes, quite think of the whole radiator circuit as a capital letter H. The vertical legs of the H are the feed and return pipes to the boiler, the horizontals are the radiators. Each horizontal has a radiator and valve in it. So the radiators are arranged in parallel, not in series.

Caporegime

For clarity a Tado smart TRV does call the boiler directly.

Man of Honour
I also want something similar for outside, the one above doesn't have the greatest reviews but I can't see the comments..
To be fair most of them are the typical 'bought and and can't fit it so I'll leave it 1 star' type reviews. But it's the IP rating that concerns me. I'm wondering whether to pay an electrician to install proper lighting that I know I won't have to touch (except bulbs) or try and do it on the cheap... and potentially have to pay for it again in a year or so.

Caporegime
For clarity a Tado smart TRV does call the boiler directly.

Does it have a Tado thermostat as well? What's the interface between the TRVs and the boiler?

This whole system seems fantastic if I'm understanding it correctly, it's just a shame it's been brought to market just as gas boilers are being outlawed.

Back
Top Bottom