The UK isn't what it's made out to be

Caporegime
The UK is going to dog toffee. You see the likes of European cities, Paris, Berlin and it's full of illegals - either begging, scamming, raping, murdering etc. I was in Paris recently and i was shocked to see how bad it was.

It is only a matter of time before the UK becomes the same - as the Govt aren't doing much to prevent this.

My local town is now the murder capital of the UK - yey!

London? Says 130 here in 2020

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288221/number-of-homicides-uk-by-region/

I am not sure you can blame illegals...because if you take Japan, a country that is FAMOUS for having like 98.5% of the population to be native Japanese. They have 929 murder cases in 2020. Sure Tokyo is larger, but even if you scale it per capita, it's still higher than London.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1039166/japan-number-of-murders/

Man of Honour
Life is a layer cake, always has been and always will be I'm afraid until we crash the system or have a global war, but it will be built back to another layer cake.

Soldato
London? Says 130 here in 2020

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288221/number-of-homicides-uk-by-region/

I am not sure you can blame illegals...because if you take Japan, a country that is FAMOUS for having like 98.5% of the population to be native Japanese. They have 929 murder cases in 2020. Sure Tokyo is larger, but even if you scale it per capita, it's still higher than London.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1039166/japan-number-of-murders/

Boston, Lincs.

There are more issues with the UK than illegals, yes. But family who live in Dover, women dare not go out at night alone for fear - when i was there Dover was great, now it's a dump.

Same as my local town, was beautiful, but now the likes of Debenhams are replaced by Pound shops, property prices have fell sharply and like i say, rapes and murders - unheard of several years ago.

Soldato
Easier to just move.

Disagree - the planet is over populated, moving does not solve the issue.

If we could find a way for countries to be at peace, for those hot and sandy countries to be productive/self-sufficient, for officials to stop lining their own pockets etc then we may not have as much displacement.

So as that will never happen, easiest option is a reboot :)

Soldato
The UK climate for me is perfect. Not too hot and not too cold. Most people outside of cities are nice. There's loads of stuff going on when no pandemic.

Only other place I'd consider is Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium or Sweden.

Also, only if I had the money to, and I'm crap at languages so would be isolating.

Caporegime
Disagree - the planet is over populated, moving does not solve the issue.

If we could find a way for countries to be at peace, for those hot and sandy countries to be productive/self-sufficient, for officials to stop lining their own pockets etc then we may not have as much displacement.

So as that will never happen, easiest option is a reboot :)

Have you seen how much space there is in Australia?

Just move there.

In Japan there are places where they are giving away houses due to the declining local population. Of course you need to be Japanese...but it's not over populated everywhere.

Question, have you ever lived outside the UK or travelled much?

Soldato
Have you seen how much space there is in Australia?

Just move there.

In Japan there are places where they are giving away houses due to the declining local population. Of course you need to be Japanese...but it's not over populated everywhere.

Question, have you ever lived outside the UK or travelled much?

Australia have much more stringent entry rules, something the UK does not. As i say, i don't think moving is the answer, something needs to be done to prevent further decline.

I've travelled Europe extensively with work (and a few other places) and holidayed further.

Caporegime
Australia have much more stringent entry rules, something the UK does not. As i say, i don't think moving is the answer, something needs to be done to prevent further decline.

I've travelled Europe extensively with work (and a few other places) and holidayed further.

The paperwork to move to Australia or anywhere is easier than what you are proposing. Actually, it's quite difficult to get to stay in the UK, even before Brexit, from someone who isn't from the EU.

I am not talking about travelled, but actually lived, like had to pay bills and see local doctors.

Soldato
Nope.

Extended stays, but only up to 6 months.

I love the UK, i just see it going down the toilet from what it once was.

The paperwork to move to Australia or anywhere is easier than what you are proposing. Actually, it's quite difficult to get to stay in the UK, even before Brexit, from someone who isn't from the EU.

So you're doing the correct process, what about those that don't bother?

Caporegime
Nope.

Extended stays, but only up to 6 months.

I love the UK, i just see it going down the toilet from what it once was.

So you're doing the correct process, what about those that don't bother?

What do you suggest doing? do a bit of target practice in the English Channel?

Really, illegals are not the problem, there might be pockets here and there, they get the headlines because it get clicks and sell paper. If you look at the wider stats or prison population I can guarantee most of them who commit crime are UK born and bred.

If you are here illegally you want to keep a low profile, stay out of the radar. Going out murdering people is the quickest way to get locked up or deported.

Soldato
I live in Manchester, and I don't think I'd want to live anywhere else in the UK, maybe a bit further up the hills on the outskirts, but it's probably one of the best areas to live, an up and coming city and around 20 minutes by bicycle to amazingg scenery.

But that's it I feel the cost of living is insane, expenses (bills/rent) increasing quicker than wages closing that MDI gap.

People as well, just feels we're an ever increasing hostile nation.

I'm a cyclists too, country is horrendous for cycling , the hate is ever increasing, people hate on cyclists just because other people do, sheeple, total sheeple.

I'm very much lolling at someone from Chadderton thinking it's the best place in the UK :D I'm a Mancunian, and have even lived in Oldham, so definitely know what it's like :D

Whilst the city centre is truly excellent, and there are some really nice suburbs around Manchester, I wouldn't count Oldham/Rochdale in that :D There are loads of places better to live in the UK. Partially because as you point out the salaries are not increasing very quickly there but the cost of living really is becoming insane (property prices particularly). I couldn't afford the house I have now in Manchester with the salary we'd make there...

Soldato
I'm very much lolling at someone from Chadderton thinking it's the best place in the UK :D I'm a Mancunian, and have even lived in Oldham, so definitely know what it's like :D

Whilst the city centre is truly excellent, and there are some really nice suburbs around Manchester, I wouldn't count Oldham/Rochdale in that :D There are loads of places better to live in the UK. Partially because as you point out the salaries are not increasing very quickly there but the cost of living really is becoming insane (property prices particularly). I couldn't afford the house I have now in Manchester with the salary we'd make there...

I previously live in Salford quays, Chadderton is a **** hole, same for Oldham and Rochdale, I won't be living in this are for much more than a year. Some areas of Manchester are really nice though.

Associate
However, while being brought up in the UK, without knowing it I was very subtly indoctrinated with the idea that the UK is the best option for living and other countries were for holidays or had something wrong with them. This message was never explicit and I think is left over from the empire days.

Interest thought, having grown up in the Northern Ireland there was never any subtly indoctrination that we had it better than any one else. I would say that it was clear that things were not great but other people in many places in the world had much worse life's and at the same time much better. In fact past generations had things much harsher, I guess it all boils down to the area of the UK you were born into as to how you view the rest of the world. Just imagine living in the UK with no electrical supply like in the days of empire, you would be back to being working class in the flip of a switch and pee poor.

Soldato
I don’t understand what’s so bad about the climate here?

It has proper 4 seasons (4 might be a stretch, winter can be very mild). I was just a Singapore less than 2 weeks ago, the weather there is either hot or VERY hot, every day, all year round. Boring as heck, sticky humid to boot as well.

The winters here are mild, we don’t get the snow level of Hokkaido. In the summer it’s only hot for 2 weeks at most. Out of the 52 weeks of the year, I can pretty much get away with a hoody and jeans in about 40 of those weeks.

No Hurricane or typhoon, no active volcanos, no earthquakes, no floods on the level like Bangladesh (or Tokyo, have you seen their underground rainwater system to drain the city in case of hurricane?!). We don’t get draught like Australia experienced last year.

It’s very green, very mild, clean air (even in London, compared to say Delhi).

The weather here is great! The brits don’t know how good they have it. I’d swap “boring and grey” 4 seasons over the threat of an earthquake or having to board up your windows preparing for a hurricane in the summer.

Compared to a lot of places in the world the weather is good. You're right we don't get extremes of heat nor cold, we don't get Earthquakes, or Tsunamis. But nevertheless the weather/climate is detrimental to comfort in a lot of ways. If we (collective) want a place where we can enjoy our outdoor hobbies all year round (so not too cold, not too dark, not too wet and muddy) then winter in this country is miserable.

Outdoor hobbies affected by the fairly cold climate: hiking, mountain biking, scuba diving. Those would all be a lot nicer if the environment was a constant 20-25C, fairly dry and the inland and coastal waters warm and clear.

Also the lack of sunlight in winter has a big effect on me, I feel so much better in summer.

Soldato
I think what he means to say is that being middle class where he lives now, is better than being middle class in the UK.

Anecdotally, I agree. But, if for some reason I had to move back to the UK, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I preferred living my middle class life in an affluent part of Germany....the quality of life is objectively better. It wasn't home though....despite how crap a lot of stuff is in the UK, it's crap I know :p

Associate
I preferred living my middle class life in an affluent part of Germany....the quality of life is objectively better. It wasn't home though....despite how crap a lot of stuff is in the UK, it's crap I know :p

The quality of life in the UK is fine, for most, there is nothing particularly bad about it, but the increasingly American-influenced grind culture, “eff you got mine” mindset and naked consumerism is what keeps QOL objectively below other, for example, European countries.

Back
Top Bottom