VR for dummies

Soldato
so i'm vaguely aware of the general idea of VR, toyed with google cardboard a few years back but never really got into it in any meaningful way. i know there's been a fair bit of development on it but i'm not really sure what VR offers outside of the likes of those setups that involve walking around a room with a couple of controllers in-hand that you wave about.

i'm curious what sort of uses VR might have outside of specific VR supporting games, for example use with desktop applications or non-VR titles, can these be used with the headset projecting a faux "screen", so it'd be like using a giant monitor?

i'm also wondering how well it'd work just for seated use, i presume it works well for flying/driving games but what about first person games (eg skyrim but anything in that general vein)? heard motion sickness is a bit of an issue with your eyes seeing movement but the rest of your body not experiencing it, is this one of those "it will happen, but you get used to it" things?

currently my setup precludes any standing/moving around/waving controllers, basically sitting and using conventional mouse+keyboard controls is all that'd be possible, so i'm not really sure if i'd see any benefit from putting money into a setup?

Soldato
so i'm vaguely aware of the general idea of VR, toyed with google cardboard a few years back but never really got into it in any meaningful way. i know there's been a fair bit of development on it but i'm not really sure what VR offers outside of the likes of those setups that involve walking around a room with a couple of controllers in-hand that you wave about.

i'm curious what sort of uses VR might have outside of specific VR supporting games, for example use with desktop applications or non-VR titles, can these be used with the headset projecting a faux "screen", so it'd be like using a giant monitor?

i'm also wondering how well it'd work just for seated use, i presume it works well for flying/driving games but what about first person games (eg skyrim but anything in that general vein)? heard motion sickness is a bit of an issue with your eyes seeing movement but the rest of your body not experiencing it, is this one of those "it will happen, but you get used to it" things?

currently my setup precludes any standing/moving around/waving controllers, basically sitting and using conventional mouse+keyboard controls is all that'd be possible, so i'm not really sure if i'd see any benefit from putting money into a setup?
I never tried VR until i got my Quest 2 and it was a whole new experience for me. It might less for you if you've tried other forms of VR before but for me it was truly mind blowing.

Most games i've played including shooters, action/RPG are all very well adapted to just standing still or sitting down and using the stick on the controller to move about. Things like going prone or ducking can be achieved by actually doing it in real life.

I've used VR in desktop mode through the app Virtual Desktop and you can simulate looking at your actual desktop and perform actions like you would in real life. I've done the same with watching movies in VR on a big "faux" cinema screen but giving you the impression of actually being in the cinema and watching with mates sat virtually next to you lol.

Again with Seated, i've played games like Assetto Corsa in VR mode and its amazing. Really does give you a sense of speed but you have to becareful with motion sickness. I've gotten use to playing VR in general and not getting motion sickness but driving games still gets me sometimes. It really is one of those things, the more you play the more you get use to it so just take it easy at first. If you start to feel sick just take a break and come back to it later.

Ideally you want at least arms length plus a foot in a 360 degree rotation and be able to have clearance above you and not hit any lights. Having a circular play mat will at least help you keep centred in the room incase you drift off.

Soldato
OP
I never tried VR until i got my Quest 2 and it was a whole new experience for me. It might less for you if you've tried other forms of VR before but for me it was truly mind blowing.

the google cardboard thing was an interesting taster, but i'm presuming not remotely the same level of immersion/quality you'd get from a proper setup.

I've used VR in desktop mode through the app Virtual Desktop and you can simulate looking at your actual desktop and perform actions like you would in real life. I've done the same with watching movies in VR on a big "faux" cinema screen but giving you the impression of actually being in the cinema and watching with mates sat virtually next to you lol.

that does sound handy, i presume you could simulate having a much larger (both in terms of percieved size but also screen space) desktop than you could with monitors, i currently run 3 (badly mismatched) screens for desktop work but shift to just the centre for gaming. i guess perhaps the tricky thing would be not being able to see your mouse/keyboard (and other desktop items) whilst working?

Ideally you want at least arms length plus a foot in a 360 degree rotation and be able to have clearance above you and not hit any lights. Having a circular play mat will at least help you keep centred in the room incase you drift off.

don't really have that kind of real-estate to work with, i'm very much limited to staying seated and don't have safe room to wave arms about without risking knocking things off desks etc, hence querying using vr with conventional mouse+keyboard (basically i'm thinking like playing with a big tiled ultrawide monitor set but without the space requirements of such a setup)

Soldato
I wouldn't work in VR yet, but I can imagine it being alright for some. You can get keyboards that show up in VR now.

Can you stand? If so, then minigolf is another sedantry experience that doesn't require waving around. VR fishing in Real VR fishing, is seated and nice. A group of us from the forum have been playing Demeo, which is like an role playing board game, again, definitely seated.

You can use the quest 2 in any room. It doesn't have to be near your computer. So wherever you've got a bit of space, or even outside (though you can't expose the lenses to sunlight, as it acts as a magnifying glass and permeantly damages the lcd screens).

To be honest, you get a 14 day (in the UK) no quibble return policy on online purchases I believe, even if you do click and collect. Get one, try out the free experiences and demos, and decide.

EDIT - I got mine when it was released, having been looking into it, and loved it.

Soldato
OP
Can you stand? If so, then minigolf is another sedantry experience that doesn't require waving around. VR fishing in Real VR fishing, is seated and nice. A group of us from the forum have been playing Demeo, which is like an role playing board game, again, definitely seated.

not really, at least not in a way i'd be happy to do blind with risks of tripping over the cat/bumping into things.

kinda suspected being limited to seated/not waving around would mean losing too much of the VR experience.

Soldato
not really, at least not in a way i'd be happy to do blind with risks of tripping over the cat/bumping into things.

kinda suspected being limited to seated/not waving around would mean losing too much of the VR experience.

When I say stand, I literally just mean stand, and shuffle a bit. No massive arm waving etc. Standing at the end of your bed is an option since you can safely wave your arms over the top of it. And on the assumption it's a regular length bed, then you've probably got as much room to play as I normally use for beat saber, golf, rec room etc.

Soldato

VR gets more immersive the more room you have to move around. I've tried roomscale VR in a huge empty office and it was mindblowing. You really feel like you're in a real envionment if you can walk around naturally.

However you can still get massively immersed even if you only have room for standing or seating. That's especially true for racing and flight sims where you would be seated anyway.

I've only got room for standing VR in my attic where my PC is, but I can take my Quest down to the lounge where I have a bit more room to move around.

Soldato
OP
When I say stand, I literally just mean stand, and shuffle a bit. No massive arm waving etc. Standing at the end of your bed is an option since you can safely wave your arms over the top of it. And on the assumption it's a regular length bed, then you've probably got as much room to play as I normally use for beat saber, golf, rec room etc.

i get what you're saying, but space really is at that much of a premium for the time being, hopefully not too long though.

However you can still get massively immersed even if you only have room for standing or seating. That's especially true for racing and flight sims where you would be seated anyway.

yeah, i do occasionally like the odd racing/driving game, only real "flying" game would be ksp, generally more the likes of rpg's, shooters etc would be the sort of thing i'd be into.

was kinda thinking it'd be more like playing normally, just on a really big screen that goes all round (so there'd be some element of being able to look away from where your mouse would be) although i presume that's exactly the kind of thing that gives you motion sickness.

Soldato
To put it into context, I stand with my back to my computer desk, can take about half a step backwards before hitting my desk. In front of me is a couch. Thankfully to the sides I've got space, but it's about 190cm I believe, so as I said, the length of a bed. When i say it's possible, it's because it's what I'm doing every day :D.

Soldato
To put it into context, I stand with my back to my computer desk, can take about half a step backwards before hitting my desk. In front of me is a couch. Thankfully to the sides I've got space, but it's about 190cm I believe, so as I said, the length of a bed. When i say it's possible, it's because it's what I'm doing every day :D.
We have a single bed in a spare room that never gets used lol. I was tempted to just put the bed in the loft so i can use it as a VR room but the wife says no....

Soldato
was kinda thinking it'd be more like playing normally, just on a really big screen that goes all round (so there'd be some element of being able to look away from where your mouse would be) although i presume that's exactly the kind of thing that gives you motion sickness.

It's nothing like playing on a big screen, it's as if you're actually there, inside the game.

It's like comparing watching a video of a holiday destination and actually being at the holiday destination. It's especially true if you've never experienced proper VR before.

The level of immersion is incredible, and if you have a steering wheel and pedals (and even better a racing chair as well), then racing in VR feels astonishingly real, as does if you fly using a HOTAS setup.

Playing shooting games in VR is also way more immersive as you're not just clicking a button, you are physicially aiming as if you were using a real gun, and many games also have realistic or semi-realistic loading mechanics. It's amazing when a zombie is shuffling towards you (and it feels like it's actually there in front of you), you run out of bullets and you're frantically fumbling the reload because you're actually panicking.

Soldato
OP

still can't say i'm sold, constantly imagining flailing and knocking into something.

in your scenario space wise replace your couch with a workbench, i transition between it and my pc desk by just swivelling the chair.

It's nothing like playing on a big screen, it's as if you're actually there, inside the game.

yeah for VR supported titles i'm imagining it'd be like that, a 3-d world and that. but non-vr titles i'm guessing the big screen analogy holds?

Playing shooting games in VR is also way more immersive as you're not just clicking a button, you are physicially aiming as if you were using a real gun, and many games also have realistic or semi-realistic loading mechanics. It's amazing when a zombie is shuffling towards you (and it feels like it's actually there in front of you), you run out of bullets and you're frantically fumbling the reload because you're actually panicking.

yeah i've seen some reviews of the likes of onward, although not sure i'd get on so well with aiming without the likes of a stock to line up my head with the sights.

tbh i'm still not sold on the whole notion of trying to introduce that kind of realism (ie crouching behind cover, manipulating weapons etc) in a scenario where physical movement is limited, can see me trying to duck into in-game cover only to crash into something.

Soldato
still can't say i'm sold, constantly imagining flailing and knocking into something.

in your scenario space wise replace your couch with a workbench, i transition between it and my pc desk by just swivelling the chair.

Hence the suggestion of a bedroom, standing next to the side of the bed, and facing forward over it.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself it's not going to work. Which is fair enough, from the sounds of it you do have very limited space, but the advantage with the quest 2 is it can be played anywhere, you don't have to be next to your PC.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself it's not going to work. Which is fair enough, from the sounds of it you do have very limited space, but the advantage with the quest 2 is it can be played anywhere, you don't have to be next to your PC.

you are right i guess, it's a combination of limited space (or too much stuff lying around for the space i do have) and probably a fair amount trying to convince myself out of it for the sake of saving money on something i don't know if i'd get the use out of.

Soldato
you are right i guess, it's a combination of limited space (or too much stuff lying around for the space i do have) and probably a fair amount trying to convince myself out of it for the sake of saving money on something i don't know if i'd get the use out of.

Again, I'd order it online, click and collect at a local store. You get 2 weeks to then return it I believe. It blew me away when I first tried it, and that was just the basics.

Soldato
There’s too much attempt to convert you to VR here and not enough objective opinions, so let me give it a go.

I’m a flat screen gamer who thinks VR is incredible. Reason I make that point is that I feel a lot of people here are VR converts to the point they massively prefer it over flat screen gaming (inb4 denials). To me, the two are to be enjoyed separately, not at the expense of the other.

So my recommendation for you, is the obvious Quest 2. If you’re wanting to play PCVR (if you’re that much of a noob, this means linking the headset to your PC) and you’re truly that limited with space, then your choices fall down to driving or flying games. But that’s no bad thing!
- Star Wars Squadrons
- No Man’s Sky (whilst you walk on foot, you largely use the controller to turn, as this game was designed to play seated)
- Assetto Corsa series
- Project Cars
- Dirt Rally

Squadrons is truly incredibly to play in VR, as whilst using an Xbox controller, you feel like you’re genuinely sat in the cockpit of a space craft. Likewise, the first time I left atmosphere in No Man’s Sky, my jaw dropped!

But where the Quest 2 excels is that it’s also a completely stand alone device - when not connected to your PC, it’s still a very capable piece of hardware. The games won’t look as beautiful as Half-Life Alyx on the Pc, but they’re also designed specifically for the Quest 2, and as a result look pretty good still, whilst retaining all that immersion. At this point, you’ll be able to take your headset in to whatever room you want and play in there, without the need for any cables restricting you. There’s countless games available on the Quest platform, but some great ones include:
Red Matter (FPS puzzle game)
Arizona Sunshine (FPS zombie shooter)
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners (FPS zombie shooter)
The Climb (first person climbing game)
The Star Wars Vader series (light sabre fun)
Beat Sabre (dancing in VR)

For the smal cost of a VR headset, it’s well worth a dabble, and over the next 5 years I expect VR to really come in to its own more.

Underboss
im pretty sure OcUK sells the Quest 2, why dont you send them and email about returns
im sure they will still say 14 day moneyback guarantee or something

you've also got the usual rain forest and the electrical side of waitrose they im sure will let you bring it back..

Associate
If you’re wanting to play PCVR (if you’re that much of a noob, this means linking the headset to your PC) and you’re truly that limited with space, then your choices fall down to driving or flying games. But that’s no bad thing!
- Star Wars Squadrons
- No Man’s Sky (whilst you walk on foot, you largely use the controller to turn, as this game was designed to play seated)
- Assetto Corsa series
- Project Cars
- Dirt Rally

To add to this list, games like Alien Isolation, Subnautica, Into the Radius, I Expect You To Die, Moss, The Climb and The Talos Principle are all also perfectly playable in sitting mode with limited space.

Back
Top Bottom