Quick question on USB power

Soldato
I wasnt 100% sure where to post this, this seems the most appropriate.

Do PC usb ports have appropriate surge protection?

Basically, the reason I ask is I want to make a DIY made device, basically something that spins a motor, powered by 5v DC USB output of a PC. If for some reason, the motor fails, or shorts etc, is there any chance a VERY cheap electric motor could damage a pretty expensive PC?

Or even more basic, if you take the DC output on of a PC USB port, and short it, what happens?

Associate
If you short it, your PC will either shutdown or hang then shutdown. If your plugging in DC motors makes sure it has a soft start on it as the high inrush current could trip the fuse built-in the motherboard or the sensor in the PSU.

Associate
Polyfuses will prevent damage, but they don't reset reliably; if you subject a USB port to repeated overloads, you may find that it ends up in a permanent high-impedance state.

Associate
It is possible to fry a PC via the usb port. It was demonstrated on LTT a while back. Basically the USB stick sent a massive pulse back into the PC and fried it, killing the board instantly.

If you're worried, then spend a few pounds on a cheap powered USB hub that can a) supply lots of power down a port, b) take the hit if the motor does fail

Back
Top Bottom