Cheapest way to heat a room

Soldato
Hi guys, I'm changing jobs soon to a role that is remote based, so WFH daily. My 'office' is on my upstairs landing, I can get away using an old mini heater occasionally through the day so my fingers aren't icicles but I assume this isn't great on the leccy. Are there any cheap to run mini heaters out there? What is everyone else doing? I don't fancy having the heating on daily, especially with oil prices :)
Yes, get a 3090 rtx gpu. And a alder lake cpu

Soldato
Do you not have a room you could work out of? It's a lot easier to keep a smaller room warm than a landing which any heat generated will spread downstairs and through a hallway. Our hallway is the coldest part of our house even when the heating has been on, so i think you'll definitely be fighting an uphill battle.

Associate
Might sound daft but if its just yourself that is cold get some heated clothing that you would normally wear outside.

Even things like using a hot water bottle will help keep you warmer.

Cheaper than trying to heat a space like that.

Only place in my house that is cold is the landing, stairs area and I guess its the same for most.

Associate
I got one of the cheap convector heaters (2kw) but run only on 750 w mode. Fortunately I have a door so once the room is warm I can turn it off and it would retain the heat for a fair few hours. I think the oil radiator is a good idea or maybe some form of heated cushions for your chair (like car seat ones).

Soldato
I work in an outside small summer house. Not well insulated. Until it's freezing i do just rely on mining on my card to throw out a constant stream of heat. Just enough to take the edge off and makes a little money too.

Soldato
What did you end up doing OP?

I'm thinking about getting a oil heater, but which one? Don't want to go all out for 2 months of the year when needed.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Got one, doesn't warm my hands unfortunately

If its office type work then its not a dog you need, you need a Cat!
Whenever ye need to use the keyboard they're constantly wanting to lie down on it, free handwarmer!
(I say free but dont forget to feed it :p)

Lived in an old victorian townhouse with mates whilst at college, in winter we may have well been camping!
We had little oil rads as above for longer periods but once we worked out that we weren't paying utilities out came the box fans w/heaters haha

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom