Have a guess at why my router doesn't work with my new FTTP connection

Soldato
Put simply, I used to use a TP Link Archer VR400 as my modem/router for my FTTC connection.

I recently moved to Swish FTTP with a 900mb connection.

When they install their box (I gather it's called an ONT?) they also give you a Plume Pod which provides wifi and I presume routing.

I don't need that, I have a mesh/wired network/switches etc and would prefer to just plug their modem (the ONT?) into my existing router which then goes into my mesh etc.

Right now I have to have their ONT to the Plume Pod then into my mesh which creates 2 wireless networks and the Plume isn't very configurable... lovely app interface, very much style over substance. It only has 2 ethernet ports, 1 of which is taken up with the connection to the ONT so basically it's just taking up 2 plug sockets (it's big) and is complicating things.

But when I do that and remove the Plume Pod and go ONT to Router (factory reset and put into router only mode) then I lose my internet connection.

Any ideas before I blow an hour on the phone to them?

Soldato
OP
Yes I've got all the login for the TP, I was using it previously for my FTTC setup with Sky as a modem and router.

The ONT isn't openreach but either was I wasn't expecting it to have any routing capabilities which is sort of why I'm surprised I get no connection when I just plug to ONT into the TP when the TP is in stock router only mode.

Soldato
OP
By which I mean I assume the ONT is still doing what it does and the TP is somehow refusing/unable to route the connection, I've tried connecting the ONT to the dedicated WAN port and a standard port on the TP to see if they made any difference/rebooted the TP whilst it's all connected etc.

Soldato
OP
Hang on... I need username and password details from swish for my fibre right? Just reading now, set the connection to PPPoE and then input my username and password into the TP..

Associate
Put simply, I used to use a TP Link Archer VR400 as my modem/router for my FTTC connection.

I recently moved to Swish FTTP with a 900mb connection.

When they install their box (I gather it's called an ONT?) they also give you a Plume Pod which provides wifi and I presume routing.

I don't need that, I have a mesh/wired network/switches etc and would prefer to just plug their modem (the ONT?) into my existing router which then goes into my mesh etc.

Right now I have to have their ONT to the Plume Pod then into my mesh which creates 2 wireless networks and the Plume isn't very configurable... lovely app interface, very much style over substance. It only has 2 ethernet ports, 1 of which is taken up with the connection to the ONT so basically it's just taking up 2 plug sockets (it's big) and is complicating things.

But when I do that and remove the Plume Pod and go ONT to Router (factory reset and put into router only mode) then I lose my internet connection.

Any ideas before I blow an hour on the phone to them?

Hey Matt.

I believe you may have contacted us over the weekend to get your TP Link router up and running, but feel free to drop me a PM if there's any outstanding issues/concerns.

To clarify, we use IPoE not PPPoE on our network, so no username or password is required, and the WAN interface can be set to auto obtain.

Chris
Swish Fibre Team

Soldato
OP
Hah yes I did and your advice sorted it.

May as well share here, I think it was to change the DHCP to dynamic or something like that?

As it happens it identified my router had 100mb ethernet ports so prompted yet another upgrade lol

Back
Top Bottom