**The Mental Health Thread**

Capodecina
Soldato
I can totally relate to that. Not to do with the mail, but my folks separated when I was very young and unbeknown to me at the time, when we stayed at dads and mum was coming to collect us he used to get my sister and I up an hour earlier, sit us at the kitchen table then just keep telling us over and over that she was late or maybe not coming. The reason being so it would get us really upset and we were therefore a handful for mum I presume.

Oh God, those kitchen table chats. We had them too. Sometimes they went on for hours with my brother and I just sitting in silence. There was a clock on the wall, I'll never forget it, with two red stripes and two blue ones. My dad would sit there talking about money and marriage problems while I watched the hands go round. I just wanted to go and play computer games, I literally didn't care. It meant nothing to me.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a easy to follow book on negative thinking and thoughts that can help calm my mind?

Really appreciate

:)
Check out Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Dr Danny Penman.
I have the audio version of this well regarded book, helps with ways to calm your mind!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pretty disappointed in myself, had a really important sales pitch call that the business have been putting loads of pressure on, I haven't had to take a Valium for the best part of a year but could feel myself tightening up, tight throat, sweating, a panic attack was on the way and there's no way I could let that happen during the pitch so had to take one :(

Dont think I really had any choice I just hoped I'd have handled it better. I never used to get this nervous before I developed an anxiety disorder.

Soldato
Just posting incase someone else is offered metazapine , 3 momths off work ish now my doc wants the therapy to go alongside my mirtazapine for a decent time span, weird i really enjoy my days but my mind looks for problems when i get home and when i wake up, when 1 problem goes that hole is fillled with another but i/we are working on this.
Meds are ok only good side effects, sleep like a log right through (would wake maybe 15 times a night before) weight is ok (put on at first but stabilised now)
Doing exactly what i dreamed of doing decades ago just need to rewire my head from old **** that happened

Associate
Just posting incase someone else is offered metazapine , 3 momths off work ish now my doc wants the therapy to go alongside my mirtazapine for a decent time span, weird i really enjoy my days but my mind looks for problems when i get home and when i wake up, when 1 problem goes that hole is fillled with another but i/we are working on this.
Meds are ok only good side effects, sleep like a log right through (would wake maybe 15 times a night before) weight is ok (put on at first but stabilised now)
Doing exactly what i dreamed of doing decades ago just need to rewire my head from old **** that happened

mirtazapine is amazing for sleep. I'm on it and love it. Helps me balance things more easily. It's a great med but each to their own

Soldato
I’m looking to have a chat with my doctor next week. I’m seriously struggling at the moment. Recently split up with my girlfriend of 5 years as I found out she’d slept with a work colleague. We also work in the same department although different offices but I will still need to see her (and him) on a semi regular basis.
Timing couldn’t have been worse as next week marks the 10th anniversary of my wife going into hospital. She passed in the January so I’ve never liked Christmas since and now it’s even worse. I’m also someone’s main carer which can be hard.
At 50 I’m feeling like the best of my life has gone and I’m just existing and feel very lonely. Work is hectic and I’m finding it hard to concentrate and retain information. I’m not sleeping or eating well either.

Just want to numb myself for a while if that makes sense?

Soldato
I’m looking to have a chat with my doctor next week. I’m seriously struggling at the moment. Recently split up with my girlfriend of 5 years as I found out she’d slept with a work colleague. We also work in the same department although different offices but I will still need to see her (and him) on a semi regular basis.
Timing couldn’t have been worse as next week marks the 10th anniversary of my wife going into hospital. She passed in the January so I’ve never liked Christmas since and now it’s even worse. I’m also someone’s main carer which can be hard.
At 50 I’m feeling like the best of my life has gone and I’m just existing and feel very lonely. Work is hectic and I’m finding it hard to concentrate and retain information. I’m not sleeping or eating well either.

Just want to numb myself for a while if that makes sense?
That is hard, I wish you well.

Soldato
Wine helps immensely:)

Stay positive, millions of us all going through constant self battles

Yes wine is awesome. But tbh i havnt reduced my intake when im on the tabs, the upshot is i feel like i am floating on a big white fluffy cloud, the downside may be quite dangerous but i belive its one of the safer meds, its somethimg i need to adress, all these mornings when i dont have to get up its tempting to get an extra bottle.(gone from 2 to 3 a week )
Yesterday i had a dry friday night, had 3 hours isurfing, was absolutely wioed out then bed at 8pm to 8am this is probably the way to go

Soldato
mirtazapine is amazing for sleep. I'm on it and love it. Helps me balance things more easily. It's a great med but each to their own

It took a while to work on the mood with me >9 weeks but anxiety was instantly helped, like i had drunk half a bottle of wine but with clarity, no dizzy spells or feeling out of it

Fellow Mirtazapine takers! Do you guys find that it messes with your weight? I been taking it 15 years or so, it changed my life but I got fat. Not making excuses, I know really it's about the food that passes my mouth, but I read a lot of stories about it, messes with appetite etc and weight gain and have never got to speak to someone else who takes it! I also have to take Propanalol and that too is supposed to mess with your weight.

Soldato
Fellow Mirtazapine takers! Do you guys find that it messes with your weight? I been taking it 15 years or so, it changed my life but I got fat. Not making excuses, I know really it's about the food that passes my mouth, but I read a lot of stories about it, messes with appetite etc and weight gain and have never got to speak to someone else who takes it! I also have to take Propanalol and that too is supposed to mess with your weight.

I definitely had an initial weight gain that i have kept and it feels like it takes effort to stay the same weight, but i dont have increased appetite tbh,pretty stable at 14.5 stones but a lot of muscle mass and im 6ft2,
Back in the day i was on anafranil and that was horrendous, this seems like a good med, cant really feel im on it apart from the amazing sleep!
Slow to kick in but i think its starting to work now....

Soldato

Sorry to hear you're in a bad way.

As for having a chat with a doctor, it's absolutely the correct thing to do.

I went through a horrendous patch back in June, ended up in a pretty bad way (suicidal thoughts, self-harming). It got to the point where I either got professional help, or I go off the deep end. I'd been in a descending downward spiral for a while, (mostly due to the horrendous Irish lockdown) and I'd actually forgotten what it was like to not feel stressed and all over the place. Waking up at night and flipping between screaming destructive rage followed by crippling sadness.

I had 2x chats with the GP, got put on some medication and had a few counseling sessions - honestly it transformed me totally. I did have some mild, harmless side effects from the meds, but overall - it just rebalanced me, as I was in a state of clinical depression.

I discovered that there 2x versions of me, the crazy stressed out raging bull, and the relaxed chilled out guy - the counselling and meds helped me to recognise the difference between the two, so I knew how to control things and see things more rationally, as depression was making me think in the most irrational stupid way.

So yeah - getting professional help is the best thing when it gets bad, the doctor will totally understand and will know what to do.

Best of luck,

Associate
I definitely had an initial weight gain that i have kept and it feels like it takes effort to stay the same weight, but i dont have increased appetite tbh,pretty stable at 14.5 stones but a lot of muscle mass and im 6ft2,
Back in the day i was on anafranil and that was horrendous, this seems like a good med, cant really feel im on it apart from the amazing sleep!

Only take at night... I walk 6 miles most days Monday-Friday and talk to myself, take in life surroundings. I talk to myself as I'm going up against my father in court - I'm on a few ciders at the minute :)

With this medication, best to skip breakfast. As soon as you eat you can't seem to stop.... I walk all week, don't drink as I work nights... On my nights off, eat and drink like a king!!!

Reading this?... Life's, crap?... I'm battling, why can't you???!!!!!.... Not alone people x

Love to all

Soldato

Ahh so you just started it? Just keep an eye on the weight thing then :) I tried so many different SSRIs etc and this was the only one that didn't make my symptoms worse, it really changed/gave me back my life. Did take a few weeks to work iirc, but the difference was the first couple of weeks just felt normal rather than the others I tried which had me climbing the walls instantly.

It is awesome for sleep, due to it affecting the histamine receptors (which is also guilty for the appetite thing), though I am now dependant on it and can physically feel the difference if I try sleep without taking it (not a high in anyway, but I know I haven't taken it).

Soldato
Ahh so you just started it? Just keep an eye on the weight thing then :) I tried so many different SSRIs etc and this was the only one that didn't make my symptoms worse, it really changed/gave me back my life. Did take a few weeks to work iirc, but the difference was the first couple of weeks just felt normal rather than the others I tried which had me climbing the walls instantly.

It is awesome for sleep, due to it affecting the histamine receptors (which is also guilty for the appetite thing), though I am now dependant on it and can physically feel the difference if I try sleep without taking it (not a high in anyway, but I know I haven't taken it).
Think i started on 15mg late September for 2 weeks then 30mg up to now, but my sleep was always rubbish pre mirtazapine, fall asleep like a log but constantly wake, now its long deep refreshing sleep,awesome

Soldato
Only take at night... I walk 6 miles most days Monday-Friday and talk to myself, take in life surroundings. I talk to myself as I'm going up against my father in court - I'm on a few ciders at the minute :)

With this medication, best to skip breakfast. As soon as you eat you can't seem to stop.... I walk all week, don't drink as I work nights... On my nights off, eat and drink like a king!!!

Reading this?... Life's, crap?... I'm battling, why can't you???!!!!!.... Not alone people x

Love to all

Wow, I always thought you weren't supposed to drink while taking it? I always just skipped that nights back in the day if I wanted to have a few beers. Just looked it up as it's been so long and the NHS website now says you can still drink while taking it :O. Checked the instructions on my current batch and it says 'you're advised not too' but doesn't outright say don't. Might try still taking it next time I have a drink :) (which is like once a year anyway but lol).

Back
Top Bottom