**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Think i started on 15mg late September for 2 weeks then 30mg up to now, but my sleep was always rubbish pre mirtazapine, fall asleep like a log but constantly wake, now its long deep refreshing sleep,awesome

That's good to hear, it really is a good one :) I have been on 15mg most of the years but have been put up to 30mg for shorter periods. They'll possibly drop it back to 15mg when you're comfortable doing so. The lower doses are supposed to have a more sedating effect.

Hopefully it helps sort things out for you (and if just sleeping issues, continue to help). A lot people turn their noses at needing meds to help, but they are so valuable and people don't realise they are just part of getting better. Sending all my best wishes to you and @Helen Barber!

Soldato
Wow, I always thought you weren't supposed to drink while taking it? I always just skipped that nights back in the day if I wanted to have a few beers. Just looked it up as it's been so long and the NHS website now says you can still drink while taking it :O. Checked the instructions on my current batch and it says 'you're advised not too' but doesn't outright say don't. Might try still taking it next time I have a drink :) (which is like once a year anyway but lol).
I definitely found drinking with it knocked me the F out, to a scary level. But then on its own it zonked me, used to have to take it right near bedtime as I'd be glued to an armchair struggling to form a coherent sentence otherwise.

That was early days though, I didn't try drinking once I'd got used to it.

Soldato
I definitely found drinking with it knocked me the F out, to a scary level. But then on its own it zonked me, used to have to take it right near bedtime as I'd be glued to an armchair struggling to form a coherent sentence otherwise.

That was early days though, I didn't try drinking once I'd got used to it.

haha I can imagine it does magnify it some, cheap night I guess lol. Yea, have always taken it an hour before I want to wind down, it's part of my night time ritual now. PC off, medicines and fall asleep to TV shows while it kicks in!

Best wishes to you too good Sir :)

Soldato
Well it's been a few months since I posted, my current situation has gone down hill since May.

Managed to cut down to 5mg diazepam a day(was on 50mg in January) which hasn't been great at all. Take it from me, use benzodiazepines carefully everyone that's taking them! I wouldn't wish this on my Worst enemy.

Just been awarded PIP not that I'm happy about it, I'd rather be well and able to work! If anyone here has been turned down for PIP and needs help it's worth trying again as the rules have changed for mental health.

So onwards I suffer. Some decent sleep would be nice! Doctor won't give me anything because I'm a drug addict now apparently. Doctors gave me diazepam and now I'm labeled an addict lol.

Hope everyone is doing the best they can right now.

Soldato
may ask my doc about this combination already half way there on mirtazapine

California rocket fuel is a slang term created by the psychiatric community (and some medical professionals) that refers to a combined treatment with Remeron (Mirtazapine) and Effexor (Venlafaxine). The reason this combination is referred to as “California rocket fuel” is due to the its higher than average potency and efficacy. Rockets blast off with extreme speed, and in many cases, people given this particular combination notice a rapid improvement in their depressive symptoms

Soldato
So had a chat with my doctor. I completely broke down and she arranged an emergency mental health appointment for the next day.

An hour and a half later and they've put me on 100mg of Sertraline a day and Zopiclone for sleep as without it my head just spins like a top all night.

I'm on day 5 of it and at the moment I'm just getting really bad bouts of anxiety, real chest thumping, panicking inducing stuff. I can just about handle it but it's not nice at all. Apparently this is normal for the first few weeks of Sertraline? Hoping it will stabilise in the new year and i can try and start functioning normally.

Associate
So had a chat with my doctor. I completely broke down and she arranged an emergency mental health appointment for the next day.

An hour and a half later and they've put me on 100mg of Sertraline a day and Zopiclone for sleep as without it my head just spins like a top all night.

I'm on day 5 of it and at the moment I'm just getting really bad bouts of anxiety, real chest thumping, panicking inducing stuff. I can just about handle it but it's not nice at all. Apparently this is normal for the first few weeks of Sertraline? Hoping it will stabilise in the new year and i can try and start functioning normally.

Are you going through some life struggles with a relationship ending or something else?

Just bare with the meds, side-effects can Bd present for weeks.

Much love x

Associate
It's a battle and a nightmare, just know your not alone. Lots of us suffering.

Why don't you look to get out of that job and start a fresh, obviously wait until you feel more stronger.

She has done you a favour in the long run. I bet your a wear your heart on your sleeve type chap, hence how your hurting so much.

Every relationship that ended for me, mostly sent me into deep depression.

Do you have friends around you?... I was always a bit of a loner

Permabanned

That's not a good combo. Stay away from zopiclone. It's highly addictive. I'm talking from past experience with someone I know not myself.

You best off trying to tire yourself out by any means possible. I recommend you going for a very long walk before you try to sleep.

Soldato
She has done you a favour in the long run. I bet your a wear your heart on your sleeve type chap, hence how your hurting so much.

Every relationship that ended for me, mostly sent me into deep depression.

Do you have friends around you?... I was always a bit of a loner
I do tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm very loyal and just do not understand the concept of cheating.
I'm very much a loner but have recently opened up to a work colleague who has been there for me. He's been a great support in all honesty.

Soldato
That's not a good combo. Stay away from zopiclone. It's highly addictive. I'm talking from past experience with someone I know not myself.

You best off trying to tire yourself out by any means possible. I recommend you going for a very long walk before you try to sleep.
How addictive? I have only been given 14 tablets.

Permabanned

You have to be taking it for about 3-6 months for you to realize but they are very strong sleeping helpers. The person I knew used to cook on them and then couldn't remember they did it. You can't just come off zopiclone either because once your brain needs that to sleep you will find you won't sleep at all without them unless you tire yourself out completely.

You might find your apatite increases as well. 14 tablets will be fine though.

Just be careful.

Soldato
When I was hospitalised earlier this year they gave me zopiclone and diazepam just for a week due to it being addictive, then moved me to promethazine for a couple of months which is less addictive but the effects are supposed to wear off after a while hence why you can become dependent on them. I'm now taking a low dose of quetiapine (off label) which helps with my anxiety and depression through the day, and helps with the insomnia at night, side effects were not as bad as I thought they would be, like having a hangover in the morning which seems to be wearing off.

Caporegime
Don't worry too much your doc will keep it in check you're on a two weekly prescription I had the same for a long time.

Personally I don't see the addictive side of it it was never a problem for me use it as a tool sleep and rest and I know this next bit will be hard and you won't always do it but when you wake up and feel awake no matter the time get up. Just get up. Make the bed if you can this is a great step it's motivating and if the day is **** least you come back to a made bed. :p

Then do something physical and self maintaining, brush your teeth, shower, do 20 press ups or squats or say something positive in a mirror just ritualise something and do it.

As pointless as it all sounds it helps.

For the sleep stress one thing I've found is count. Try and uninterrupted count in your head it serves two purposes 1 it lengthens time if you're counting seconds a miniute is an age.

2 it slows thoughts down its almost impossible for you're internal monologue to continue if you actively count. You only have one inside your head voice.

You'll fail like every 20-60 seconds I never get above 90 tbh but it helps so much but breaking things down.

Soldato
a little disappointed with my therapy tbh its basically just a worry management leaflet work through ,i.e one thing in it is dont worry about anything all day then have 20 mins worry time in the evening ,half of the time i dont know what the worry is ,i will try these things but think my issues are much deeper , my doc is really holding back on changing from mirtazapine ,as ive said i can have amazing days but go back to default

Caporegime
a little disappointed with my therapy tbh its basically just a worry management leaflet work through ,i.e one thing in it is dont worry about anything all day then have 20 mins worry time in the evening ,half of the time i dont know what the worry is ,i will try these things but think my issues are much deeper , my doc is really holding back on changing from mirtazapine ,as ive said i can have amazing days but go back to default
Is 20 minutes of worry really a problem though?

That's a pretty short time. Does it cover all your worries or a specific unusual/over amplified one?

Is it a realistic worry or a fantastic one?

(Ie is your job at risk or are you worrying about losing it despite all being well?

Caporegime
Think i started on 15mg late September for 2 weeks then 30mg up to now, but my sleep was always rubbish pre mirtazapine, fall asleep like a log but constantly wake, now its long deep refreshing sleep,awesome
Mirtazapine is a seriously strong sleep inducer. It's a weirdness though I found it like having a holiday each night as an 8 hour sellp fel like 18 hours of dream

Soldato
Is 20 minutes of worry really a problem though?

That's a pretty short time. Does it cover all your worries or a specific unusual/over amplified one?

Is it a realistic worry or a fantastic one?

(Ie is your job at risk or are you worrying about losing it despite all being well?

nah i will give it a bash ,but i find it impossible sometimes i.e my dads memory is getting worse ,if i talk to him on the phone and i can tell its even worse than usual i wont be able to put that worry off ,but its a worry i cant resolve apart from family chats how to help him ect ,edit my folks live up north ,been up a lot this year.

Back
Top Bottom