THEA500 Mini has been announced via Retro Games Ltd. and distributed by Koch Media

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Does the floppy drive even work?

There is no floppy drive

Workbench included?

no, as it's still under copyright.

No AC adpater included either???

No, just like phones nowadays.

[quote[How the hell do you play Gunship 2000 on a virtual keyboard?? :D Good luck with that[/quote]

With difficulty! You could just plug a USB keyboard in though.

What hardware is inside this?

Custom ARM - like a RaspberryPi

Associate
There is no floppy drive

no, as it's still under copyright.

No, just like phones nowadays.

[quote[How the hell do you play Gunship 2000 on a virtual keyboard?? :D Good luck with that

With difficulty! You could just plug a USB keyboard in though.

Custom ARM - like a RaspberryPi[/QUOTE]

But at twice the price and half the CPU power of a Pi4 :(

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So basically, just get a Pi4 for cheaper... or a real Amiga 500
The Pi400 is the best Amiga ever released ;)

Real Amigas are just a pita - unless you are a real hardcore enthusiast, just go emulation.

I've still ordered one of these though :)

Associate
The Pi400 is the best Amiga ever released ;)

Real Amigas are just a pita - unless you are a real hardcore enthusiast, just go emulation.

I've still ordered one of these though :)

I agree... i just dont want a raspberry coloured base.. when they release a black Pi400 I will get one...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I agree... i just dont want a raspberry coloured base.. when they release a black Pi400 I will get one...

Someone is working on an A600 styled case to fit the Pi400 innards into. It's like the project Julia case that uses an Ajazz mechanical keyboard.

Associate
So how good are the emulators these days? Can you write stable assembly code on them , or something like blitz basic and dpaint? Or are they just good for running games?
I've just got a real itch to get an A1200 and fiddle with code again but don't like the prices on eBay!

Caporegime
I have pre-ordered via Amazon.

Username checks out! :D

Quite disappointed in this mini version honestly between how expensive it is and the fact that it doesn't even come with a working keyboard. It's literally just a plastic case. Feels very low effort and looks like a blatant cash grab.

They should have released a full FPGA non-emulated device (like the Spectrum Next, Analogue superNT, etc) with a working keyboard IMO. Hard pass from me.

Yeah, yikes, if that is all it is (software-based emulation in a gimmicky case) then I'm not too impressed. At least with the SNES mini/classic you got an emulator Nintendo had put some effort into + a couple of decent controllers thrown in (just getting a couple of good SNES controllers (like 8BitDo) costs like £60 anyway before you add in the cost of a raspberry pi + SNES case etc.. and this SNES mini retailed at £80).

You'd be better buying a raspberry pi400.

Perhaps not even that tbh... I like the idea of a raspberry pi + case to replace some consoles and sit under a TV, but for the Amiga, you might as well emulate on your desktop PC or laptop.

Associate
They should have released a full FPGA non-emulated device (like the Spectrum Next, Analogue superNT, etc) with a working keyboard IMO. Hard pass from me.

Yeah, yikes, if that is all it is (software-based emulation in a gimmicky case) then I'm not too impressed. At least with the SNES mini/classic you got an emulator Nintendo had put some effort into + a couple of decent controllers thrown in (just getting a couple of good SNES controllers (like 8BitDo) costs like £60 anyway before you add in the cost of a raspberry pi + SNES case etc.. and this SNES mini retailed at £80).

It's worth noting that FPGA is expensive and rather niche. The Spectrum Next was £300+ when available, the Amiga Vampire standalone €600, an Analog NT is c.£300-400 in the UK and all of these aren't available. Even a fully fledged MiSTer setup is c.£300 once you factored in the IO board, memory, USB hub, PSU and case etc.

Both the SNES/NES Mini and theC64/Mini use commonly available emulation software and have been praised for their dashboards/built in software. At least The C64 has had a number of firmware updates adding new functionality. So on this it would appear Retro Games can be trusted. Nintendo have the advantage of being a much larger company and owning all the IP. I do think the A500 Mini is a bit pricey vs their C64 Mini, but it comes with more in the box.

I did buy a MiSTer late last year and that has been my recent weapon of choice for experiencing Amiga. I do think it's probably one of the best options for people wanting to go the FPGA route, but there needs to be some realism, in that you aren't going to see a £120 FPGA console.

So how good are the emulators these days? Can you write stable assembly code on them , or something like blitz basic and dpaint? Or are they just good for running games?
I've just got a real itch to get an A1200 and fiddle with code again but don't like the prices on eBay!

I've used WinUAE, Amibian/Amiberry, RetroPie, Pimiga and AmiKit (on Linux and Windows) over the years. Also have Amiga Forever 8 (I think 9 is out now). For me using these to play old games, or play around in Workbench (have 1/2/3.x and 3.1.4) there has been little discernible differences (latency being the main thing). The Amiga demos can sometimes not look as smooth but again it feels like nit-picking. I think for most people emulation is fine. Particularly for just trying old games. The Amiga can require a bit more cost and effort to setup than other formats. For example buying legal versions of the Kickstart and Workbench OS.

One main advantage of emulation is the speed. If you using something like HstWB Installer, emulation can compile installation packages much, much faster. And I imagine that would be true of programming and DPaint usage etc.

There are modern projects like AmiKit that are fantastic. Attempts to give the Amiga OS a more modern, and usable OS. There something to be said for it running on it's own box (whether that be a Raspberry Pi or whatever) and I can see why people mention the best Amiga is a Raspberry Pi. Obviously real hardware is very cool too, but will come with costs, maintenance, modern upgrades etc. And therefore not be for everyone.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
I've got Retro Games 'TheC64' mini and the full-size. The Mini did have some latency issues (which were improved with later updates), but the joystick was pretty awful.

The full size with the working keyboard is an amazing piece of kit, as in-use it feels very close to a real C64, especially as it has the proper keyboard, and firmware updates have added loads of functionality. It's saved me having to try to get my actual vintage C64 back up and running (it needs some hardware fixes, and the floppy drive no longer reads disks), and I can have my entire collection of C64 software on one USB stick. The joystick is much better too.

I hope the A500 mini will be just as functional as TheC64. The lack of a keyboard isn't as big a problem as with the C64 mini, as an A500 keyboard layout is much closer to a modern PC keyboard.

The only thing I would like the A500 mini to have is ADF support, but maybe that'll come later.

Soldato
It's worth noting that FPGA is expensive and rather niche. The Spectrum Next was £300+ when available, the Amiga Vampire standalone €600, an Analog NT is c.£300-400 in the UK and all of these aren't available. Even a fully fledged MiSTer setup is c.£300 once you factored in the IO board, memory, USB hub, PSU and case etc.

Both the SNES/NES Mini and theC64/Mini use commonly available emulation software and have been praised for their dashboards/built in software. At least The C64 has had a number of firmware updates adding new functionality. So on this it would appear Retro Games can be trusted. Nintendo have the advantage of being a much larger company and owning all the IP. I do think the A500 Mini is a bit pricey vs their C64 Mini, but it comes with more in the box.

I did buy a MiSTer late last year and that has been my recent weapon of choice for experiencing Amiga. I do think it's probably one of the best options for people wanting to go the FPGA route, but there needs to be some realism, in that you aren't going to see a £120 FPGA console.

I've used WinUAE, Amibian/Amiberry, RetroPie, Pimiga and AmiKit (on Linux and Windows) over the years. Also have Amiga Forever 8 (I think 9 is out now). For me using these to play old games, or play around in Workbench (have 1/2/3.x and 3.1.4) there has been little discernible differences (latency being the main thing). The Amiga demos can sometimes not look as smooth but again it feels like nit-picking. I think for most people emulation is fine. Particularly for just trying old games. The Amiga can require a bit more cost and effort to setup than other formats. For example buying legal versions of the Kickstart and Workbench OS.

One main advantage of emulation is the speed. If you using something like HstWB Installer, emulation can compile installation packages much, much faster. And I imagine that would be true of programming and DPaint usage etc.

There are modern projects like AmiKit that are fantastic. Attempts to give the Amiga OS a more modern, and usable OS. There something to be said for it running on it's own box (whether that be a Raspberry Pi or whatever) and I can see why people mention the best Amiga is a Raspberry Pi. Obviously real hardware is very cool too, but will come with costs, maintenance, modern upgrades etc. And therefore not be for everyone.

Hope that helps.
Is Pimiga on a Pi400 the way to go instead on WinUAE?
Is the Pi400 capable of running Amiga AGA and CD32 games?
Thanks

Associate
Is Pimiga on a Pi400 the way to go instead on WinUAE?

I think it depends on what you are looking for, but personally I've always found running Amiga emulation on a separate box to be more interesting. Funnily enough I watched the Pimiga 2.0 Youtube video tonight and it looks very cool (I tried a very early version 1.2b on a RPi 3b where performance wasn't as good). Hard not to appreciate all the hard work that has gone into that project and goes way, way beyond anything someone with a more casual interest is going to be able to setup. That said the Pi has numerous options to run the Amiga, so you can always default back to UAE on something like Amiberry for a more 'classic' experience. I guess the main negative vs WinUAE is the cost of the RPi400 etc.

Is the Pi400 capable of running Amiga AGA and CD32 games?
Thanks

Yes. Tbf even the older Pi's can do that.

Soldato
I'm getting more and more tempted to buy one of these. Even though the keybaord is non working it still may be fun to check out some older games I used to play on my 500+

I then think itll be another console like my Megadrive which I spent a fair amound of money on but it sits under the TV un-used. Maybe 2 weeks of use, then no more

The WHDload part of the Mini 500 is interesting and sound like it's much easier to use than a PI / other device or using WinUAE

A working keyboard, something like the A600 keyboard would have been useful and would have 100% bought it. I'm about 50/50 at the moment on pre-ordering

Associate
I then think itll be another console like my Megadrive which I spent a fair amound of money on but it sits under the TV un-used. Maybe 2 weeks of use, then no more

The WHDload part of the Mini 500 is interesting and sound like it's much easier to use than a PI / other device or using WinUAE

Yea, WHDLoad is very cool irrespective of platform; real, emulation or FPGA. And now freeware. I think that's one of the things with the Amiga, between Kickstart ROMS, Workbench, ADF and WHDLoad games it can be more work to setup that some other old formats. As you say the A500 Mini should be much easier to use, particularly for people that simply just want to plug something in and play.

Soldato
Yea, WHDLoad is very cool irrespective of platform; real, emulation or FPGA. And now freeware. I think that's one of the things with the Amiga, between Kickstart ROMS, Workbench, ADF and WHDLoad games it can be more work to setup that some other old formats. As you say the A500 Mini should be much easier to use, particularly for people that simply just want to plug something in and play.
I guess a big cost part of the 500 mini is licensed kick roms for the 500 and 1200. Are others supported as im sure i read cd32 was supported on the a500 mini?

It does take a lot of time to configure each game to make it play correctly (sound right with no stuttery sound, game lag or input)
It says this emulates perfectly, I might buy it and if theres any lag or stutter then it can be returned.

I di fear itll go the same way as my megadrive and other retro devicss though. Use for a few weeks then sat doing nothing. Still, playing Turrican II emulated ‘perfectly’ would be fun.
Can quickshot usb joysticks be purchased? Or serial to usb adapters. A good joystick or 2 for this would be nice

edit - something like this needed?

https://monsterjoysticks.com/9-pin-joystick-to-usb-adapter

…Or just connect a usb joystick. I also have things like 2 official snes pads to single usb adapter.
Mini bluetooth keyboard too which ive found the usb adapter for it but not the keyboard.
Would serve quite well for general use on the A500 mini presuming bluetooth works

Last edited:
Associate
I guess a big cost part of the 500 mini is licensed kick roms for the 500 and 1200. Are others supported as im sure i read cd32 was supported on the a500 mini?...

The Retro Games website states the A500, A600 & A1200 (so OCE/ECS/AGA chipsets). The CD32 was an A1200/AGA machine with a few chip differences and CD-ROM drive but it's feasible given how easy it is to emulate the CD32.

The C64 used a version of V.I.C.E. so I suspect they will probably use a version of UAE. Nintendo and M2 did do some tweaking for their mini consoles, but I'm not sure Retro Games will tweak individual ROMS on the A500 mini, just probably hand-pick the games as much as they can. Given the SoC/Linux/USB/HDMI nature of this device there will be lag, that's unavoidable. For most people the latency isn't that noticeable, particularly the casual audience this is mostly aimed at.

You can buy Speedlink's Competition Pro which were re-released in 2018 and are selling for about £23 atm. The latest one is called the Competition Pro Extra and is a fantastic stick and very close to the feel of the original Competition Pros from back in the day. These work with The C64/The VIC20 so very good chance these work with the A500 Mini (indeed lots of USB controllers do). I have seen the community getting USB adapters working for The C64/The VIC20 but I imagine that will be less guaranteed than native USB controller support. Again with things like 8Bitdo controllers, PS4 or Xbox controllers there's bound to be some decent support for third-party controllers on the A500 Mini - even if not initially.

Soldato
Thanks @Timber
This is quite some statement re the emulation "Featuring perfect emulation of not only the original A500 but also the Advanced Graphics Architecture (AGA) of the A1200."

If it is perfect, then it would be exactly the same as having an A500 or A1200 machine. I have personally never managed to get games like Super Stardust AGA working on WinUAE as I remember it being back in the day when I bought it for my A500+ (only for it not to work so took it to my friends house who had an A1200) Maybe im using the wrong settings, guess so but this device *may* save ballsing around with emulation settings for hours

Might get one of the new Speedlink's Competition Pro sticks :)

Associate
Thanks @TimberIf it is perfect, then it would be exactly the same as having an A500 or A1200 machine. I have personally never managed to get games like Super Stardust AGA working on WinUAE as I remember it being back in the day when I bought it for my A500+ (only for it not to work so took it to my friends house who had an A1200) Maybe im using the wrong settings, guess so but this device *may* save ballsing around with emulation settings for hours

No worries. It won't be perfect, no emulation ever is. That said emulation is going to be good enough for most - same as it was with good emulation boxes like: The C64, Mega Drive Mini, NES/SNES Mini etc.

I bought one of those Speedlink Comp Pro's back when they came out and I've been using with 8-bit/16-bit computer cores on MiSTer. Although I'd be honest and admit I tend to prefer joypads these days. But it's a great re-release of a classic.

Soldato
I wonder if it will emulate the floppy disk read speed, ie terribly slow. Or if it will run faster but more prone to crashes.
True perfect emulation of the a500 would take 15 mins to load a game then hit a guru meditation error :rolleyes::o:cry:
Something like an ‘everdrive amiga’ for original hardware would be nice…similar to my mega everdrive x7

Back
Top Bottom