What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Sonic The Hedgehog - 4/10

The film version of wallpaper paste. It looks fine, the cast is alright, it is utterly and instantly forgettable. Everything that Detective Pikachu got right this didn't.

Soldato
I quite fancy watching The Last Duel and hear it's on Disney+ now. Can anyone tell me if it's free with the sub? I might sign up and rinse a few things over the Christmas hols.

Thanks.

Associate
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021) - 7/10

A brilliant first half of a movie which unfortunately skips over almost all of the good stuff.

It manages to capture the artistic vision and atmosphere of the video games perfectly, apart from the characters looking very little like their counterparts, and has some great moments of suspense, horror and even humour. But apart from the build-up, there’s nothing else to it, missing out huge chunks of the source material and if you’re not a fan, it’s going to seem like a slow paced and dull zombie movie.

Good acting and monster effects but the mash up of the two stories and limited character development makes it a bit of a wasted opportunity to bring the source material to a wider audience.

Caporegime
Paycheck - 5/10

I love it when entire movies are based around a central concept that makes no sense. Like being able to see inside buildings by bending light (around the entire universe, yeah, ok then).

It's a popcorn action movie but it feels super, super contrived the whole way through. And the ending contradicts the entire canon of the film just so they can have the happy ending audiences crave (apparently). Also, like the A-Team, millions of rounds are fired and nobody gets hit. Like full on submachine guns spraying all over the shop and not a single person ever gets hit. That'll be the 12A rating, then. Why even bother?

Associate
Once Upon a Time in America 5/10

Starts well, and then goes on and on, 4 hours! Persevered and shouldn't have bothered. I now wish I had watched either The Godfather or The Untouchables again.

Caporegime
Once Upon a Time in America 5/10

Starts well, and then goes on and on, 4 hours! Persevered and shouldn't have bothered. I now wish I had watched either The Godfather or The Untouchables again.

I found it very slow as well, I did enjoy it during various parts but I can't say it's one I wish to revisit.

Soldato
The Last Duel - 7½/10 (free on Disney+)

The Last Duel (2021) - 8/10

A relatively long story which didn’t feel long

It's funny, I was thinking almost the opposite. It's actually a very short event, with some context applied around it, but as you mention it gets lengthened as we see it from different angles. I like stories that do the different angle thing, but I couldn't help thinking they weren't massively different in this case.

First run through you're thinking 'damn, Jacques Le Gris is a rapist?! How does that come about? Second run through you're thinking, 'damn, okay, he is a rapist... I thought it might be something more suspicious' and then third run through you just kinda get more story.

I assume it was based of each persons written accounts of the events, so you're limited as a creator by the facts given to you?

It was a good watch though.

Soldato
Circle (2015) - Netflix - 8/10

Not to be confused with (The Circle) with Emma Watson. But this film was quite a fun concept. 50 people wake up in an alien room, all standing on a red circle that they can not leave. Every two minutes someone is chosen to die and they soon learn they have the power to vote for who that person should be.

It's like the weakest link on steroids. Quite a good human morality situation. Well worth a watch.

Soldato
Venom 2, also going 5/10 Some funny stuff, some good set pieces but just not that great. They kinda setup for a third but I doubt there's enough wind in the sales from this one to make it.

Soldato
The Last Duel - 7½/10 (free on Disney+)

It's funny, I was thinking almost the opposite. It's actually a very short event, with some context applied around it, but as you mention it gets lengthened as we see it from different angles. I like stories that do the different angle thing, but I couldn't help thinking they weren't massively different in this case.

First run through you're thinking 'damn, Jacques Le Gris is a rapist?! How does that come about? Second run through you're thinking, 'damn, okay, he is a rapist... I thought it might be something more suspicious' and then third run through you just kinda get more story.

I assume it was based of each persons written accounts of the events, so you're limited as a creator by the facts given to you?

It was a good watch though.
Thought it was alright, the best part was the duel itself. Ridley Scott knows how to do a visceral fight that’s for sure! Brilliant.
Found the story a little off and some of the acting and accents were somewhat… wonky.

Associate
How come I cannot find the last duel on disney+ or its star service? I have searched for it and it does not come up in any search results. Anyone any idea?

Edit: So I contacted customer service and they had to refresh my account to get it to show!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom