• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700k to 12700k worth it or wait.

Soldato
OP
I changed from a 9900k at 5.1Ghz to a 12700k and with the cheapest DDR4 board I could find at the time, the MSI Z690 Pro non WiFi. I had already seen a few vids about that board and it did seem good to go.

I have only just finished building it up, the 12700k is still at stock and will probably remain so for some time.

For me and my needs I was focussing more on CPU types of games where it can be somewhat difficult to measure an improvement.

As a rough guide I saw.........

This is with my 9900k running at 5.1 Ghz..........

before.jpg

38 FPS.

If I dropped from 1440p to 1080p the performance would be exactly the same. The game is more orientated around IPS and does not use multi cores very well.

This is directly after my build and with zero overclock.....................

after.jpg

so from 38 to 52 FPS and around a 33% increase, not good at Maths tho.

The game is Workers and Resources Soviet Republic. Whilst that is only one, not very exact, measurement I am hoping that Cities Skylines, Civ type games and the campaign maps of Total War games, turn based, will improve.

I just would not have thought that I would have seen such an improvement from a 9900k overclocked to 5.1Ghz to a stock 12700k.

The E cores do get used in other games..................Civ VI......

pcores.png

I'm happy enough with my early findings - of course I'm always happy after a build when the PC goes through POST...................!

The Windows 11 install from my Z390 was used for the Z690 build, installing the chipset drivers just before the change. All seems well once reactivated.

Appreciate this vimes thanks bud, certainly a nice improvement there! i'm so tempted to just pull the trigger and move to AlderLake.

Soldato
Appreciate this vimes thanks bud, certainly a nice improvement there! i'm so tempted to just pull the trigger and move to AlderLake.

You're welcome.
As you have already committed to buying a 6900XT couldn't that be held back somewhat by your current CPU..? Your 2070 seemed more aligned with your 8700k..?
But it could be all good, for your needs.
I didn't bother about DDR5, seems a waste of money for the premium it costs, as well as having DDR4 memory already.

Soldato
OP
The 6900xt is certainly held back by the 8700k :( i was about to check out with a 12700k and the Asus strix D4, but can't see an option for delivery for tomorrow :( i thought sure that OCUK were doing a Saturday deliveries.

Soldato
Monday to Friday for their delivery options. Also I used to think that loyal members not only got free shipping but also free next day shipping. That also isn't the case all the time.

I see you are getting a full fat motherboard :D

Soldato
OP
Monday to Friday for their delivery options. Also I used to think that loyal members not only got free shipping but also free next day shipping. That also isn't the case all the time.

I see you are getting a full fat motherboard :D

Yeah i get the free shipping and such :) well i've ordered, slight changed of plan though, change the CPU to the 12600Kf, along with the Asus Strix D4, i'd rather save the £100 difference going to the 12700Kf, after speaking to a friend that's moved from a 8086k @5.1 to the 12600k, he's extremely pleased with the performance increase, so i'll give it a go too.

Exciting times, know i need to just figure out moving to windows 11, doesn't windows go crazy if you swap out Hardware and enter the same key? what's my best course of action guys, i'd like a fresh install tbh.

Soldato
Yeah i get the free shipping and such :) well i've ordered, slight changed of plan though, change the CPU to the 12600Kf, along with the Asus Strix D4, i'd rather save the £100 difference going to the 12700Kf, after speaking to a friend that's moved from a 8086k @5.1 to the 12600k, he's extremely pleased with the performance increase, so i'll give it a go too.

Exciting times, know i need to just figure out moving to windows 11, doesn't windows go crazy if you swap out Hardware and enter the same key? what's my best course of action guys, i'd like a fresh install tbh.

Good luck. I didn't need a key as the OS is linked to my account. Windows 11 was no longer activated and it took an hour or so for their activation servers to give me the option to then re-register it . I did this and all is fine.

I didn't bother with a fresh install, I see no need at all. Kinda fills me with dread thinking about that. Not the time to do the install but the time to configure everything and all the apps etc.

Soldato
OP
I just switched to a 12700k and the rog strix D4, did a fresh install, and even though the key is apparently linked to your account, i had to put in a new key for it to activate. No worries though as i used a win7 key i bought in 2017 and ended up with activated win 11 pro :D. I just figured a fresh install better going from Amd (2600x) to intel, plus it cleans out all the old drivers.
I have a custom loop cooling chip and GPU
board.jpg
The board looks great, I thought it was white but it appears silver?

Associate
Something I'm finding really annoying is the Corsair H115i Pro RGB which doesn't support Alder Lake. Apparently, it's because Corsair doesn't work with Asetek anymore. A pain I can't use my existing cooler though.

Soldato
OP
Something I'm finding really annoying is the Corsair H115i Pro RGB which doesn't support Alder Lake. Apparently, it's because Corsair doesn't work with Asetek anymore. A pain I can't use my existing cooler though.
Funny you should mention this, had all my stuff delivered today, set about building it, even ordered the retro fit kit from corsair for my h150i Pro rgb, didn't realise there was a difference between the pro and xt, but there must be, doesn't work, the stand offs don't have enough on them to ensure a tight fit onto the cpu, just loads of play in it between the stand offs and back plate.
Extremely frustrating tbh, wasted most of my night trying to figure out a solution.
To that end, I need a new cpu cooler that'll just fit and work.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just made this very switch (Delidded 8700k to the 12700k with the Asus STRIX Z690-A D4). Early impressions are positive. As a previous poster said, I've noticed about a 25 FPS increase in the broken mess that is BF2042. Not yet played around with overclock settings but that will be a task for this week.

My 8700k has been handed down to my 10 year old to spend the rest of its days playing Minecraft and Brickrigs :cry:

Soldato
Funny you should mention this, had all my stuff delivered today, set about building it, even ordered the retro fit kit from corsair for my h150i Pro rgb, didn't realise there was a difference between the pro and xt, but there must be, doesn't work, the stand offs don't have enough on them to ensure a tight fit onto the cpu, just loads of play in it between the stand offs and back plate.
Extremely frustrating tbh, wasted most of my night trying to figure out a solution.
To that end, I need a new cpu cooler that'll just fit and work.

Feel your pain, I had a RGB pro and had to upgrade, though it was clear on their website the standoffs don't work on this model and only the XT afterwards, I've changed to the LCD version now which is pretty nice.

Soldato
I've just made this very switch (Delidded 8700k to the 12700k with the Asus STRIX Z690-A D4). Early impressions are positive. As a previous poster said, I've noticed about a 25 FPS increase in the broken mess that is BF2042. Not yet played around with overclock settings but that will be a task for this week.

My 8700k has been handed down to my 10 year old to spend the rest of its days playing Minecraft and Brickrigs :cry:

I get the feeling it was more the case of the 8700k holding back our 3090 which is where the performance has been unlocked rather than the CPU performance itself, or maybe both. I do see much higher GPU usage now in game, it's constant 95%+ whereas before it'll flying between 80-95%.

Associate
I recently got a Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited edition too, have you tried overclocking it? Also with BF 2042 I keep getting driver crash constantly and i've tried everything to fix it, still to no avail. I get the direct X Function "Getdeviceremovereason" error :(

Soldato
OP
I recently got a Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited edition too, have you tried overclocking it? Also with BF 2042 I keep getting driver crash constantly and i've tried everything to fix it, still to no avail. I get the direct X Function "Getdeviceremovereason" error :(
Hiya bud, yeah I've tried overclocking it, first I used the Radeon software, enabled all the tuning features but just increased power limit to +15%, in Timespy standard that gave me a stock score on gpu of about 22300.
You can use Trixx software and enable Toxic mode which raises the max clocks to 2660, thr memory to 2100mhz for a simple boost.
Further to that, I've had a play in MPT, using LtMatts numbers to increase powerlimit, 450w, 425TDC and 60 SOC.
This allowed me to bump up the clocks to min 2660 - max 2760, fast timings on memory, again in timespy this gave me a gpu score of about 24k, there's still plenty more in the tank I feel, but it'll require some voltage to get there, so for the time being I've left it until I'm up and running on the new system (Alderlake build) which should be completed today.
The 8700k I had even at 5ghz was holding the card back.
In regards to Bf2042, it's a mess tbh, but if it helps, the settings I'm using are all ultra, 1440p 165hz,
Future frame and vsync off.
In radeon software:
2560 min 2660 max
2100mhz mem, Fast timings
Powerlimit +15%

This has been stable for me, avg core speed is about 2640, normally over 100fps avg.

Anything else I can help with let me know.

Soldato
OP
Feel your pain, I had a RGB pro and had to upgrade, though it was clear on their website the standoffs don't work on this model and only the XT afterwards, I've changed to the LCD version now which is pretty nice.
Honestly bud a proper ball ache, yeah saw the incompatibility but just thought I'd give it a go, I wasn't sure on the differences with the XT, but I couldn't see much.
Fingers crossed it all works when it arrives today, are you using Windows 11? If so how are you finding it?

Associate
Hiya bud, yeah I've tried overclocking it, first I used the Radeon software, enabled all the tuning features but just increased power limit to +15%, in Timespy standard that gave me a stock score on gpu of about 22300.
You can use Trixx software and enable Toxic mode which raises the max clocks to 2660, thr memory to 2100mhz for a simple boost.
Further to that, I've had a play in MPT, using LtMatts numbers to increase powerlimit, 450w, 425TDC and 60 SOC.
This allowed me to bump up the clocks to min 2660 - max 2760, fast timings on memory, again in timespy this gave me a gpu score of about 24k, there's still plenty more in the tank I feel, but it'll require some voltage to get there, so for the time being I've left it until I'm up and running on the new system (Alderlake build) which should be completed today.
The 8700k I had even at 5ghz was holding the card back.
In regards to Bf2042, it's a mess tbh, but if it helps, the settings I'm using are all ultra, 1440p 165hz,
Future frame and vsync off.
In radeon software:
2560 min 2660 max
2100mhz mem, Fast timings
Powerlimit +15%

This has been stable for me, avg core speed is about 2640, normally over 100fps avg.

Anything else I can help with let me know.

Thanks for that buddy. I'll give your settings a go and hopefully that should reduce my crashes. I'm really surprised 8700K was holding you back. It isn't a slouch of a CPU. I'm running a 10900k @5.2GHZ with it. I game at 1440p @ 165HZ.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that buddy. I'll give your settings a go and hopefully that should reduce my crashes. I'm really surprised 8700K was holding you back. It isn't a slouch of a CPU. I'm running a 10900k @5.2GHZ with it. I game at 1440p @ 165HZ.
No worries bud, yeah I was surprised too tbh, but it's definitely is, not by a huge margin, though, but spending this sort of money on a graphics card I was it firing in all cylinders lol.

Soldato
Honestly bud a proper ball ache, yeah saw the incompatibility but just thought I'd give it a go, I wasn't sure on the differences with the XT, but I couldn't see much.
Fingers crossed it all works when it arrives today, are you using Windows 11? If so how are you finding it?

Yeah W11 has a handful of annoying features or things missing but it'll soon be patched in the next 6 months, but other than not theres not a great deal of difference

Back
Top Bottom