Commodore Amiga owners thread!

Associate
During the 80s I wasn't allowed my own computer, then I was eventually allowed and got a BBC Micro which was dated tech by Christmas 1989 but I loved it. If you want to create an obsession in a person, stop them from doing that thing ;)

The following Christmas I got an A500 after probably talking about it for a whole year lol only time I got to use one before then was through school friends.

Then bought myself an A1200 in 1994-95, with 200MB HDD, upgraded everything, 030, FPU, 4MB fast ram, multi-sync CRT monitor, CD-ROM, modem for BBS and fidonet and this thing called the internet. Good times.

Sold my Amiga stuff about 5 years ago as it hadn't been touched, later regretted that. I was looking to get one again but they are increasingly rare and expensive. I wanted to get a cherry switches mod but that project seemed to be on hold or cancelled. Heard about MiSTer and got that, plus a CRT which are also becoming rare and expensive. Best retro set up ever short of original hardware, this thing is incredible. Recommended!

The Amiga was and still is my favourite computer to use, play and mess about with. I've made my own 'top 400' games collection with a mix of games I loved and new ones I want to check out for the first time.

Soldato
I have an Amiga 1000 sans monitor (the monitor was faulty so I gave it away years ago), with a 2mb external expansion and an additional original Amiga floppy drive. I'm wondering if that's worth selling.

It's in pretty good condition otherwise, apart from the cord on the mouse being a bit twisted and one of the keys on the keyboard has less travel.

Soldato
I've got hold of a cheapish Amiga 500 (not plus), the plan was to put in a Gotek USB drive and just do some retro computing and Soundtracker music as I used to do. The machine isn't damaged at all but pretty filthy/slightly yellow and smells of smoke, but the main thing is that the warranty labels and all intact and I feel guilty breaking them after 30+ years. Should I lock this away and buy another that has been opened? Guide me. :D

Man of Honour
I've got hold of a cheapish Amiga 500 (not plus), the plan was to put in a Gotek USB drive and just do some retro computing and Soundtracker music as I used to do. The machine isn't damaged at all but pretty filthy/slightly yellow and smells of smoke, but the main thing is that the warranty labels and all intact and I feel guilty breaking them after 30+ years. Should I lock this away and buy another that has been opened? Guide me. :D

I think you don't want a pile of unworking junk and the more Amiga's we having in good working order is important. Get those caps changed. I sent my A1200 off for a very reasonable price and will be good for as long as I live.

Soldato
I think you don't want a pile of unworking junk and the more Amiga's we having in good working order is important. Get those caps changed. I sent my A1200 off for a very reasonable price and will be good for as long as I live.
I wasn't going to bother with the caps, as the 500 doesn't have the problematic SMT caps that the 600/1200 etc do and people seem to recommend leaving them.

Soldato
Stripped the 500 down today, so goodbye warranty seals. It was absolutely minging inside but after a good vacuum clean, and the case/keys in the dishwasher it's come up well. The case is a bit yellow so I might retrobright it in the summer, but otherwise it's immaculate. Waiting for my Gotek to arrive before reassembly and I'm 3d printing the bracket for it now.

Man of Honour
I wasn't going to bother with the caps, as the 500 doesn't have the problematic SMT caps that the 600/1200 etc do and people seem to recommend leaving them.

Oh I forgot that was the case. All good then! This will look great on a nice 13inch CRT Monitor. I have a 1084S.

Soldato
I thought they are/were the same thing.

You would call it a Commodore A1200 or Amiga 1200.

However, looking at the site, the difference is Premium and Standard offerings. The quality of the replacement caps are the difference here.

Associate
I got my first Amiga 500 with the Batman Pack back in early 91 as a little kid for my birthday and although yellowed today, it still works!

My A1200 is from the Magic Pack and in great condition together with the Magic Box itself, and I even got the freaking Amiga shipping box here :D
Amiga3.jpg

I also have the Amiga CD32 with the rare SX32 Pro expansion that basically turns it into a faster (68030 25/50Mhz, MMU/FPU) A1200.
It's currently packaged away after moving places but I do have a picture of the expansion below.
Amiga-Box2.jpg

Amiga-Box1.jpg

Amiga 1011 diskdrive manufactured in April 91
Amiga-Drive.jpg

Basic WB setup with 4MB and HD
RandomA5.jpg

CD32 SX32 from 1996
SX32%20Pro%20Expansion.jpg

Associate
The A1200 shipping box protected this but it also helps having some big closets in the house :p
I think early on as a kid I began protecting my game boxes, like I started putting some in a glass cabinet to protect them from dust.

Some game boxes :)
Amiga-Games.jpg

Amiga-Games1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom