Hot but not boiling water for coffee

Soldato
I notice a lot of instant coffees say to use hot but not boiling water when making a coffee. So how long after boiling the kettle are you supposed to leave it to cool and does it actually make a difference?

Associate
I think if you’re making instant it really won’t be making much difference. Theoretically in forms with ground coffee you’re going to affect the extraction

Soldato
Around 92-93c is ideal for ground coffee. But in reality for instant. By the time the kettle has settled down after clicking off and youve put the instant in your cup. It wont be far off that anyhow

Soldato
usually open the lid of the kettle and wait for the bubbling to stop - I dunno if that's enough to reduce the temp or if it makes any difference, but that's what I do :p

Soldato
I notice a lot of instant coffees say to use hot but not boiling water when making a coffee. So how long after boiling the kettle are you supposed to leave it to cool and does it actually make a difference?
I find some instants end up with a kind of burnt taste if you use boiling water.
I read somewhere that the ideal temperature is around 87ºC, but have no idea how true that is... I just put the kettle on, do summat else for a minute and then pour in the water at some point after it's stopped bubbling, really. Camping mentality.

Associate
I used to do this when i wanted to reduce the temperature of boiling water when i used to make matcha tea. I would pour the boiling water into a cup and use that cup to pour it into the cup with matcha. I find it reduces the temperature abit.

Caporegime
just add some cold water. I think for coffee around 90c was best and boiling is 100c.

just add around 5-10% cold water and your golden or just wait 10seconds :p

In reality if you boil the water then get a cup, put the coffee and sugar inside it etc the water is probably about optimal anyway.

doubt there's any taste difference at all.

with real coffee I guess if the waters too hot you get more tannins and more acidic taste

Back
Top Bottom