• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Switching Same Brand GPU's Inquiry

Associate
Heya guys and girls, I have a 12700k system coming and I was going to leave it gpuless til I can eventually pick one up as I really didn't want to faff about by removing the 1080gtx from my current system and putting my old 670gtx in then putting the 1080 back if/when I eventually hit the stock lottery and manage to pick a 30 series card up.

If I do decide to switcheroo things will I have to uninstall gpu drivers beforehand or will it just pick the 670 up?

Current installed drivers are 382.53 (Tried updating once to 390.65, all went to hell in a handbasket, rolled back and never tried again)

Last edited:
Soldato
All you need to do is download the new drivers first keep them on your desktop. Then remove the old drivers, remove the old card, then install new card and install the latest drivers and choose custom install and choose clean install to remove any old settings that may still be there.

@alphaomega16

Associate
OP
I would do a fresh install the 3080 will have features that mite not be available with older drivers.

I don't have a 30 series card, I am just debating about whether or not to use the 1080gtx in my current system in new one and put old 670 gtx in this current PC or just keep the new system gpuless and save myself some driver hassle on current machine.

Soldato
You're absolutely fine just swapping them over. It will pick it up no issues. I did it myself just yesterday actually, swapping out a newer card for a GTX 970. We're a long way past the days when things like that would blow up your system.

Caporegime
A lot of rubbish here. I went from 1080 to 2070 Super with just a reboot.

Went into device manager, right clicked my 1080, chose 'uninstall' and canceled the reboot. Shut down, removed old card, installed new card, booted back up. Windows identified the card and I performed a clean driver install with the latest drivers. No DDU, no reinstall. You don't need to do that.

Man of Honour
Heya guys and girls, I have a 12700k system coming and I was going to leave it gpuless til I can eventually pick one up as I really didn't want to faff about by removing the 1080gtx from my current system and putting my old 670gtx in then putting the 1080 back if/when I eventually hit the stock lottery and manage to pick a 30 series card up.

If I do decide to switcheroo things will I have to uninstall gpu drivers beforehand or will it just pick the 670 up? [..]

You'll almost certainly be OK just changing cards. Assuming you disconnect your PC first, of course (physically or by a switch on the wall or PSU). If you just shut down Windows, there's still power to your PC. But in the context of software, it should be fine nowadays. You probably won't even need to reinstall drivers with a clean install (although personally I would). IME, such things are much more robust and accomodating than they were in the past.

Back
Top Bottom