Spec me 2.0/1

Soldato
I don't really know speakers outside of the PC aimed ones I don't want to use anymore. I had some Logitech Z623 that buzz all the time after 2 years so got rid of them.
I am happy to have 2.0 if they produce enough bass so I don't miss a subwoofer, or allow me to add a sub later on.
I don't want passive ones either as cba with getting an amp too and all the extra wires, I will be connecting them to a Soundblaster G6 which has line/optical in.

I saw Edifier S350DB that looked fine but wasn't a big fan of the adjustment knobs being on the side of the speaker, plus they use a propriety connector just like the ones I had did. Outside of the logitech world, what bookshelf speakers are people using preferably active ones?

Edit: Budget max £500

Triangle Elara LN01A look nice + are wireless

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd probably recommend a AVR and stereo speakers, rather than active speakers- that way add center, rears, sub etc as needed.

Something like Q Acoustics 3020i and a budget Yamaha AVR.

Soldato
For £500 you could get some very good active monitors.
No point messing with amp, speakers, cabling and AV stuff.
I went from amp & huge speakers to iLoud micro monitors in bedroom and a Naim Muso in the lounge

What’s you use case? - music, audio production, gaming, youtube, movies, anything other?

Soldato
Nothing wrong with either choice, however seperates mean you can chop and change amp and speakers anytime, add subwoofer. Also have remote control, bass managment, room correction, DSP (Surround etc) and have multiple HDMI inputs.

Active speakers will typically have one input, no remote control, no room correction. But they'll be actively bi-amped, which is good. However because the amp is part of the speakers if the amp fails then looking at sourcing the same amp panel. Personally I don't like this design because if it becomes obselete you're left with useless speakers. The same reason I would prefer passive subwoofers rather than active subs (which unfortuantly all you can buy now is active subs)

Soldato
OP
My nephew has some Yamaha HS5 for his amateur music stuff. I believe I'd need an interface like the Schiit DAC that has XLR Outputs and can plug to PC via USB. Not a route I'd considered previously but I was surprised at the prices of the studio stuff.
The 3020i look fine too, Im pretty sure at a certain price point anything will blow my old logitechs out the water.

Use case is purely listening to music. I don't want to wear my headphones all day.

Soldato
My nephew has some Yamaha HS5 for his amateur music stuff. I believe I'd need an interface like the Schiit DAC that has XLR Outputs and can plug to PC via USB. Not a route I'd considered previously but I was surprised at the prices of the studio stuff.
The 3020i look fine too, Im pretty sure at a certain price point anything will blow my old logitechs out the water.

Use case is purely listening to music. I don't want to wear my headphones all day.

I have 3010i as Atmos heights. They're pretty good but need a sub to do the low stuff. Something like wharfedale diamond sw-150?

Certainly with bigger speakers like 3030i won't need a sub.

I'm using ruark etude with sw-150 sub and Yamaha avr for pc system..

Soldato
OP
I saw the Ruarks are very highly rated but aesthetics come into it for me and sadly they don't cut it for what I'm looking for there.
I really like the look of those 3030i and I'd like the option to add a subwoofer if I don't find the bass enough but I don't really understand much about amps and certainly the ones I looked at seemed to take up all of my budget just for that.

Saw this but don't get how I connect it to pc.

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision...kdtvtbAROC2aK9QdoilGvPEaNqxd4y7EaAgexEALw_wcB

Would I run that into my G6 DAC still

Soldato
If the G6 DAC has line level out, yeah just use cables from that into a spare input on the NAD. Be aware the NAD doesn't have bass managment, room correction, HDMI inputs, DSP, Dolby/DTS decoding. It's just a stereo integrated amp. Which generally have better sound quality, but lack the features of a AVR.

If you buy a sub it will have to have high level inputs, and you will have to adjust the subs own crossover and get the two blended in. Plus the speakers won't be bass managed so they'll be sent full range. Which'll be fine, but there are positives in filtering low bass directing to the sub with AVR/standmount speakers. Probably use 80hz setting for this.

Soldato
OP
Yep you've lost me there lol. I'm currently really interested in the Mackie CR8 though thats mainly because I like the green accent on them and also easy to connect to my pc. Unfortunately though it seems the current ones have green around the outside and not the actual speakers which I saw first.

Soldato
OP
Ah come on, anything looks better than the Ruarks ;)

New ones don't look like that. Honestly it's a minefield, who knows what I will end up with. Appreciate all your help so far!

Soldato
OP
Not sure about the CR8 but Mackie CR3 build quality and components look shocking - http://noaudiophile.com/Mackie_CR3/

I personally have iLoud micro monitors - http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/

Yes, I've done some more research and it seems these are kind of aimed people who like form over function.
There are a lot of options in my price range but Iike the convenience of the Mackies with the Bluetooth sub and easy connectivity to my existing DAC.

Presonus Eris appear frequently in these best budget monitor lists as do those ones you own. Eventually I'll have to just take a punt and hope I'm happy with it.

Associate
I really like the look of those 3030i and I'd like the option to add a subwoofer if I don't find the bass enough but I don't really understand much about amps and certainly the ones I looked at seemed to take up all of my budget just for that.

The 3030i are great speakers with good bass but the cabinets are huge (really deep compared to most). IMO Although they sound good as near field monitors they are too big for a normal sized desk. At that point you might as well get 3050s that sound better and have a similar footprint.

3020i/3020 would be better sized for a desk as they are quite a bit smaller although they aren't as bassy.

They also do q acoustics active speakers such as the m20 if you don't want a seperate amp.

I would suggest getting a decent mini hifi amp with an optical input (something like a denon dm41 or ceol) and a set of smaller bookshelves (second hand for best value) and it would probably be better than you are used to and not cost £500.

Back
Top Bottom