Do you like the end of the loaf?

Soldato
I was today years old when I realised not everyone calls the ends of the loaf, 'the crusts'. I genuinely thought that was one of those terms that was used universally.

Anyway... I love a crust. Great with soup or as toast.

Soldato
Internet adjudicates that outsider is a scottish term (freud would have a picnic) ...
but yes - it's the best bit for toast on wrapped bread , sometimes for sliced it can be too thick/thin if blade was badly adjusted ..
and for non-wrapped best bit to eat first, sometimes will cut a door-stop and share it.

square christmas cakes are another problem - the corner folks have to eat more icing. ... or the perennial brown/white/leg decision.

Permabanned
If it's a fresh bloomer or indeed any freshly made loaf It's the best part. If it's your standard 'Hovis' style then it'll likely get chucked or mixed into the dogs dinners. Also we call it the 'heel' which regularly makes my new partners skin crawl :)

Soldato
Only if it is referred to as the heel of the loaf.
Certainly not. The correct term is the topper.
We always called it the 'bread back'.

Odd, never heard of any of those terms before, it's always just been a crust for me. Any other colloquisms across the country out there?

And yea, agree with a lot of posters it's the best bit, especially on a fresh loaf but can be awful if you get a thin scraggly piece on a pre-sliced one.

Soldato
I am one of those heathens who keeps their supermarket sliced bread in the freezer and basically always leave the two crusts till last to be used for soup dunking or blitzed in a food processor to make crumbs for meatloaf. Sometimes I will end up with two or three bread bags in the freezer with just the two crusts in them if I am feeling especially lazy, which is quite regular to be honest.

Commissario
The crust is the best bit. When I take the fresh loaf out of the oven, it's a real struggle to not cut it off and slather it with butter while it's piping hot.

Sometimes I can't resist and cut it, I watch the rest of the loaf actually sag as the steam escapes.

Back
Top Bottom