• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
Very exciting times indeed

with Raptor lake at 24 cores, AMD shall n be d to push to higher count as well, less they lose the multi thread performance crown to Intel

That would only allow for 5 watts per core. I think AMD would still be ahead.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
It's certainly not worth 'getting a stiffy for' another 8 CPU cores that perform like lower clocked 10th generation Intel cores.

If they can squeeze out a bit more power efficiency, I'd have thought another 2/4 performance focused cores would impress reviewers and customers much more. Or just a large boost to L3 cache instead of E-cores.

I could be wrong, maybe Intel are only thinking about competing in multi-core performance.

If there's anything new released in 2022, perhaps it will share some features of Sapphire Rapids server CPUs.

We know Sapphire Rapids server CPUs will use 'Golden Cove' Cores like Alder Lake, so is Intel likely to put more advanced CPU cores in 'Raptor Lake' CPUs, released around the same time? I find it doubtful.

The server CPUs are scheduled to launch for Q2 2022, according to this article:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1679...-2022-q1-for-production-q2-for-ramp-h1-launch

EDIT - couldn't Raptor Lake just be a HEDT counterpart to Alder Lake CPUs, rather than mainstream desktop parts? That would imply quad channel memory support, and presumably higher L3 cache and higher core count for some models.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does anyone else think 'Raptor Lake' might actually be a HEDT counterpart to Alder Lake CPUs, with the same 'Golden Cove' cores?

We know the Sapphire Rapids server CPUs are due for mid 2022, equipped with the same 'Golden Cove' core architecture as Alder Lake /12th gen CPUs.

In terms of the HEDT market, you'd thought a new product was long overdue, and the 10nm yields are finally looking 'good'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone else think 'Raptor Lake' might actually be a HEDT counterpart to Alder Lake CPUs, with the same 'Golden Cove' cores?

We know the Sapphire Rapids server CPUs are due for mid 2022, equipped with the same 'Golden Cove' core architecture as Alder Lake /12th gen CPUs.

In terms of the HEDT market, you'd thought a new product was long overdue, and the 10nm yields are finally looking 'good'.

I thought you said Raptor lake isn't real

Soldato
OP
I think rumours have blown it out of proportion, or likely misrepresented what it is. It makes no sense to design a new core architecture, then release server processors with 'Golden Cove' cores.

Soldato
Raptor Lake is a slightly improved Alder Lake, how many times does it need to be said. It's like you just enjoy posting random thoughts, rather than using real data or information.

Soldato
I think rumours have blown it out of proportion, or likely misrepresented what it is.
Nobody has blown anything out of proportion. Raptor Lake is rumoured to be nothing more than a tweak to Golden Cove on the P Cores and doubling the number of unmodified Gracemont E cores. That's it. No new arch. If anybody's "blown it out of proportion" it's Intel because that alleged Golden Cove upgrade is called Raptor Cove. Good old Intel claiming everything is new, just like Skylake and its 4 derivatives. Raptor Cove is a new arch to Golden Cove in as much as Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Coffee Lake Refresh and Comet Lake are a new arch to Skylake.

It makes no sense to design a new core architecture, then release server processors with 'Golden Cove' cores.
Unless you consider the additional rumour that Golden Cove is not Golden Cove across the board. Server Golden Cove (and by extension the HEDT line) is suggested to be quite different to desktop Golden Cove. AMD are doing the same thing with Zen 4 and Zen 4C don't forget.

Soldato
It's certainly not worth 'getting a stiffy for' another 8 CPU cores that perform like lower clocked 10th generation Intel cores.

If they can squeeze out a bit more power efficiency, I'd have thought another 2/4 performance focused cores would impress reviewers and customers much more. Or just a large boost to L3 cache instead of E-cores.

I could be wrong, maybe Intel are only thinking about competing in multi-core performance.

If there's anything new released in 2022, perhaps it will share some features of Sapphire Rapids server CPUs.

We know Sapphire Rapids server CPUs will use 'Golden Cove' Cores like Alder Lake, so is Intel likely to put more advanced CPU cores in 'Raptor Lake' CPUs, released around the same time? I find it doubtful.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1679...-2022-q1-for-production-q2-for-ramp-h1-launch

EDIT - couldn't Raptor Lake just be a HEDT counterpart to Alder Lake CPUs, rather than mainstream desktop parts? That would imply quad channel memory support, and presumably higher L3 cache and higher core count for some models.

Raptor Lake seems about Intel extending their already considerable single thread advantage and finally taking back the multi-thread performance advantage.

Whether they will be able to do so, in the face of the refreshed Zen3, remains to be seen.

Soldato
OP
A HEDT series would allow them to charge about £1000 or more for the top model in the series, if the 'Cascade Lake-X' series is anything to go by. That would presumably be a model with 8-16 more cores than the 12900X and with more L3 cache.

If they could even release 'Raptor Lake' as a new desktop series on LGA1700, that would prevent them from selling a HEDT series for higher prices, since the core count would likely be the same.

The interesting bit, if they might be able to forgo the 'E-cores' entirely, in favour of all 'Golden Cove' cores. Power saving cores on a HEDT series would be a bit silly :)

As far as I can tell, Sapphire Rapids server CPUs have entirely Golden Cove cores...

Last edited:
Soldato
A HEDT series would allow them to charge about £1000 or more for the top model in the series, if the 'Cascade Lake-X' series is anything to go by. That would presumably be a model with 8-16 more cores than the 12900X and with more L3 cache.

If they could even release 'Raptor Lake' as a new desktop series on LGA1700, that would prevent them from selling a HEDT series for higher prices, since the core count would likely be the same.

The interesting bit, if they might be able to forgo the 'E-cores' entirely, in favour of all 'Golden Cove' cores. Power saving cores on a HEDT series would be a bit silly :)

As far as I can tell, Sapphire Rapids server CPUs have entirely Golden Cove cores...

We know Raptor Lake with 24 cores is coming, as we've even seen engineering samples submit benchmarks to databases etc.

Interesting idea about HEDT - though as we've had no leaks/news I doubt it's happening, though could just be a well guarded secret.

Soldato
Sapphire Rapids and W790 chipset are due Q2 '22 so the HEDT parts can't arrive sooner than that, if Intel want to compete in HEDT space they need to make sure it is a variant of the Xeons for the workstation market, not a platform based off the LGA1700 variant, which would be beaten all over by a Milan-X variation of Threadripper.

Soldato

Games don't need more than 8 performance cores and that will be the case until consoles get more than 8 cores - so just adding efficiency cores for multithreaded performance makes sense

Caporegime
Games don't need more than 8 performance cores and that will be the case until consoles get more than 8 cores - so just adding efficiency cores for multithreaded performance makes sense

It makes more sense just to have more decent cores. The efficiency cores are just a sticking plaster to cover for Intels inability to scale up performance core numbers as best I can see.

Apple's use of a small number of efficiency cores to dump all the background processes on makes sense. Sticking a shed load onto them to pad put the MT threaded performance of Intels 8 core CPUs makes less sense.

Back
Top Bottom