Laptop Speaker Recommendations

Soldato
Hi Guys

Looking for some laptop speaker recommendations:

- Not massive in size, because they are going on a smallish desk.
- Would like reasonable volume, but don't need very high volume.
- Would like some graphic equaliser functionality directly on the units, so I can turn the bass down if necessary.

Budget: don't want to go crazy, but prepared to pay for quality sound.

Some simple speakers will probably do me, connected direct to the headphone jack. However, if I wanted to spend more, what is the next step up? Is it buying an amp and connecting the speakers to that? What are examples of these amps?

Thanks

Soldato
I think these are the closest thing you will get to good 'desktop' type speakers. They put out great sound for their size, sound that would come from speaker 4x their size (based on comparison videos and reviews)

I spent a good week researching small speakers before selling my old amp and floor standers to fund them

edit - dont let the crappy company name put you off!

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/index.php?R=INIT&FV=iloud-micro-monitor-family-related-products&CV=Other Filter&PSEL=iloudmicromonitor

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Guys

Looking for some laptop speaker recommendations:

- Not massive in size, because they are going on a smallish desk.
- Would like reasonable volume, but don't need very high volume.
- Would like some graphic equaliser functionality directly on the units, so I can turn the bass down if necessary.

Budget: don't want to go crazy, but prepared to pay for quality sound.

Some simple speakers will probably do me, connected direct to the headphone jack. However, if I wanted to spend more, what is the next step up? Is it buying an amp and connecting the speakers to that? What are examples of these amps?

Thanks

What is your budget ? Also your laptop has a headphones out only no digital as stated by some here, so you need a 3.5mm jack speakers connected to the headphones socket unless you buy a usb to optical usb dongle.

These gigaworks t40 series ii are good for a small desk laptop use my partner uses them and they sound very good for two speakers without a sub and can get very loud but remain clear. They are currently on sale for £85 too, normally £110. Check some online reviews and you will see what I mean. For the price they are worth it, this coming from someone with professional Adam studio monitors and highend Focal speakers too for the ATMOS setup. Also they will work without any headaches (just plug them into the headphones socket on the laptop, they come with all cables needed) and have bass,treble and volume on the front so easy to control the sound.

Gigaworks t40 series ii :-

https://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/gigaworks-t40-series-ii

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies so far. Budget is anything from £10 to £300. I would like the facility to turn down the bass if necessary, hence I would spend more than £10 to get this. Listening is mainly YouTube videos with people talking, but it would be nice to have good sound for music.

In setup terms, what is the next step on from laptop speakers? You mention USB to optical USB dongle, so I get one of those, and then connect to a hi-fi amp and speakers?

Thanks

Soldato
Creative gigaworks t20.. Really good speakers for the size. But if your budget is 10 - 300 that doesn't really help lol.

In my laptop I use some 2.0 logi speakers that were about £25.. A lot better than laptop speakers.. But hi-fi they aint. Good for the money though as long as you don't crank the volume up... Then they sound awful.

T20's are a really good sounding speaker set with out spending hi-fi money.
They have a bass and a treble knob so you can dial it in pretty well to your preference.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies so far. Budget is anything from £10 to £300. I would like the facility to turn down the bass if necessary, hence I would spend more than £10 to get this. Listening is mainly YouTube videos with people talking, but it would be nice to have good sound for music.

In setup terms, what is the next step on from laptop speakers? You mention USB to optical USB dongle, so I get one of those, and then connect to a hi-fi amp and speakers?

Thanks
Just picked up another set of the Creative T40 MKII speakers and an iFi Zen DAC v2 and custom cable for well under your £300 budget, sound is amazing (run off my laptop) also fantastic headphone amp as well if needed?

That would be my choice, as just getting speakers you are still using the lame onboard soundcard that laptops come with, this way it's an upgrade all-round! :)

Back
Top Bottom