Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Spoke to VM about potentially upgrading to 1Gb as I've given up waiting for FTTP to arrive here any time soon.

Told them it was conditional on getting a Hub 5 but they wouldn't budge and instead went on and on about how the Hub 4 was great.

Won't accept a Hub 4, not only as I'd get reduced speeds (cba faffing with aggregation and would need extra kit) but I'm willing to bet it would then be almost impossible to get a 5 later, even when it's 'properly' released as they always resist sending out upgraded hardware 'unnecessarily'.

Alas, as I am out of contract, I doubt I'll be on the shortlist for a Hub 5 so will just have to wait until they release it properly next year then try again.

Associate
Speeds are fine with me only got one worry but it's not causing any speed issues

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Received-Hub4/td-p/4879981

Don't read that graph it was my error not the hubs.

I'm getting 455mb on my Poco x3 nfc, 255mb on my old Samsung tab2, the wife gets 318mb max on her Samsung tab a7 good enough speeds on wireless for us.

Coverage round the house is enough for now all firesticks work perfectly fine on 3 tv's, all alexas working fine.

Man of Honour
Sorry to burst your bubble lads about BT, but no complaints about Wi-Fi all complaints were hardwired. I was told a few months ago by an openreach engineer, I asked him can we get 900 yet his reply was no only 300 at the moment. He was fitting new boxes on the poles in our street one is just outside our house. I wanted to jump ship then but he mentioned about speed problems on the lines so it put me off, but he also said give it a few months let things settle then see if the speed issues have gone but they clearly haven't.
Openreach engineers won't have the slightest idea about anything but installing the fibre to the houses. They often make stuff up to look important. The only issues you read about with FTTP is BT profile issues on their network which from what I understand are mostly fixed now. So literally no idea what issues your neighbours are having but it's highly unlikely to be anything to do with the FTTP connection, it's a solid product.

Associate
Tell you what then you visit the few houses I did in my street and you then come back here and see how perfect their FTTP connections are. There is an issue on 6 houses I have asked there could be more but I'm not asking everyone in the street who is on FTTP, I am no service engineer so I believe the egineers who visit this street regularly. There is no solid product in any industry if BT sell a 900mb product people would see 900mb not be told your Your Stay Fast Guarantee of 450mb on a 900mb product, yes VM do the same again VM isn't and never will be a solid product. I am not willing to try it myself at this present time because of what I have seen not a one of them had a faster upload speed than what I can get myself so yes this so called solid product from BT isn't working correctly I have no idea why but I am not willing to jump ship until this so called solid product starts working better on my neighbours connections.

Until then I have to stay with VM £53 for 1gb and talk more anytime is good enough for me.

If I see improvements with their connections I would love to change over just not at this current time.

Man of Honour
Have any of those neighbours with issues actually rang up to see what the issue is? Sounds very much a profile issue if upload is stuck.

Not sure why you are getting properly defensive with comments like burst your bubble etc. We are trying to help you. I guess it hasn’t been received well so I’ll not bother replying any more.

Associate
Well I do apologise for the burst your bubble comment it wasn't meant to come across as aggressive my lack of punctuation didn't help, it was just towards everyone trying to big up something that wasn't.

Yes some have Chris and were told there is an issue with the lines, I'm seeing more and more openreach vans in our street every other week it's not been running long on our street so don't know the full ins and outs I'm sure it will be fixed but I had to sort my o2/VM issue before Christmas hence another reason staying with VM I couldn't trust BT to get my line in before Christmas they had to work around my schedule not theirs.

I'm a nice bloke Chris so don't take my remarks to heart.

Associate
They are being told porkies then that is simple, I've seen on BT forums about the upload being capped at 50mb on the 900mb package that is a simple fix but he was only getting 34 max surely that can't be the cap! I pointed that issue to him and left it with him to sort but the others were also seeing much lesser upload speeds on their packages. I will ask again in a few days if any have been in touch I know a few who don't care but the one on the 900mb package will.

Associate
I might have got the speeds wrong 0007 must be the 500mb package a couple are on, the one on 900mb is over the road this is the one I wanted myself but the slow download and upload speeds he was having when I went over put me off. I actually sent him a file to download from my 1fichier account and he couldn't hit over half the download speed I get.

I've just downloaded the same file he wasn't hitting half this
Screenshot-2021-12-05-234809.png

Like I have said to Chris, I have told him to ask BT I haven't seen him for a few days so not asked if it's any better. When I see him I will also mention about seeing if he's got the correct SLT or profile whatever it's called with BT, until I have seen him again I can't say much more. I'm not asking the other neighbours don't talk to them that much, asking them a few weeks back was a one of thing.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I might have got the speeds wrong 0007 must be the 500mb package a couple are on, the one on 900mb is over the road this is the one I wanted myself but the slow download and upload speeds he was having when I went over put me off. I actually sent him a file to download from my 1fichier account and he couldn't hit over half the download speed I get.

BT FTTP and I get 90MB/s (single thread) from 1fichier.

Permabanned
Hmm I checked online yesterday and nowt......gonna hassle chat. :cry:

Seems I can get it, lets see how much they try and shaft a loyal 20 year+ customer :p

#standard arguing with chat

50 minutes of arguing later, "upgraded" to the ultimate volt for extra £4 a month, hopefully be some competition next time have to change......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom