• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will it make much difference going from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 5800X for VR

Associate
Hi
As title,
I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600.
I play only sim racing in VR.

After fiddling around with the graphics and supersampling settings on my 3080ti FE I'm getting around 80 Fps at roughly 90% Gpu performance but Gpu usage can briefly drop to 62%. No dropped frames. Less than 1% reprojection. Much of the graphics settings are on high and ultra. Supersampling is set to 1.0 If I push supersampling higher, I get choppy gameplay.

According to FpsVr my 3600 cpu is showing CPU usage 33% and CPUs is around 75%

Now, I'm not sure what the difference between CPU and CPUs is within FPSVR but a quick google seems to suggest CPU% is cpu usage but CPUs is an average instantaneous usage for all cores.

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm confused on that. Is my 3600 struggling?

I'd rather not have to cough up another few hundred pounds just to get a small gain in Frames per second. But a huge gain, I'd be happy to part with my cash for.

Would a Ryzen 5800X allow me to push up the supersampling?

Your words of wisdom are welcomed, please.

Soldato
There should be a decent bump due to clock speed and cores, going from 3600 to 5800x, but as mentioned supersampling is GPU related. The 5800X would probably feed the GPU better but whether you think that's a good price to pay for this, your call.

Soldato
There's 2 issues:

1. The 3600 isn't actually that fast of a CPU for gaming.
2. Nvidia GPUs require more CPU power than AMD GPUs in order to properly stretch their legs.

Don't pay much attention to CPU usage metrics, they're too non-specific and will not tell you anything useful for gaming.

For you with a 3080 Ti there's no doubt that the 3600 is holding you back significantly but at this point if staying on AM4 I'd wait for the V-cache versions before upgrading as more cache is huge for frametimes & overall smoother gaming.

Associate
OP
Thank you for that.
I wasn't sure if SS was anything to do with a cpu.
Nice to know a newer cpu could improve things though. Possibly by a reasonably noticeable margin by the sounds of it.

I might have to wait a while though.
Since posting this question this morning I've just splurged £400 on an impulse buy in the MM for a Fanatec wheel and rim.

Maybe I should stop thinking about graphics so much and actually try learning how to race :)

Soldato
Thank you for that.
I wasn't sure if SS was anything to do with a cpu.
Nice to know a newer cpu could improve things though. Possibly by a reasonably noticeable margin by the sounds of it.

I might have to wait a while though.
Since posting this question this morning I've just splurged £400 on an impulse buy in the MM for a Fanatec wheel and rim.

Maybe I should stop thinking about graphics so much and actually try learning how to race :)

The 5 generation day and night improvement. Especially with higher end cards

Back
Top Bottom