Warranty question

Associate
Hello,

I bought a pre build from OCuk and its under their warranty. I recently had a new motherboard fitted for it and it occurred to me that this may void the warranty I have for it. Does anybody know any information as I can't seem to find any OCUK warranty info online?

Soldato
Almost certainly void, yes. It's provided as a system, not on the individual components. A graphics card swap for example would be reasonable as it's a peripheral. Warranty would still cover the rest of the system. Mainboard ... no.

Why didn't you go to OCUK for the new motherboard?

Associate
OP
Almost certainly void, yes. It's provided as a system, not on the individual components. A graphics card swap for example would be reasonable as it's a peripheral. Warranty would still cover the rest of the system. Mainboard ... no.

Why didn't you go to OCUK for the new motherboard?

It just didn't make sense to me to pay for packaging and sending my PC 200+ miles away to Overclockers for something I can just get fitted with the help of friends within a few hours.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will more than likely void the 'OCUK standard warranty' as a board could impact the rest of the pc i.e If the pc suddenly became unstable it is unlikely they would help (Assuming you had to return it). You will still have the manufacturers warranty though.

Soldato
Depends on the company, opening case could void warranty on the components inside the PC, but it wouldn't be reasonble the monitor warranty is also void. Also I'd say thinks like HDD warranty isn't void, but again depends on the company. But you still have warranty on each component, however if you DIY then possible retailer can say damage to one or more components was done by you.

A graphics card swap for example would be reasonable as it's a peripheral.

You would need to break open the case to change that, plus if you've pushed it in incorrectly or ripped it out without flipping the tab, or pushed it in with cable trapped in PCI-E slot etc which shorts something out, or use a too high powered GPU on a budget PSU build...

Soldato
It will more than likely void the 'OCUK standard warranty' as a board could impact the rest of the pc i.e If the pc suddenly became unstable it is unlikely they would help (Assuming you had to return it). You will still have the manufacturers warranty though.

Depends how the parts were sourced. Retail boxed - fine. If it's system integrator stock then it may have less warranty as it's intended for prebuilds...

Depends on the company, opening case could void warranty on the components inside the PC, but it wouldn't be reasonble the monitor warranty is also void. Also I'd say thinks like HDD warranty isn't void, but again depends on the company. But you still have warranty on each component, however if you DIY then possible retailer can say damage to one or more components was done by you.

You would need to break open the case to change that, plus if you've pushed it in incorrectly or ripped it out without flipping the tab, or pushed it in with cable trapped in PCI-E slot etc which shorts something out, or use a too high powered GPU on a budget PSU build...

Nah. Warranty void if opened stickers count for nothing. They were never enforceable even when I worked at PC World in the late 90s.

Soldato
Would just need to refit the old board if you wanted to make a warranty claim assuming it wasn't the new board that failed while if it was the new board that failed then you would just send that back to either the retailer you bought it from or RMA with the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom