Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
I just can’t see how F1 and sustainability can ever feature in the same sentence. The F1 circus must be one of if not THE most environmentally damaging sports there is going, particularly when you consider how many people actually participate. The issue isn’t them ragging some cars round a racetrack, it’s the air miles F1 racks up which is what is utterly bonkers these days.

F1 has an environmental impact roughly equivalent to each person watching it eating one extra hamburger a year. When you have a very large audience for a sporting event, as F1 does, the sensible way to view its impact is as divided across that audience. It's probably substantially more sustainable than many other pass-times already.

Soldato
F1 has an environmental impact roughly equivalent to each person watching it eating one extra hamburger a year. When you have a very large audience for a sporting event, as F1 does, the sensible way to view its impact is as divided across that audience. It's probably substantially more sustainable than many other pass-times already.

If that’s how you want to split the stats and makes you sleep at night ;) it still doesn’t change the utter colossal carbon footprint of F1.

I fully expect the true size of it is equivalent to a small country.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Any sporting event that requires people to travel to a single location to watch it, is inherently bad for the environment.

As an example:
British GP - 200,000 fans travelling by plane, car, train or bus to Silverstone
Haulage for team equipment via air freight + travel for team
Fuel, tyres and other consumables used for and by F1 cars

There's no way F1 is going carbon neutral and I say that as someone that manages sustainability for a large pharmaceutical supply chain. Often these companies plant trees to "off-set" their carbon which is all a bit of a nonsense really.

Caporegime
Any sporting event that requires people to travel to a single location to watch it, is inherently bad for the environment.

As an example:
British GP - 200,000 fans travelling by plane, car, train or bus to Silverstone
Haulage for team equipment via air freight + travel for team
Fuel, tyres and other consumables used for and by F1 cars

There's no way F1 is going carbon neutral and I say that as someone that manages sustainability for a large pharmaceutical supply chain. Often these companies plant trees to "off-set" their carbon which is all a bit of a nonsense really.
F1 itself has been carbon neutral for quite a while, they can’t really be held responsible for the fans travel though.

Soldato
F1 itself has been carbon neutral for quite a while, they can’t really be held responsible for the fans travel though.

I’d love to see a source for that given their target is 2030 and they estimate their own 2019 footprint was at least 250,000 tons of which 45% was freight and they have since added more fly away races into the mix.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's all carbon credits isn't it?
Doesn't matter they are making more net emissions as they just buy more carbon credits instead
Indeed and this is what annoys me.

Like I said, I work for a mega corp and last year they wanted our plant to be "green" and have all fuel from sustainable sources.

We get our power from an elec supplier that buys carbon tokens, so we're good. I tried to point out that we couldn't retrospectively buy carbon tokens.... the power has already been used. Apparently I know nothing and it's totally legit.

:rolleyes:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A great video detailing the career of Kimi :cool:

I admit, I chuckled way too hard at the steering wheel radio message! What a legend.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

YouTube actually suggested that to me, I went to bed last night listening to the first part and just finished it off. Really interesting.
I subscribe to that podcast, some of the guests have been really interesting. Even drivers that I'd had no care for (K. Mag) were good and the guy that invented the semi-automatic gearbox that's used today, or the unlimited gear CVT gearbox which was trialled with Williams etc... that is one of the best interviews ever. Listening to him explain how he invented all of this crazy stuff was jaw dropping.

Back
Top Bottom